The Student Room Group

GCSE Graphics help!!

Well basically, I'm in year 11 and doing GCSE graphics and it's such a pain. I'm expected to get an A/A* in all my other subjects so I don't want graphics bringing me down.

I was wondering, is our school the only one that still hasn't started theory revision? We only have 4 months of school before exams now and we still haven't started doing theory. No clue how I'll even pass the exam tbh.

I have another question. My design brief is: Design and make the packaging and promotional material for a commemorative product for a major sporting event of your choice. My question is, what does it mean by promotional material? Should I make leaflets or banners etc?

Also, does anyone have any example of A* Graphics coursework? I don't think anyone in our school has even got an A*, at least not in the last few years, so our teacher doesn't really have examples of good coursework that I can refer to. Any help will be much appreciated, I'm stressing out loads.
Reply 1
I did Graphics last year. Our teacher let the whole class down. We did coursework all the way up until April. He told most of us we were looking at As/A*s. Got them sent off for marking. Not one single person got above a B. We only did a couple of weeks of exam theory, so I think we all knew we'd been screwed over. I got a C in the end, despite expecting an A* for most of the year.

Definitely start theory now!
Reply 2
Thank you both so much! Although you've made me terrified now lol but it's better to know beforehand that I need to start theory revision early.
Reply 3
Original post by mxgx
Thank you both so much! Although you've made me terrified now lol but it's better to know beforehand that I need to start theory revision early.

not trying to scare you! just trying to warn you. Don't want anyone else to have to go through what I did. It was my only grade below a B and I regret it so much. Just don't stress. With your coursework, make sure you stick to the deadlines, try to get ahead if you can, that'll allow you time to add extra bits that could give you more marks. Read all the specification and make sure you have met all the requirements well.

If you do what you have to do it's actually quite likely you'll get a high grade. I've heard a fair few people who got 100% on coursework and smashed the exam.

If you need help be sure to ask! That's what we're here for
Reply 4
Thank you so much!! That's actually been really helpful and relieving. Also, do you have any idea where I can find A* level examples of graphics coursework? I really want something to refer to, to see how I compare.
Reply 5
Original post by mxgx
Thank you so much!! That's actually been really helpful and relieving. Also, do you have any idea where I can find A* level examples of graphics coursework? I really want something to refer to, to see how I compare.

What exam board are you doing?
Original post by mxgx
Well basically, I'm in year 11 and doing GCSE graphics and it's such a pain. I'm expected to get an A/A* in all my other subjects so I don't want graphics bringing me down.

I was wondering, is our school the only one that still hasn't started theory revision? We only have 4 months of school before exams now and we still haven't started doing theory. No clue how I'll even pass the exam tbh.

I have another question. My design brief is: Design and make the packaging and promotional material for a commemorative product for a major sporting event of your choice. My question is, what does it mean by promotional material? Should I make leaflets or banners etc?

Also, does anyone have any example of A* Graphics coursework? I don't think anyone in our school has even got an A*, at least not in the last few years, so our teacher doesn't really have examples of good coursework that I can refer to. Any help will be much appreciated, I'm stressing out loads.

Which exam board is it? Go to the website and look for past papers and examples of coursework. Is there a textbook you use?

I know some of our students use this website:

http://www.technologystudent.com/

It looks a bit childsih but they usually have something for the current coursework task. If you google a recent event e.g Rugby World Cup, Olympics 2012 you will find commemorative stuff - it's a fairly wide brief.
sorry to use your thread ( anyone done A level graphics here?)
Reply 9
I'm doing AQA, for everyone asking. Also thank you for all the links!
Original post by mxgx
I'm doing AQA, for everyone asking. Also thank you for all the links!

http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/design-and-technology/gcse/design-and-technology-graphic-products-4550/past-papers-and-mark-schemes

The AQA site has examiner reports which are useful.

I'm not sure you'll find an example coursework anywhere though.
https://www.tes.com/teaching-resource/aqa-graphic-products-example-folder-a-6112385
http://www.sunderlandschools.org/southmoorcs/images/folder/parents&pupils/studysupport/pdfs/gp3543.pdf
the second one is really good- i used the product design one last year.
Hope it helps!

I dint get any theory lessons until the week before we broke up, get the textbook/revision guide and do your own revision, the best thing are past papers, though i'd start around easter otherwise you'll forget everything anyway! :biggrin: good luck
Reply 12
Thank you both :smile:
Reply 13
I got an A at GCSE graphics, and am currently doing it at AS. We did not get taught any theory until coursework was finished which was around February time.

The paper is made up of a multiple choice section, materials, processes & a design question. To get a head start I would suggest looking at different printing processes such as offset lithography, gravure ect. I would also suggest looking at finishing processes & materials. Most of the basics can be found on BBC Bitesize. The design question is 16 marks, and as daunting as it sounds, is an easy 16 marks to gain, so don't worry about that just now. Edexcel (if that is your exam board) have a few past papers up on their website. The textbook is also very helpful and has everything in it, so I would recommend that too.

I hope this is kind of helpful - don't stress out too much, the papers are usually pretty nice & graphics is one of the last exams there is so there is plenty of time!
Reply 14
Did the material take over most of your time? Was you still able to get other subjects done

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending