The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Law or History degree?

I want to be a lawyer, but I need to send my personal statement of yet not sure which one to take up in uni? Law or historiy in kings college? I enjoy history but don't know if a history degree could get me in a top law firm compared to a law degree?
Original post by liyyaaa
I want to be a lawyer, but I need to send my personal statement of yet not sure which one to take up in uni? Law or historiy in kings college? I enjoy history but don't know if a history degree could get me in a top law firm compared to a law degree?

Do a law degree. You want to be a lawyer and you won't get the law knowledge from studying history.

If you were to study history, you would need a second degree once you finish your first. A masters in law, something like that.
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
If you want to be a lawyer, do a law degree.
Non-law graduates can also become a lawyer by doing a conversion post-graduate diploma or degree. Not uncommon and not necessarily a disadvantage either. A top judge once said that those who did a non-law first degree may actually be better lawyers because of their broader education, and History is of course a good subject to develop analytical and writing skills. If all your other choices are law, then you are better off with applying for law so that your PS is consistent.

Quick Reply