The Student Room Group

What's wrong with me?

Hi everyone,

I am seeking some personal advice on how I can get myself back on track academically.

Currently, I am in my second year of university studying for a undergraduate law degree. I've always been a high achieving student. I excelled in my GCSEs and A Levels, which I largely attribute to good study habits. As a result of doing so well, I was able to get into a really good university (one of the best in the UK).

However, as I started my degree my study habits took a nosedive and I was really struggling to even motivate myself to get weekly assignments done, let alone study for exams. In my first year I felt like I was just coasting through everything - that is to say that I was putting in minimal effort just so I could pass. In the end, I scrapped a low 2.1 for my first year exams, which I was proud to have achieved considering I was sure I'd get a 2.2.

I feel terrible as I am academically a ghost of my former self. I don't fully understand why I am doing so badly now when in the past I was a very capable student.

I guess it could be because:
(a) Before university, I was a 'big fish in a small pond'. Now at university, everyone is clever and I can't compete anymore.
(b) I am not really interested in my degree at all so I find it hard to concentrate on.
(c) I am stuck in a cycle of stress that makes me do poorly.

Is anyone in or has anyone been in a similar situation? How can I get my academics back on track?

Another thing I need to mention is that I have 3 mini-exams coming up in a weeks time that I have not even started revision for. How can I use my time most effectively in terms of cramming techniques etc?

Thanks a lot in advance.
Hmm, I also suspect it's point b) because law is as dull as anything. If you don't want to go into the profession I'd suggest you study something that you enjoy. Why do you think lawyers etc earn so much money - you have to pay them back for the boring years studying Law.

Is it too late to switch courses? Think about the financial outlay too. Are you really going to get into debt over something so unfulfilling?

As for the three mini-exams, come on get off TSR and get back to work. Seriously though, one tip I learnt in a procrastination class was just give yourself a 15 deadline i.e. tell yourself I'm going to revise for 15 mins. Once you get started, before you know it an hour has passed. Try it, it really works.
I am going through the same problem (different course though) and I also have 5 exams in a week's time and can't bring myself to do anything at all but stress out at everything and sleep. I wish we could find a solution to this because it's seriously an annoying problem. :frown:
I have had the exact same problem ! I too was one of the brightest in my year group, and then went to study law at a top rated university and just sank.

i was extremely hard working in school and always thoroughly revised for every single test, whereas now i struggle to sometimes get homework done on time. i have a fiercely competitive nature, so when i struggled to even be in the top percent of students on my course, my confidence plummeted.

I think I have just learnt that i am now in a completely different environment and i shouldnt make myself miserable over the fact that i am not at the top of my game anymore. my second year so far has been much better than my first year so i have been trying to get myself back on track.

i just wanted to let you know that you are not alone out there and there are others in the exact same shoes as you.

i am so glad i found this thread as it makes me feel so much better knowing that i am not the only one that feels this way. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending