The Student Room Group

150 Armed Men occupies Malheur National Wildlife Refuge!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by abruiseonthesky
Yet when a single unarmed black protester is on the street he gets mobbed by police.

If these protesters were/are just peacefully protesting then what's the need to carry weapons..?

Oregon wildlife reserve means that they're not too far away from bears.

I'd be going armed if I were in their position.
Original post by MatureStudent36
Oregon wildlife reserve means that they're not too far away from bears.I'd be going armed if I were in their position.

Nice try but it's comical. The wildlife reserve in question is most famous for the bird watching and trekking, among other things.

It's certainly not a sanctuary overrun by bears to suggest one needs to carry arms because the bears have received a memo to strike down anyone everyone occupying the reserve.

And bringing all this when the thugs themselves have claimed they are willing to fight "the oppressors"? Talk about desperate clutching on loose straws....

Original post by DiddyDec
A burglar is simply there to steal your stuff. The militia are being quite peaceful other than the trespassing.

Tbh I also wouldn't mind hearing your definition for "intimidation"
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by QE2
Much in the same way that a burglar means no harm to the homeowner unless they "provoke" them, I guess.

A burglar is simply there to steal your stuff. The militia are being quite peaceful other than the trespassing.
Reply 63
I'm sure a burglar will be quite peaceful until they are "provoked". Even then, I'm not sure if they publicly state that "lives will be lost" if the authorities interfere with their illegal activities.

They're sat in a building ain't they?
Original post by DiceTheSlice
Nice try but it's comical. The wildlife reserve in question is most famous for the bird watching and trekking, among other things.

It's certainly not a sanctuary overrun by bears to suggest one needs to carry arms because the bears have received a memo to strike down anyone everyone occupying the reserve.

And bringing all this when the thugs themselves have claimed they are willing to fight "the oppressors"? Talk about desperate clutching on loose straws....

Tbh I also wouldn't mind hearing your definition for "intimidation"

PRSOM
Reply 66
Have they committed any violent acts? No.

I feel they do have a point from what little information I have on the case. The 2 men in question have already been to prison and served their time, they were then let out only to be resentenced to be sent back in. That doesn't sound very fair to me.

They planned to occupy the building, it wasn't a spur of the moment thing. I highly doubt there would have planned to occupy an open building and risk harming innocent people.

So occupy the building and protest. What's the need to carry assault rifles, and stating that they would use them...?
Reply 67

I'm sure all those who visit the wildlife reserve and the employees who work there don't carry AR-15s.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by wyp87
I'm sure all those who visit the wildlife reserve and the employees who work there don't carry AR-15s.

Nope. But go to those parts of America and Canada and you'll find an awful lot carry similar.
Reply 69
Nope. But go to those parts of America and Canada and you'll find an awful lot carry similar.

Point taken. I myself support the Second Amendment right to bear arms, and I understand the point of these militias as a way to check federal encroachment on civil rights, both enemies domestic or foreign.

I just see that carrying firearms to a 'peaceful' protest to be contradictory that's all.
Original post by abruiseonthesky
which still doesn't mean they have to take them everywhere

Idk personally if I wanted to have a peaceful protest I'd go unarmed, just as a gesture

Look at occupy wall street for what happens if you try to protest without arms. You get pepper sprayed and kettled. The 1st ammendment relies on the 2nd.
Also, I don't think I've seen anyone mention the motive for the occupation yet. This is a state militia in protest against the federal government for trying to buy some privately owned grazing land constantly and trying to keep pushing arson charges on the land owner to try and get the land.

The USA isn't like England, it's a republic. Taking arms against the government when the government is committing a perceived injustice is what you're supposed to do to check government power and maintain your republic.

Canadian gun control is nearly as strict as the uk.
Automatic weapons are illegal although semi automatics are
Original post by wyp87
Point taken. I myself support the Second Amendment right to bear arms, and I understand the point of these militias as a way to check federal encroachment on civil rights, both enemies domestic or foreign.

I just see that carrying firearms to a 'peaceful' protest to be contradictory that's all.

We don't have a culture in the uk of carrying guns so it's difficult to understand. Those in America (and Canada) will carry guns to the supermarket. In many cases a gun is like a wallet, car keys, mobile phone.

Of course if they're carrying guns to intimidate, that's wrong, but it's normal for many people. There's still a wild west mentality in big parts of America because of the large rural expanse of the place.
Original post by domonict
Canadian gun control is nearly as strict as the uk.
Automatic weapons are illegal although semi automatics are

Automatic weapons are also illegal in most US states. An AR15 is an automatic assault rifle, but they get modified to semi automatic status.
Original post by mechanicsonejune

The USA isn't like England, it's a republic. Taking arms against the government when the government is committing a perceived injustice is what you're supposed to do to check government power and maintain your republic.

I think the general idea is that you are supposed to go to court, actually, in a civilised country.
Automatic weapons are also illegal in most US states. An AR15 is an automatic assault rifle, but they get modified to semi automatic status.

I thought the AR-15 was semi auto as standard which can be modified with a sear block to make full auto.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't see this ending well, but that might just be me being cynical.

Though its shocking how the American police will respond to black protesters not engaging in illegal actions vs white protesters armed and engage in illegal protests.

May be being armed is the only way to stop the American police using excessive force.
I thought the AR-15 was semi auto as standard which can be modified with a sear block to make full auto.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's semi automatic, and can be modified however an illegal fully automatic can be bought just as easily.
Original post by garfeeled
I don't see this ending well, but that might just be me being cynical.

Though its shocking how the American police will respond to black protesters not engaging in illegal actions vs white protesters armed and engage in illegal protests.

May be being armed is the only way to stop the American police using excessive force.

The Bundy standoff didn't end in violence.

The police aren't going risk getting themselves shot over a shack in the middle of nowhere, nor do they want to anger the rest of the very well armed militias

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending