The Student Room Group

~ AQA English Lit and Lang (current spec) Guide ~

Hi everyone, I thought I'd update my guide for everyone taking what will probably be the last round of these English exams! This guide will be on how to go about answering these exams:

AQA English Language (4705)
AQA English Literature (9715)
English Language
Section A - Reading - 1 hour 15 mins
1) Pick out facts from a non-fiction text and make judgements from it

Tips and Tricks

2) Write about the layout features of a text

Tips and Tricks

3) Write about the thoughts and feelings of a character/ the author

Tips and Tricks

4) Compare two texts and the ways they use language

Tips and Tricks

Section B - Writing - 1 hour
In both questions you will be asked to write a non-fiction text about a given topic

Tips and Tricks

English Literature
Paper 1 - Exploring modern texts - 1 hour 30 mins
Section A) Modern prose or drama

Tips and Tricks

Section B) Exploring cultures

Tips and Tricks

Paper 2 - Poetry across time - 1 hour 15 mins
Section A) Anthology

Tips and Tricks

Section B) Unseen poetry

Tips and Tricks

I hope this has helped some of you! If you have any other questions then please respond on here :h:
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hi what is the "Peter" paragraph?
Original post by Real_jenn
Hi what is the "Peter" paragraph?

It's explained under question 4 of the English language section :h:
This is really helpful. Thank you, Gingerbread! :tongue:
Reply 4
If anyone could make something similar to this but for WJEC English Language and Literature (I'm taking my exams for it this summer), I would greatly appreciate it.
Original post by Kaiylar
If anyone could make something similar to this but for WJEC English Language and Literature (I'm taking my exams for it this summer), I would greatly appreciate it.

I'm considering learning the exam and mark scheme for WJEC English as it's the next most popular to AQA, but this would probably be done some time in the February half term :smile:
Original post by karmacrunch
This is really helpful. Thank you, Gingerbread! :tongue:

Reply 7
Original post by Gingerbread101
I'm considering learning the exam and mark scheme for WJEC English as it's the next most popular to AQA, but this would probably be done some time in the February half term :smile:

Great, I'd really appreciate it! :smile:
Hi, just thought that I'd that for AQA GCSE English Literature, there is also an option for Unit 4 (which I am taking instead of Unit 2) which is the exam called 'Approaching Shakespeare and the English Literary Heritage'.
Section A is an extract based on the Shakespeare play, followed by an essay question referring to the whole play. (30 marks)
Section B is an essay on the literary heritage book (24 marks) :smile:
Thanks.
This has been really useful to me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by surina16
Hi, just thought that I'd that for AQA GCSE English Literature, there is also an option for Unit 4 (which I am taking instead of Unit 2) which is the exam called 'Approaching Shakespeare and the English Literary Heritage'.
Section A is an extract based on the Shakespeare play, followed by an essay question referring to the whole play. (30 marks)
Section B is an essay on the literary heritage book (24 marks) :smile:
Ah, I didn't know this section existed :colondollar:
If I have time to research the WJEC exam then I will also research how to complete this one :smile:
Ah, I didn't know this section existed :colondollar:
If I have time to research the WJEC exam then I will also research how to complete this one :smile:

yeah, it's a horrible section tbh - Macbeth and Pride and Prejudice :redface:
and thanks for the thread so far, been really useful :biggrin:
I'm doing AQA literature 87101H
Does this apply to me??
Is this the new spec. Im in year 10.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by haseeb798
Is this the new spec. Im in year 10.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nope, this is the current spec as in the title :smile:

Original post by goldenusername
I'm doing AQA literature 87101H
Does this apply to me??

Is that IGCSE? This is for the AQA GCSE English Literature exam, if the questions I've talked about don't match up with the questions on your exam, then that's a simple way to tell if it applies to you :tongue:
Ok
Do I mind me asking how u revising for English language and literature as they are my weakest subjects and how to improve from a C to an A or A*?
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by haseeb798
Ok
Do I mind me asking how u revising for English language and literature as they are my weakest subjects and how to improve from a C to an A or A*?
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

I made another thread on revision techniques here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3904381 :smile:

Also, if you click the 'reply' button at the bottom of someone's post before typing your reply, it will notify them that you have replied :smile:
Nope, this is the current spec as in the title :smile:

Is that IGCSE? This is for the AQA GCSE English Literature exam, if the questions I've talked about don't match up with the questions on your exam, then that's a simple way to tell if it applies to you :tongue:

Sorry about that, I just found out today it's igcse AQA 😂
This is very helpful, thank you!
I think the section I'm most worried about is unseen poetry...:frown:
Original post by Smidge_midge
This is very helpful, thank you!
I think the section I'm most worried about is unseen poetry...:frown:

Just approach it with an open mind - you can never be wrong as long as you back up your points :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending