The Student Room Group

Some of these universities are too stringent on their requirements in my opinion.

Oxbridge may well have some of the best students in the uk, but do you really think you can tell the cut of someone's gib by their exam grades? What about other factors such as the ability to manage a family or play the guitar?

Just saying!
ye tru oxford should ask you to play guitar for them before accepting you
They look for that as well (though not specifically the guitar thing). Good grades on their own don't get you into Oxbridge.
Original post by john2054
Oxbridge may well have some of the best students in the uk, but do you really think you can tell the cut of someone's gib by their exam grades? What about other factors such as the ability to manage a family or play the guitar?

Just saying!

They don't just use exam grades (although they're not going to be very interested in whether you can manage a family or play the guitar since that doesn't have any influence on your academic ability, and after all it's an academic institution, not a life-coaching service).
Isn't that what ECF is for......?
Reply 5
Original post by Plagioclase
They don't just use exam grades (although they're not going to be very interested in whether you can manage a family or play the guitar since that doesn't have any influence on your academic ability, and after all it's an academic institution, not a life-coaching service).

believe it or not but 'self development' was probably the key thing on my department's syllabus when i looked. Please don't try to undermine my achievements. Any one who is able to manage a spouse and child, AND play the guitar as well as reading for a degree, deserves a medal i my opinion. Obviously the trolls will rule the day?
believe it or not but 'self development' was probably the key thing on my department's syllabus when i looked. Please don't try to undermine my achievements. Any one who is able to manage a spouse and child, AND play the guitar as well as reading for a degree, deserves a medal i my opinion. Obviously the trolls will rule the day?

Out of interest, which department is this? I've just had a look at my own faculty and no where does it mention self development as an admission criteria.

I'm not entirely sure why you think having a family and playing the guitar means a university should therefore lower its admission criteria. Certainly, the fact that you can juggle multiple commitments might be indicative of a capacity for hard work and good time management, but fundamentally, it says nothing about how good you are at your chosen subject. For example, that I can play two instruments provides no indication as to the strength of my legal reasoning skills.
Reply 7
Original post by mishieru07
Out of interest, which department is this? I've just had a look at my own faculty and no where does it mention self development as an admission criteria.

I'm not entirely sure why you think having a family and playing the guitar means a university should therefore lower its admission criteria. .

this is a quote from the syllabus/prospectus for my dissertation at the moment. Actually this wasn't the original document i saw a couple of years ago, but i couldn't find that again.

The emphasis is on 'self development' and not just academic rigour. I may be wrong, but having nearly done one i was under the impression that a degree was more than just about, getting the grades. Again, I may be wrong.

'This module also encourages students to reflect on their development... and the preparation which this has given them for life post graduation. Consequently, this module is also supported by input in relation to personal development planning... addressing topics such as career planning, reflective skills and post graduate study opportunities.'

Again please notice the emphasis on 'personal development'. This must be unique to my university then. And granted it says nothing about my playing the guitar, or with the minions. But like i said, it's not just about the grades. Not at Derby univeristy anyway.
this is a quote from the syllabus/prospectus for my dissertation at the moment. Actually this wasn't the original document i saw a couple of years ago, but i couldn't find that again.

The emphasis is on 'self development' and not just academic rigour. I may be wrong, but having nearly done one i was under the impression that a degree was more than just about, getting the grades. Again, I may be wrong.

'This module also encourages students to reflect on their development... and the preparation which this has given them for life post graduation. Consequently, this module is also supported by input in relation to personal development planning... addressing topics such as career planning, reflective skills and post graduate study opportunities.'

Again please notice the emphasis on 'personal development'. This must be unique to my university then. And granted it says nothing about my playing the guitar, or with the minions. But like i said, it's not just about the grades. Not at Derby univeristy anyway.

I'm not really sure that the passage you've quoted really supports your argument that a university (in this context, Oxford in particular) ought to factor non-academic/ personal factors into its admission criteria. As I understand it, the description merely says that students will also be supported in relation to personal development planning, which includes stuff like career and postgrad options. Certainly, we do get that sort of support at Oxford, but that's not the admissions criteria.

I've done two degrees at Oxford, and I can tell you that Oxford degrees are very much all about academic rigour. Tutors don't take students on the basis that they think they'll have "personal development" on the course. They admit students who they believe have the intellectual capacity and aptitude to thrive at Oxford. A degree is fundamentally about developing one's understanding and knowledge of a specific area of study from an academic perspective. The personal development stuff is an ancillary and non-mandatory component.
Reply 9
I'm not really sure that the passage you've quoted really supports your argument that a university (in this context, Oxford in particular) ought to factor non-academic/ personal factors into its admission criteria. As I understand it, the description merely says that students will also be supported in relation to personal development planning, which includes stuff like career and postgrad options. Certainly, we do get that sort of support at Oxford, but that's not the admissions criteria.

I've done two degrees at Oxford, and I can tell you that Oxford degrees are very much all about academic rigour. Tutors don't take students on the basis that they think they'll have "personal development" on the course. They admit students who they believe have the intellectual capacity and aptitude to thrive at Oxford. A degree is fundamentally about developing one's understanding and knowledge of a specific area of study from an academic perspective. The personal development stuff is an ancillary and non-mandatory component.

Good points. I don't want to argue with you. You clearly know everything and i am as of yet, yet not a graduate. Give me a few more months? BTW have you ever been out?
Good points. I don't want to argue with you. You clearly know everything and i am as of yet, yet not a graduate. Give me a few more months? BTW have you ever been out?

Not sure I understand your question. What do you mean by have I ever been out? Out as in do I have a social life? Or are you referring to something else?
Not sure I understand your question. What do you mean by have I ever been out? Out as in do I have a social life? Or are you referring to something else?

He just being aargorant with oxford sterotypes.
Reply 12

I meant out as in clubbing. As in there is actually a different world other than high level academia. But also I was just getting angst. You can ignore me if you like? Thanks.
I meant out as in clubbing. As in there is actually a different world other than high level academia. But also I was just getting angst. You can ignore me if you like? Thanks.

In terms of inter-personal interaction and emotional maturity, you could do with some 'personal development'
Reply 14
Original post by colourtheory
In terms of inter-personal interaction and emotional maturity, you could do with some 'personal development'

how can you verify this claim? you know little to nothing about me, other than what i've spammed on tsr over the past couple of weeks or so??
how can you verify this claim? you know little to nothing about me, other than what i've spammed on tsr over the past couple of weeks or so??

I'm making an educated deduction on the evidence made available to me (like any good History student at Oxford). In terms of emotional maturity you are what I perceive you to be, that is to say you came across as arrogant and immature.
Reply 16
Original post by colourtheory
I'm making an educated deduction on the evidence made available to me (like any good History student at Oxford). In terms of emotional maturity you are what I perceive you to be, that is to say you came across as arrogant and immature.

Again your making bold claims. Did you know that i fought for and won a long legal battle with regards to my wife's legal status, finally in my favour in 2013? No? But then this was clearly not what 'you perceive me to be'. There is actually a subtle nuance cum philosophy which says you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover. Have you ever heard of that one?

I clearly upset you with some of my spamming on an earlier post, so let's keep this brief. I am very nearly a graduate, and via this title not subject to any demeaning euphemisms you or any one else may choose to level at me.

In 1997 I was hit by a car which changed my life for ever, including a head injury and three weeks in a coma. Anyone who can survive after this kind of life changing event, deserves a medal in my opinion.

As i said above, you shouldn't always judge a book by its cover, okay?

This is about one module and not an entire course, so I'm not sure what you're getting at.

Also, I think you misunderstood the quote - whether you can play the guitar, manage a family, or survive a car crash does in no way affect your performance on this module.

There are some disciplines with modules that look for something similar - in education for example, some assessments might require candidates to reflect on their own learning and/or teaching experience. But the point here is obvious - it focuses on relevant development, not irrelevant ones such as everything you've thrown out.

When a university admits you into a degree, they are saying that you have the necessary knowledge and skills in a certain discipline. My cousin is a multi-times world champion in harmonica, but his university is not going to grant an occupational therapy to him because of that, if he doesn't do well enough in the academic/professional discipline he is in.
Reply 18
Original post by Little Toy Gun
This is about one module and not an entire course, so I'm not sure what you're getting at.

Also, I think you misunderstood the quote - whether you can play the guitar, manage a family, or survive a car crash does in no way affect your performance on this module.

There are some disciplines with modules that look for something similar - in education for example, some assessments might require candidates to reflect on their own learning and/or teaching experience. But the point here is obvious - it focuses on relevant development, not irrelevant ones such as everything you've thrown out.

When a university admits you into a degree, they are saying that you have the necessary knowledge and skills in a certain discipline. My cousin is a multi-times world champion in harmonica, but his university is not going to grant an occupational therapy to him because of that, if he doesn't do well enough in the academic/professional discipline he is in.

You've got some good points little toy gun. Thanks for contributing. PS I also like to spend hours on my xbox one, when i have the time?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending