The Student Room Group

GCSE Grades needed to comfortably be short-listed?

I'm currently in Year 11, wishing to study medicine like the rest of the country and I want to know what GCSE grades and what amount of work experience would be required to be short-listed at
- Oxbridge (Bit of a stretch)
- Southampton
- Bath
- The lowest quality medical school you can think of
Please do not send a link to the Medical School GCSE Requirements page as I know you unlikely to be shortlisted with a C in English, Maths and Science.
Original post by Year11Struggles
I'm currently in Year 11, wishing to study medicine like the rest of the country and I want to know what GCSE grades and what amount of work experience would be required to be short-listed at
- Southampton
- Bath
Please do not send a link to the Medical School GCSE Requirements page as I know you unlikely to be shortlisted with a C in English, Maths and Science.

An average Oxford med applicant has 10.something+A*s..... I don't know what your predicted grades are, but this is an average so you still have a chance with the lower grades.
I don't know about the others.
Also universities know that it is often hard to get experience in a hospital - Get as much experience as you can, but if you're unable to find experience - it's not the end
- Southampton
- Bath

Everyone gets shortlisted at bath, they let anyone in who can find the med school building.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by ForestCat
Everyone gets shortlisted at bath, they let anyone in who can find the med school building.

Posted from TSR Mobile

😂😂😂
Just to clarify to op Bath doesn't do medicine

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mliela
😂😂😂
Just to clarify to op Bath doesn't do medicine

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry, I meant Birmingham. What grades do the average people who get shortlisted at Birmingham and Southampton get?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by iwishicouldfly14
An average Oxford med applicant has 10.something+A*s..... I don't know what your predicted grades are, but this is an average so you still have a chance with the lower grades.
I don't know about the others.
Also universities know that it is often hard to get experience in a hospital - Get as much experience as you can, but if you're unable to find experience - it's not the end

REALISTICALLY Predicted
7A*
Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Maths, Further Maths, English Lang, RS
4A
English Lit
1C
Spanish, taking a language is compulsory in my school :/
REALISTICALLY Predicted
7A*
4A
English Lit
1C

The joys of being forced to take a language *sighs*
Your grades are really good!!
REALISTICALLY Predicted
7A*
4A
English Lit
1C

With those grades Oxford is a no no. They only care about the percentage of your GCSEs that are A* (so with a 7:5 ratio being only 58% that is dramatically below the typical for them). A-levels are not even used.

Cambridge care more about A-levels but you still need to work on that C if you can.
Original post by neuronerd
With those grades Oxford is a no no. They only care about the percentage of your GCSEs that are A* (so with a 7:5 ratio being only 58% that is dramatically below the typical for them). A-levels are not even used.

Cambridge care more about A-levels but you still need to work on that C if you can.

This reply is late *sorry if I am breaking any forum rules*
Don't even know why I wrote Oxbridge at this moment in time
Don't remember ever wanting to do to Oxbridge
Possibly tired or high when I started this thread

What about Southampton?

Possibly tired or high when I started this thread

High? You're not going to make it anywhere until you grow up.
REALISTICALLY Predicted
7A*
4A
English Lit
1C

Decent. Probably not good enough for Oxford as you'll have to compensate for your bad GCSEs in the BMAT and the BMAT is very very tough. You could give Cambridge a try - I had similar grades and got interviewed and rejected after pool - although I'm unsure how the process works now with all the a level reforms.

Original post by hopefuldentist10
High? You're not going to make it anywhere until you grow up.

Nothing wrong with trying new things :smile: I'm sitting here with my offers for Medicine and I've been there, done that.
REALISTICALLY Predicted
7A*
4A
English Lit
1C

If we're talking med schools in the general sense, I'd say that was fine. Obviously some look at GCSEs more heavily than others (Cardiff springs to mind) which is where you need to do your research when you're deciding which unis to apply to.
It's more about being savvy where you apply when it comes to things like GCSE grades tbh - there aren't many places that'll count up the number of A*s you got at GCSE and use it to decide whether they invite you to interview or not.

Quick Reply

Latest