The Student Room Group

Which of these people would you consider to be smartest / most intelligent?

Person A - Gets all As and A*s at GCSE and A level, then goes to a Russell Group University to study History.

Person B - Gets As/Bs and a few Cs at GCSE, leaves school after his GCSEs, starts a company by himself and makes millions in a few years, not because of luck but because of his strong business knowledge
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

person B obvs
Reply 2
B without question
Clearly B, Intelligence is the ability to apply knowledge, not just store it in your brain.
Person A. Person B started with nothing and the company could have gone badly. Also their success doesn't make them more intelligent.
Original post by Cullen66
Person A - Gets all As and A*s at GCSE and A level, then goes to a Russell Group University to study History.

Person B - Gets As/Bs and a few Cs at GCSE, leaves school after his GCSEs, starts a company by himself and makes millions in a few years, not because of luck because of strong business and entrepeneurial knowledge

could be either but there's very few person Bs in the world
"not because of luck but because of strong business knowledge"

lol, literally every successful business ever is mostly luck.
Eh not sure. Success does not equate to intelligence. Otherwise we might as well declare footballers as geniuses.
Reply 10
Original post by Cullen66

Person B - Gets As/Bs and a few Cs at GCSE, leaves school after his GCSEs, starts a company by himself and makes millions in a few years, not because of luck but because of his strong business knowledge

“I failed in some subjects in exam, but my friend passed in all. Now he is an engineer in Microsoft and I am the owner of Microsoft.” - Bill Gates.
Original post by elohssa_59
Eh not sure. Success does not equate to intelligence. Otherwise we might as well declare footballers as geniuses.

But footballers achieve by success by being well trained and talented. While achieving success as a businessperson requires more intelligence than achieving success as a footballer world.
Original post by ForeignStudent34
But footballers achieve by success by being well trained and talented. While achieving success as a businessperson requires more intelligence than achieving success as a footballer world.

Depends on the business; someone like Steve Wozniak is very intelligent and had great success in business. But there are people who are less intelligent who had even more success e.g. Steve Jobs (he is obviously very smart as well - but has nothing on Wozniak)
Reply 13
Not enough information to decide. Motivation is key; starting a business takes a particular drive I think. Not necessarily a mercenary kind of perspective, as he may very much enjoy what he does, but nevertheless a distinct perspective which I do not think is decided by intelligence. And "not because of luck but because of his strong business knowledge" is pretty laughable; there simply has to be a component of luck as far as I'm concerned, at least for that degree of success.
Original post by TheDefiniteArticle
"not because of luck but because of strong business knowledge"

lol, literally every successful business ever is mostly luck.

Nope, if you're intelligent enough you can figure out how to make a business successful without needing luck
Having a strong business acumen does not mean you're intelligent. Look at Donald Trump.
Original post by Obstrepherous
Nope, if you're intelligent enough you can figure out how to make a business successful without needing luck

Really... no, just no.
Original post by TheDefiniteArticle
Really... no, just no.

What is wrong with you haha
Reply 18
Person B. Grades aren't everything and I've met a lot of people who are "book smart" but really lack common sense.
Reply 19
Person C - The observer who makes sweeping generalisations based on very limited information.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending