The Student Room Group

Why do people think geography a weak subject?

Iam doing my alevels studying geography history economics and philosophy. I plan to study geography or finance at university, and well out of my a levels geography seems to be more useful than history and philosophy as well as more challenging, however my fellow students make fun of me for taking geography, why?
Reply 1
It's for all the people that do physics and maths and think that they're better than everyone else.
Reply 2
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=645205

+ i think ppl are just mean about geography cause it's boring
Reply 3
Original post by sami237
Iam doing my alevels studying geography history economics and philosophy. I plan to study geography or finance at university, and well out of my a levels geography seems to be more useful than history and philosophy as well as more challenging, however my fellow students make fun of me for taking geography, why?

Because they are immature and naive.

Most people don't know what Geography really is, and what you actually study ( so many people think all we do is remember names of capital cities and such). I enjoyed the science side of Geography, and actually had the opportunity to use knowledge from my other subject.
Reply 4
Original post by batoot
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=645205

+ i think ppl are just mean about geography cause it's boring

I did find it boring at GCSE.
Who on earth says that Geography is a weak subject? :rofl:

It doesn't appeal to many (incl. myself) for the sole fact that its boring, and I thought (still do) it was slightly bizarre that my friend gets excited about studying rocks or stuff like that...
Reply 6
is gcse geography hard compared to business studies??
Reply 7
Geog is soft af.

Amount of maths and softness has a very strong negative correlation.

If you don't do further maths and physics you're basically on the verge of being retarded.
Reply 8
Original post by ubisoft
Geog is soft af.

If you don't do further maths and physics you're basically on the verge of being retarded.

You say that, but the amount of maths in physics is just poor. The level of maths in physics (a maths based subject at heart) is shocking.
Reply 9
Original post by B_9710
You say that, but the amount of maths in physics is just poor. The level of maths in physics (a maths based subject at heart) is shocking.

Yes it's disgusting how there is no calculus at Alevel physics. Though my point still stands; after maths/fm/afm physics is the most mathematical subject.
Reply 10
They don't want to believe that something that boring could be strong
Reply 11
Original post by ubisoft
Geog is soft af.

To be fair I can see how it is easier than math or physic however I'm by no means retarded I got good grades at GCSE and Iam doing well now. It does not make me, quote, on the verge of being a retard for not doing math or physics, rather I have no interest in doing those subjects to a higher level in order to forge a career.
Reply 12
Original post by ubisoft
Yes it's disgusting how there is no calculus at Alevel physics. Though my point still stands; after maths/fm/afm physics is the most mathematical subject.

I suppose
Original post by ubisoft

Computing is honestly a contender for that as well. In fact, I would argue even chemistry is more mathematical than physics at alevel

Quick Reply