The Student Room Group

IMPERIAL OR UCL ?!?!?!? (Stumped!!)

Well you can probably tell what i want to know but where do you think is a better Uni to go for Maths, Imp or UCL?
Im having trouble deciding i like both of them but think that i would enjoy life at ucl more but Imp would probably get me a better degree at the end......maybe.....

So yea would like your views on which would be a better choice in the long run i.e. future jobs, Uni life, course, how hard etc..

thx
Reply 1
Don't worry about jobs.
take Imperial if you think you can get AAA, I cant imagine the lifestyle being that different, its really up to you to how your time in london goes.
UCL if you think you'll enjoy it more. They're both top unis, so I can't imagine them being that different in terms of course difficulty, job prospects and so on.
Reply 4
Imperial is better.
Reply 5
1. Designate either Imperial or UCL as heads on a coin, and the other as tails.
2. Flip coin
3. ?????
4. PROFIT!!!!
Reply 6
Tabris
1. Designate either Imperial or UCL as heads on a coin, and the other as tails.
2. Flip coin
3. ?????
4. PROFIT!!!!

i did that haha and i got the same number of heads and tails like 100 times :< 50 ucl 50 imperial :s-smilie:
Reply 7
You're only supposed to flip the coin once.
Reply 8
Personally I would choose Imperial over UCL, Imperial is in a nicer area of London (+ better job prospects/degree) and to be honest life in any London uni is what you make of it, neither is gonna limit you in terms of social/night life. Shame I never got to make the decision, Imperial rejected me... :frown:
Reply 9
imperial by far. It has a greater reputation among sciency subjects. Been to both UCL and imperial, found that imperial tutors a bit more laid back-- they dont try to convince to come like UCL. The student life shouldn't be much different from UCL
Reply 10
I chose UCL over Imp for maths, because i've always always loved UCL even more than Oxbridge; I also thought that the multi-faculty atmosphere at UCL will be somewhat more exciting.
Anyway, I'm not here to advertise for UCL. Imperial is also a great place. in the beginning I only applied to Imp as a space filler. but after i visited it, i really liked it. it is considered by some to be more pretigious than UCL in terms of maths and the sciences; but that doesnt mean to say there aren't people who prefer UCL to Imp. plus there isnt much difference between the 2 degrees at all, they are both great degrees
I personally found UCL slightly more laid back than Imp. on my open day, they warned us not to go to Imp if we werent prepare to work hard, haha. but it's not like the students at UCL dont work hard either.

if you are too stuck, think of which one you would regret NOT going to. like if you made UCL firm would you regret not going to Imp? and vice versa. worked for me :smile: also think of the individual subject offers as well, and see which one you can fall back on

best of luck :smile: may see you there :smile:
aimee did Imperial give you an easier offer?
Reply 12
well it depends how you view it
my UCL offer was 36 pts with 766 at higher level, 7 in maths
Imp gave me 38 pts with 66 in maths and physics hl. imp would be my fall back if i didnt get that 7 in maths....providing i get the 38 pts
Ah right I see.
Reply 14
i've got the same thing at the moment, and just can't decide which one to go to, the thing is, with ucl i don't have to push as hard, but imperial is definitely better in terms of location and all that the facilities are just better, but it's seriously geeky, most people there are super geeks which is alright for me cos i'm a super geek (sometimes) but ucl people just seem more normal.....
Reply 15
If you think you will enjoy life at UCL more then go to UCL. :smile:
Reply 16
In my book any uni which stuffs a dead philosopher and gives him a vote in meetings is a uni worth going to

Latest