The Student Room Group

What are Chemistry, Biology, Maths and English Literature like at A-Level?

I'm very interested in studying these subjects, whether it's all 4 to A2 or if I do maths at AS alone... Could you please tell me your personal feelings about the subject, whether it's primarily coursework, whether what you study is interesting, basically any information is useful. Ohh and if anyone is taking 4 A-Levels and finds it too hard or if anyone ever considered the IB? Thanks in advanced 😊

Scroll to see replies

i do edexcel and i do all 4 of those subjects and i find them all really interesting, but i dont do any coursework for any of them
English Lit is god awful-from someone who got 100% in their GCSE and absolutely loved GCSE
I do maths, English lit, drama and media studis for A level and they are all great! Don't listen to the people who say maths is impossible at A level, it's not! If you do the work and revise it's fine. I would reconend you get an A or above at gcse thought. English lit is good but can sometimes be a bit on the boring side and all the reading is long. But it's alright.
Original post by manisha98
i do edexcel and i do all 4 of those subjects and i find them all really interesting, but i dont do any coursework for any of them

Is English Lit similar to what you do at GCSE just a lot more complex or is it entirely different?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by drriversong
English Lit is god awful-from someone who got 100% in their GCSE and absolutely loved GCSE

If you don't mind me asking, why don't you like it at A-Level? Is it hard, boring or? Thanks 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Maths is so good and I love it :love: It's very interesting and quite fun! Also at AS level, the step up from GCSE isn't too much
Original post by Student403
Maths is so good and I love it :love: It's very interesting and quite fun! Also at AS level, the step up from GCSE isn't too much

Maths is really good, C1 is fairly easy if you understood most things from GCSE, it's just a small step up & C2 a little bit harder.
Original post by Calzs34
Maths is really good, C1 is fairly easy if you understood most things from GCSE, it's just a small step up & C2 a little bit harder.

Exactly

And generally schools allow you to pick between Statistics, Mechanics and Decision for the 3rd module which is nice because you can pick your strongest
I teach A-Level chemistry/biology ... What would you like to know?
Original post by HouseOfRichman
Is English Lit similar to what you do at GCSE just a lot more complex or is it entirely different?

It's similar to an extent but I would say very different. You do work more in depth and analysing characters, themes and literal devices, most of it is essay based tbh and it's a lot of work, but if you enjoy it and revise then it's not as difficult, but that's just my opinion. And yes, it's way more complex I would say, but I still love it :smile:
Original post by Mizzy.Hyde
It's similar to an extent but I would say very different. You do work more in depth and analysing characters, themes and literal devices, most of it is essay based tbh and it's a lot of work, but if you enjoy it and revise then it's not as difficult, but that's just my opinion. And yes, it's way more complex I would say, but I still love it :smile:

I do OCR GCSE English Lit and it sounds like exactly what we do at GCSE (obviously it will be a lot more complex) thank you 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lambert87
I teach A-Level chemistry/biology ... What would you like to know?

What exam board do you teach, if you don't mind me asking? If I do decide I will be doing OCR at A-Level (the same board I'm doing now). I guess I'm wondering if there is a lot of controlled assessments because this is where I drop marks I think (I'm not entirely sure but I prefer the exams to the CA). Also, is biology mainly plant based as this is what I have heard from other A-Level students and I absolutely hate B4 in GCSE which is all about plants. Finally, do you think that taking 4 A-Levels will affect my grades in these subjects and do you think that the 4 I've stated are a weird combination (I know they are but I really want English as a back up option)

Posted from TSR Mobile
I absolutely loved A level Biology and English Literature. Both were really enjoyable. Happy to answer any specific questions you may have :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for the information about maths, it looks very interesting and it's reassuring to know there's not a massive jump. I've got an A* in maths at the moment and I'm pretty sure I want to do it at A-Level

Posted from TSR Mobile
What exam board do you teach, if you don't mind me asking? If I do decide I will be doing OCR at A-Level (the same board I'm doing now). I guess I'm wondering if there is a lot of controlled assessments because this is where I drop marks I think (I'm not entirely sure but I prefer the exams to the CA). Also, is biology mainly plant based as this is what I have heard from other A-Level students and I absolutely hate B4 in GCSE which is all about plants. Finally, do you think that taking 4 A-Levels will affect my grades in these subjects and do you think that the 4 I've stated are a weird combination (I know they are but I really want English as a back up option)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I teach AQA now but I've done OCR in the past, there isn't a lot of difference between them anymore.

By the time you do A-Level Chemistry the only CA you will have is the 12 practicals you will have to complete. OCR practicals tend to be more mathematical and thermodynamic bases, whereas AQA is more organic chemistry.

Chemistry A-Level is VERY difficult but if you get it then you will find it extremely interesting. Out of biology and chemistry, chemistry is by far too the most intense and time consuming module.

Biology -- there is a considerable amount of plant biology but not as much as there was. The new curriculum now includes the human genome and gene expression in a lot more detail.. This has reduced the amount of plant biology.

I think maths will help you with biology and definitely chemistry and all three go well together. English is another good subject and it would be good to do at AS level but taking it to A-Level with all the others would be way too much!

Hope this helps

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lambert87
I teach AQA now but I've done OCR in the past, there isn't a lot of difference between them anymore.

By the time you do A-Level Chemistry the only CA you will have is the 12 practicals you will have to complete. OCR practicals tend to be more mathematical and thermodynamic bases, whereas AQA is more organic chemistry.

Chemistry A-Level is VERY difficult but if you get it then you will find it extremely interesting. Out of biology and chemistry, chemistry is by far too the most intense and time consuming module.

Biology -- there is a considerable amount of plant biology but not as much as there was. The new curriculum now includes the human genome and gene expression in a lot more detail.. This has reduced the amount of plant biology.

I think maths will help you with biology and definitely chemistry and all three go well together. English is another good subject and it would be good to do at AS level but taking it to A-Level with all the others would be way too much!

Hope this helps

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you, this has really helped! Unfortunately, the 6th form I'm going to doesn't offer English at AS level so I'd have to drop maths. I'm going to continue thinking about chemistry because it does sound hard.

In regards to the 12 practicals, do you have to complete the write ups in the same format with the research, hypothesis, method, etc?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you, this has really helped! Unfortunately, the 6th form I'm going to doesn't offer English at AS level so I'd have to drop maths. I'm going to continue thinking about chemistry because it does sound hard.

In regards to the 12 practicals, do you have to complete the write ups in the same format with the research, hypothesis, method, etc?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes you do... some are more long winded than others though!
If you don't mind me asking, why don't you like it at A-Level? Is it hard, boring or? Thanks 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

I just find it really mundane and tedious :h:
Original post by Changing Skies
I absolutely loved A level Biology and English Literature. Both were really enjoyable. Happy to answer any specific questions you may have :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hows english lit like?I am one of the best in my class.I really enjoy it(i prefer analyzing instead of some boring creative writing stuff)

Which exam board did you do?Will switching exam boards be a deterrent?

Also how is biology?is it hard

Thanks..

Quick Reply

Latest