The Student Room Group

Exothermic and Endothermic reactions

During a reaction, energy is requried to break bonds and energy is released during bond formation. Energy released during bonds formation can be immediately be used to break any remaining bonds, however when all bonds have been broken and formed, if there is excess energy, that excess energy is released into the surroundings?

Is the above all correct?
Original post by AKRYL
During a reaction, energy is requried to break bonds and energy is released during bond formation. Energy released during bonds formation can be immediately be used to break any remaining bonds, however when all bonds have been broken and formed, if there is excess energy, that excess energy is released into the surroundings?

Is the above all correct?

pretty much.

If the energy needed to break the bonds is less than the energy released by making new bonds the overall reaction is exothermic and energy is released.
Reply 2
Original post by charco
pretty much.

If the energy needed to break the bonds is less than the energy released by making new bonds the overall reaction is exothermic and energy is released.

Thanks for the response.
Also, why is it that in an endothermic reaction, the products are at a higher energy level/ have more energy than the reactants?
Original post by AKRYL
Thanks for the response.
Also, why is it that in an endothermic reaction, the products are at a higher energy level/ have more energy than the reactants?

bonds formed are weaker than the bonds broken. Overall potential energy of the products has increased (products are less stable)
Reply 4
Original post by charco
bonds formed are weaker than the bonds broken. Overall potential energy of the products has increased (products are less stable)

Ah I see. Why is it important that reactions take place under standard conditions when we measure the enthalpy change of the reaction? I.E why do we have to matain constant pressure and a temperature of e.g. 298K?
Original post by AKRYL
Ah I see. Why is it important that reactions take place under standard conditions when we measure the enthalpy change of the reaction? I.E why do we have to matain constant pressure and a temperature of e.g. 298K?

To standardise and communicate data. The temperature affects thermodynamic changes.

Quick Reply

Latest