The Student Room Group

applied for wrong course

i applied for physics (just physics none of the astronomy,maths theoretical bs) at

bristol
sheffield
UCL
manchester
imperial

i am now halfway through the a2 course (doing aqa physics B) and i have come to realise physics is absolutely dire, difficult and i just cant improve at it. I wish i applied for chemistry instead. (i have already got condtionnal offers from some of the universities. its too late to change my ucas application.

Say i decide on my uni of choice, is there ANY way to change to chemistry? i really dont want to burn 3 years of my life, please help :;(

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 420memeception69
i applied for physics (just physics none of the astronomy,maths theoretical bs) at

bristol
sheffield
UCL
manchester
imperial

i am now halfway through the a2 course (doing aqa physics B) and i have come to realise physics is absolutely dire, difficult and i just cant improve at it. I wish i applied for chemistry instead. (i have already got condtionnal offers from some of the universities. its too late to change my ucas application.

Say i decide on my uni of choice, is there ANY way to change to chemistry? i really dont want to burn 3 years of my life, please help :;(

Start by contacting the places you got offers from to see if they would consider swapping you. If you get no luck with that, you can decline all your offers and start applying through Extra:
https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/apply-and-track/track-your-application/extra-choices

bristol
sheffield
UCL
manchester
imperial

Call UCAS NOW!! You might be able to withdraw your application and start a new one, trust me physics is horrible I can't imagine doing it at uni either lol. But there will be a way around it just do something soon because a new applications deadline is soon
**** all that ill just ride through it thanks anyway, a lot of people hate the degree they do, ill just be another statistic
**** all that ill just ride through it thanks anyway, a lot of people hate the degree they do, ill just be another statistic

Lol well you can always try clearance in the end too, all you'd have to do is call up uni but that's upto you :smile:

WTF! :rofl: definitely dont "**** all that" ..
i mean dont get me wrong, physics is intersesting, there is a reason i applied lol. but now revising for my mocks and onwards feels ****.

in chemistry, you get a question wrong, you revise, then get it right.
in physics, you get a q wrong, you revise, get asked a completely ****ing different question, get it wrong, revise, get it wrong, and show no signs of improvement. so basically, i find in chemistry, work pays off. in physics, doing twice as much work yields **** all.
i mean dont get me wrong, physics is intersesting, there is a reason i applied lol. but now revising for my mocks and onwards feels ****.

in physics, you get a q wrong, you revise, get asked a completely ****ing different question, get it wrong, revise, get it wrong, and show no signs of improvement. so basically, i find in chemistry, work pays off. in physics, doing twice as much work yields **** all.

It's only going to get harder in uni

Physics alevel is rubbish though, it will most likely be better at uni (assuming you like maths)
sounds like you'd be better off doing Natural Science instead of chemistry. That way you can tailor your course and take basically what ever modules you wish. A lot of chemistry is pretty dire. I almost did straight chemistry and thankfully I didn't because there is no way I'd have enjoyed half the stuff they teach. However there are aspects of it that I really enjoy such as materials chemistry.

By doing NatSci you'd be able to take the chemistry modules you think you'll enjoy and even take some physics modules you think are not dire, maybe maths, engineering, CompSci etc it really depends on where you study as to which options you can take in what combination.

It literally takes nothing for admissions to make a switch. Hardly much effort really :/ You are right a lot of people hate their degree, but they are usually the ones that get **** grades, you probably don't want to be one of those stats.

Please don't think like that, uni will be living hell for you if you hate your course. Don't waste your time and money

Chemistry at university is a lot different though. You'll start to find it gets way more complicated and realise a lot of the stuff you do at A-level is actually just over simplified bs and basically an incorrect way to explain hard stuff to kids.
The relevant UCAS advice page : https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/apply-and-track/track-your-application/making-changes

If you are still within 7 days of your 'welcome email' from UCAS you can change your choices. Contact UCAS.

Beyond this, you can ask to be considered for a different course at the same Uni(s) but you cannot swap Unis. Contact each Uni individually. Make sure you get any course change made before 14 January as after that you have less chance of an offer.

Or - you can drop your application for this year and reapply next year with known grades and a clearer idea of what you want to do. Recommended.
Original post by Alisahhh1998
Call UCAS NOW!! You might be able to withdraw your application and start a new one, trust me physics is horrible I can't imagine doing it at uni either lol. But there will be a way around it just do something soon because a new applications deadline is soon

I'm sure the tens of thousands of students up and down the country studying Physics at University would disagree with you on that point...
Original post by mackemforever
I'm sure the tens of thousands of students up and down the country studying Physics at University would disagree with you on that point...

This person specialfially said they don't like physics so it's best not to get into a course which you have no interest in also it's opinion, nothing to agree or disagree
This person specialfially said they don't like physics so it's best not to get into a course which you have no interest in also it's opinion, nothing to agree or disagree

"trust me physics is horrible"

Sounds very much to me like you're telling the OP that Physics at University is a horrible subject to study, despite the fact that you are neither studying Physics to degree level, or even a University student.
Original post by mackemforever
"trust me physics is horrible"

Sounds very much to me like you're telling the OP that Physics at University is a horrible subject to study, despite the fact that you are neither studying Physics to degree level, or even a University student.

don't get annoyed mackem , just let alisah get on with her BTEC Hair and Beauty Level 1
Original post by DylanJ42
don't get annoyed mackem , just let alisah get on with her BTEC Hair and Beauty Level 1

*physics chemistry maths biology a2 :smile:
Lol whaaaaaat happened haha damn nevermind. I'm sure physics will be alright, I just get easily frustrated at stuff I can't get the hang of straight away in general. So i guess thats where physics becomes more of a burden than my other subjects, Something I'll be looking to improve on next year!

physics > chemsitry in terms of interest
Chemistry > physics in terms of ease of improvement and rewardingness?

since allegedly chemsitry gets stupidly hard I guess physics was the right choice, kinda..
*physics chemistry maths biology a2 :smile:

So you're basing physics at university on that pathetic excuse for a physics alevel? Nice job
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending