The Student Room Group

my a level choices for law?

Hello everybody, I know this has been done before but I'm here looking for approval/advice on my a-level choices for a law degree. I am currently in year 11 and have to choose by the end of the month.
I was thinking French, Latin, Maths (with mechanics), RS and Critical Thinking?
I think i will probably end up doing a law job one way or another, but a classics degree is also on my mind - is it worth doing that and then a GDL?
I'd love to study at oxbridge :smile:
thanks in advance
Original post by KeepMyBrainAlive
Hello everybody, I know this has been done before but I'm here looking for approval/advice on my a-level choices for a law degree. I am currently in year 11 and have to choose by the end of the month.
I think i will probably end up doing a law job one way or another, but a classics degree is also on my mind - is it worth doing that and then a GDL?
thanks in advance

Hi I'm y11 too and also considering law.
I've been told that there aren't particularly important subjects to take, but analytical and critical thinking skills are important. Saying that, I have done my critical thinking AS, and would strongly advise you not to bother. Universities pay no attention to it, and it simply consists of a bunch of vocab etc that I can't see being useful outside of the classroom (I'm saying all this and I got an A). The exam is very hard in the sense that understanding the question is tricky, and the mark scheme is very specific, but in a pointless way.
My plan is English lit, RS, geography and either economics or chemistry.
I know history is a popular choice for law too.
Does your school offer IB, because if your bright and can't pick A levels it's a good option, I've considered it
Hope I've help a little !
J
Original post by Jenny1099
Hi I'm y11 too and also considering law.
I've been told that there aren't particularly important subjects to take, but analytical and critical thinking skills are important. Saying that, I have done my critical thinking AS, and would strongly advise you not to bother. Universities pay no attention to it, and it simply consists of a bunch of vocab etc that I can't see being useful outside of the classroom (I'm saying all this and I got an A). The exam is very hard in the sense that understanding the question is tricky, and the mark scheme is very specific, but in a pointless way.
My plan is English lit, RS, geography and either economics or chemistry.
I know history is a popular choice for law too.
Does your school offer IB, because if your bright and can't pick A levels it's a good option, I've considered it
Hope I've help a little !
J

Na my school doesn't do IB. History isn't an option for me either since i haven't done it for GCSE. I was hoping critical thinking could serve as prep for the LNAT or other law admissions tests as they tend to be wierd and picky with words too from what i perceive. But if you're saying it's not worth it :/
Thank you so much and good luck this year!
thanks in advance

Hi OP,

I think they are good choices. I got into Oxford offering two of those A-levels (Latin and Maths), and I've subsequently wished that I'd done a modern language in addition, so I think French is a good choice. I don't subscribe to the "you-absolutely-must-do-an-essay-subject" rule like some people do, but having something which is focused on essay writing is useful, so I imagine RS covers that (I know Latin is about 50:50 in terms of essays, but it doesn't really cater for extended essay writing). You'll know better than I whether it would be possible and appropriate to do classics instead if you are also considering classics. I don't know if Oxbridge take critical thinking into account in terms of formal admissions, but any mechanically analytical subject (which I assume critical thinking must be, and which to an extent maths also is) will be a useful foundation for skills which you'll need on a law degree.

On the law vs classics + GDL route, you are obviously the only one who can reliably make the choice, but I would offer two observations. Classics, at least at Oxford, is a four year course, so once you've done that plus the conversion plus the professional qualification, it will be six years of education minimum before you start training if you want to be a barrister or solicitor. If you did a standard law programme (i.e. without a year abroad), it could be two years shorter. Second, Oxbridge law courses at least have elements of classics in them, in so much as they teach Roman Law (which I think is a compulsory first year module in both unis, and there may be other relevant modules too). I similarly liked classics having studied latin and thought I would miss that when studying law, but I've found that the historical components of law are a great substitute.
Reply 4
thanks in advance

I've done some research and I've found out that you need at least 3 facilitating/traditional subjects (you would need As in all) so subjects like english, history, a science/maths. Also you don't particularly need law a level but check the uni of your choice, they shoud have the entry spec on their website :smile:
Your subjects seem fine for law. To be honest so long as you get good grades, law schools don't really care what subjects you have taken (except for the fact that they look for english)

I was considering a classics degree when I was in my last year of school, but in the end i just decided to do my law degree instead of completing it as a postgrad.

if you think you would enjoy doing your classics degree first, then by all means do what suits you. Obviously the only potential downside is that it will take you longer to graduate with both degrees, but if fees and time spent at uni are of no concern to you then that does not matter.

I am glad I made the decision to study law as an undergrad just because I can graduate quicker, however I do see the benefit of studying a degree beforehand as many people feel that they are not mature/ready to study law straight out of school.

Hope this helps ! :smile:
Thank you all so much :biggrin: you have been very helpful :smile:
Reply 7
I am starting a Law degree at Manchester Uni (a Russell Group university) this September.

With Law it is always good to take traditional academic subjects e.g. History, English (preferably English Lit), Maths and the sciences. Essay based subjects are well regarded. Despite the debate as to whether universities accept it (which most do), Law is not a bad A level choice either as it gives a flavour of the subject and helps you decide whether you would like to study it at degree level.

I personally took English Literature, History and Law at A level as well as the Extended Project in my A2 year.

French and Maths would look good on any application for Law, not sure about RS and Latin, but that is my personal opinion.

When applying to universities for Law do your best to go to Oxbridge or a Russell Group university. Although people who attended non RG universities have done well in Law, the competition is so fierce for training contracts and pupillages that you should look to do everything to get into Oxbridge or an RG uni. It will put you in good stead as long as you have what else law firms/barristers chambers require. Here is a good link on helping you decide on what uni for law

http://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/media/1067/what_is_a_good_university.pdf

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending