The Student Room Group

Sample percentage yield

Hi I need help with answering a question on percentage yield and I can't find the answer anywhere.

In my sample the percentage yield is higher than the calculated weight percentage but I can't explain why this is. I've done two different experiments, one with tin and another with oxalate where the percentage yield of both is higher in my sample than the calculated weight percentage. (By calculated weight percentage, I mean the molar mass of tin/oxalate divided by the molar mass of the product x 100)

Does anyone know why sample percentage yields are higher than calculated weight percentages? I can't figure it out :/

Thanks!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by HelloGoodbye
Hi I need help with answering a question on percentage yield and I can't find the answer anywhere.

In my sample the percentage yield is higher than the calculated weight percentage but I can't explain why this is. I've done two different experiments, one with tin and another with oxalate where the percentage yield of both is higher in my sample than the calculated weight percentage. (By calculated weight percentage, I mean the molar mass of tin/oxalate divided by the molar mass of the product x 100)

Does anyone know why sample percentage yields are higher than calculated weight percentages? I can't figure it out :/

Thanks!

1. Incorrect calculation
2. Impurity
Original post by charco
1. Incorrect calculation
2. Impurity

So is the weight percentage in the sample not supposed to be higher than the calculated weight percentage? My calculations are correct since my results have been marked as correct, I just can't provide an explanation.
bump
Original post by HelloGoodbye
So is the weight percentage in the sample not supposed to be higher than the calculated weight percentage? My calculations are correct since my results have been marked as correct, I just can't provide an explanation.

Like I said, "if the experimental yield is greater than the theoretical yield you have also got impurities in the product"
Original post by charco
Like I said, "if the experimental yield is greater than the theoretical yield you have also got impurities in the product"

you didn't actually say that... you just said impurities. but thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest