The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE 2016 Postgraduate Application/Offer Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
Guys, have just received a conditional offer for MSc MOG (Managment, Organisation and Governance) programme. So happy about this indeed and an additional motivation to get 2.1 in my BA!!!:biggrin: Has anyone received an offer for this course yet?:h: I expected it would take much longer but today it is precisely 1 month from the day of submission)
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by newdehli
Hi all,

I have received an offer already for Global Politics, and I have asked the department to consider me for my second choice which is in the same department. I received a strange email from the "Taught Programmes Manager" who said at the end of the email: I am not involved in the decision making process but it looks likely that we can offer you a place on your second choice programme without having to transfer after registration.

I am so stressed because on what basis can she say this? My personal statement even mention my first choice programme name, 'MSc in Global Politics', but I do talk about the modules I would like to study a lot and my second choice programme is in the same department so the only difference is is that the core module is slightly different. The academic requires are the same so no problem there. Has she seen the amount of people currently applying or what?

I am from India and am so stressed out right now, what do I do, what does this even mean? I'm not sure when I hear back either, I need to know before arrival in London!

It means that you are pretty much guaranteed to get accepted for your second choice programme, and you can enrol on that one instead. LSE is so bloated with MSc programmes, you can take the same set of courses under multiple degree titles, hence them not going to care it's the first choice degree title in your statement.
Hi all,

I just received an unconditional offer for the MSc Accounting and Finance programme. I'll post my stats for future reference.

GMAT: 680 Q 45 V 38 IR 8 AWA 5.5
GPA: 6.17 (7) Australian 3-year bachelor's degree in Accounting (I believe this translates to a 1st).

EDIT: I received my 4th e-mail on December 8.
Reply 223
Original post by You!Me!Dancing!
I live at Lilian Knowles. I'm lucky that I live at the back of the building so I don't deal with the noise issues at the front, apart from the occasional drunken shouting (not sure you can avoid that anywhere). Location-wise it's very convenient and I know plenty of people that are happy here. But I understand the frustrations from the ones that are speaking up about noise issues, it is very unlucky for them.

To be honest, I've not heard great things about Sidney Webb either (apparently there were rats in the kitchen on the higher floors!).

I think there's a general issue with the quality of the postgraduate residences, especially as they're not technically managed by LSE.

Hi Guys!
I've applied to Lilian Knowles. As a Londoner, I'd say Lilian Knowles' location looks a lot better than Sidney Webb's. It's within walking distance of loads of interesting + varied locations (the City, Whitechapel, Brick Lane, Shoreditch/Hackney, Barbican, even London Bridge). I've put Sidney Webb as my second choice but the location doesn't look great. The area around Borough's ok but other than that its on a monotonous A road and too near Elephant and Castle!
I can't really comment on the quality of the accommodation - by noisy do you mean noise from the street or noise from students on other floors etc.?
Tom
Original post by Tom_N5
Hi Guys!
I've applied to Lilian Knowles. As a Londoner, I'd say Lilian Knowles' location looks a lot better than Sidney Webb's. It's within walking distance of loads of interesting + varied locations (the City, Whitechapel, Brick Lane, Shoreditch/Hackney, Barbican, even London Bridge). I've put Sidney Webb as my second choice but the location doesn't look great. The area around Borough's ok but other than that its on a monotonous A road and too near Elephant and Castle!
I can't really comment on the quality of the accommodation - by noisy do you mean noise from the street or noise from students on other floors etc.?
Tom

Hey, Tom.

Please, what is your opinion about Grosvenor? I'm going with my husband and seems that its couple studios are quite nice and it is only 5 minutes from LSE.

Thank you in advance and all the best for your studies,

M.
Reply 225
Original post by mmazioli
Hey, Tom.

Please, what is your opinion about Grosvenor? I'm going with my husband and seems that its couple studios are quite nice and it is only 5 minutes from LSE.

Thank you in advance and all the best for your studies,

M.

Hi M,

Again, I'm not sure about what the accommodation itself is like but it's literally right next to LSE! So Covent Garden, the West End, City, Southbank all within arms reach - I'm sure it'll be great!
Cheers,
Tom
Original post by Tom_N5
Hi Guys!
Tom

Most people are complaining about the street noise on the lower floors. I don't really know about higher floors. You can also get a room facing the courtyard/common room, which will cause a noise problem if people have loud parties (normally pretty uncommon, but it happens). I'm at the back of the building facing the street so I get some drunken street noise every couple of nights but it's never excessive so I'm pretty lucky.

I'm on the lower ground floor (which is cheaper) and I can hear whenever the guy above me walks in his room - everyone on the lower ground has this problem so the floors must be really thin...

But yeah the location is great. I've really enjoyed living here on the whole, but I can't say I would've said the same if I was one of those at the front of the building.

I should probably point out that a student living at the front of the building posted his opinion:

http://beaveronline.co.uk/moral-hazard-at-lilian-knowles/
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi all!

I'm just finishing off my application for MSc Gender (research) and MSc Gender. I have a first class hons in Drama and Theatre Studies with Classical Music, but most of my course was theory based and all my work was on feminism, gender and sexuality.

How long am I looking at waiting for? Has anyone else applied?

Worried I'm taking a huge risk!
Original post by RobsErica
Hi all!

I'm just finishing off my application for MSc Gender (research) and MSc Gender. I have a first class hons in Drama and Theatre Studies with Classical Music, but most of my course was theory based and all my work was on feminism, gender and sexuality.

How long am I looking at waiting for? Has anyone else applied?

Worried I'm taking a huge risk!

Eight weeks. 4 to have your documents processed and more 4 to have a decision.

Best of luck!

M.
Reply 229
Original post by You!Me!Dancing!
Most people are complaining about the street noise on the lower floors. I don't really know about higher floors. You can also get a room facing the courtyard/common room, which will cause a noise problem if people have loud parties (normally pretty uncommon, but it happens). I'm at the back of the building facing the street so I get some drunken street noise every couple of nights but it's never excessive so I'm pretty lucky.

I'm on the lower ground floor (which is cheaper) and I can hear whenever the guy above me walks in his room - everyone on the lower ground has this problem so the floors must be really thin...

But yeah the location is great. I've really enjoyed living here on the whole, but I can't say I would've said the same if I was one of those at the front of the building.

I should probably point out that a student living at the front of the building posted his opinion:

http://beaveronline.co.uk/moral-hazard-at-lilian-knowles/

Ok thanks for the info!

I'd take that article with a pinch of salt - most of the stuff he was 'fooled and tricked' about could have been found out just by looking at google maps.
I suppose it depends on how much you care about noise level. I'm not particularly bothered, but if you struggle to concentrate/sleep with noise then I agree it's something to consider!
Original post by Tom_N5
Hi Guys!
Tom

hi tom! what about butlers wharf?
I really like urbanist king cross! but its pretty expensive :/
also, my course is for12 months, and most of the accommodations' contracts are for 38 weeks :/ it cuts down my options... aahh I'm so confused!
Reply 231
Original post by prospectivegrad
hi tom! what about butlers wharf?
I really like urbanist king cross! but its pretty expensive :/
also, my course is for12 months, and most of the accommodations' contracts are for 38 weeks :/ it cuts down my options... aahh I'm so confused!

Yeah I think that's the problem most postgrads have - the accommodations with 38 week contracts are a mix of undergrad and postgrad students.

Yeah butlers wharf looks good - it's right next to Tower Bridge and therefore the South Bank and City + the old docks to the east (fast becoming 'gentrified'). Looks like a shared bathroom though (if you're bothered about that)

Kings Cross used to be the red light district but its been redeveloped a lot since the 90s, although York Way's not my favourite road in London!
[QUOTE=prospectivegrad;62696983]

Original post by Tom_N5
Yeah I think that's the problem most postgrads have - the accommodations with 38 week contracts are a mix of undergrad and postgrad students.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the 38 week contract is a major issue for PG's, because the summer is solely independent with dissertation writing. By the time the 38 week contract ends, the exams and lectures will have finished.

Personally, I plan on moving back home after the 38 week contract ends and submit my dissertation the following September.

I'm not sure it's necessary to stay in London throughout the summer months during my dissertation writing. I could contact lecturers via e-mail if needed.

Of course, circumstances differ depending on the degree and the individual.
Could somebody shed some light on the quality of the Urbanest rooms? I was looking at Urbanest Westminster Bridge, but then I noticed the building is located right next to a major train station. Would this mean a lot of noise? I was also hoping that somebody could shed some light on the quality of Urbanest rooms in general, such as how the noise isolation is (a major concern, given that some of the en-suite rooms are shared with 6-11 tenants), or how large the rooms are (no virtual tour available online).

Also, I have a few questions about LSE Accommodation in general:

1) In mixed residences, are undergrads and grad students segregated?

2) In terms of convenience (distance to school), I understand that the best halls for grad students are GH, HH, and NH? How do each compare in terms of amenities and quality of the room?

I realize I'm asking a lot, and one single person may not have the answers, but any housing tips would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!
[QUOTE=ShiddyDeltaHej;62714651]Could somebody shed some light on the quality of the Urbanest rooms? I was looking at Urbanest Westminster Bridge, but then I noticed the building is located right next to a major train station. Would this mean a lot of noise? I was also hoping that somebody could shed some light on the quality of Urbanest rooms in general, such as how the noise isolation is (a major concern, given that some of the en-suite rooms are shared with 6-11 tenants), or how large the rooms are (no virtual tour available online).

Also, I have a few questions about LSE Accommodation in general:

1) In mixed residences, are undergrads and grad students segregated?

2) In terms of convenience (distance to school), I understand that the best halls for grad students are GH, HH, and NH? How do each compare in terms of amenities and quality of the room?

I realize I'm asking a lot, and one single person may not have the answers, but any housing tips would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

I have a friend who stayed in urbanest Westminster last academic year, he said its modern & only a 30 minute walk from campus, walking across Westminster bridge every day sounds fun. I can't comment on your other concerns though, I have the same worries with noise etc.

With the likes of GH, the studio apartments are really outdated in my humble opinion, and what you gain in convenience & locality, I feel you lose in comfort and space.
Original post by prospective_grad
I have a friend who stayed in urbanest Westminster last academic year, he said its modern & only a 30 minute walk from campus, walking across Westminster bridge every day sounds fun. I can't comment on your other concerns though, I have the same worries with noise etc.

With the likes of GH, the studio apartments are really outdated in my humble opinion, and what you gain in convenience & locality, I feel you lose in comfort and space.

Ya, GH's only benefit is location I feel. I looked at some of the refurbished rooms in HH and they look pretty nice. The GH studios look like nothing more than a dated en-suite room 5 mins from campus.
Original post by Tom_N5

Yeah butlers wharf looks good - it's right next to Tower Bridge and therefore the South Bank and City + the old docks to the east (fast becoming 'gentrified':wink:. Looks like a shared bathroom though (if you're bothered about that)

Kings Cross used to be the red light district but its been redeveloped a lot since the 90s, although York Way's not my favourite road in London!

ahhh thanks!! that's a huge help =)) Also, any inputs aon urbanest westminster bridge??
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 237
Original post by unagi
Hey! I also applied for this program. I submitted my app in early November too but due to some issues with my references, my application was only submitted to the academic selectors on 12/16/15. So almost going to be 8 weeks in one more week. I hope I get a good result.

Hello! I got an unconditional offer for Political Economy of Late Development.

I applied in early November but due to some issues with my letter of rec, I only received my completed application notice on December 16. My offer letter was for February 5 but I got the notice yesterday, February 12.

:smile: Good luck everyone else! Let me know if you're attending LSE for the same program as I am!
Hello guys. I just received an offer for postgrad Accounting and Finance. Very excited for it actually, since I came from a low tier University ( University of Greenwich ), this could be a great jump for me in term of future prospect.
Reply 239
Original post by prospectivegrad
ahhh thanks!! that's a huge help =)) Also, any inputs aon urbanest westminster bridge??

No problem!

Yes! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veMK0u3bWyo
It's right in the centre of Westminster so it's a sightseers' dream and obviously a great location + close to LSE. I prefer the City and inner city areas myself though

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending