The Student Room Group

what's a psychology degree like compared to a level??

Hi my names Harry and I've applied to do a psychology degree at Reading (psychology and philosophy) UEA, Bath, Bournemouth and York (I also have offers from 3) and I was just wondering if anyone could tell me what it was like in comparison to the A-Level because I'm studying Psychology AQA A A2 right now and it is such a drag but I really loved AS.

I sort of feel like I have made a mistake with my degree choice and I feel like I'd rather do philosophy because I honestly don't want it to be like A2 psychology.
Reply 1
Original post by Harry321
Hi my names Harry and I've applied to do a psychology degree at Reading (psychology and philosophy) UEA, Bath, Bournemouth and York (I also have offers from 3) and I was just wondering if anyone could tell me what it was like in comparison to the A-Level because I'm studying Psychology AQA A A2 right now and it is such a drag but I really loved AS.

I sort of feel like I have made a mistake with my degree choice and I feel like I'd rather do philosophy because I honestly don't want it to be like A2 psychology.

It's quite difficult to compare a university course with its A Level version because it will vary quite a lot, but this might help you in finding out what Psychology is generally like at university: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1200984

TSR also has FAQ and Wiki threads about other subjects too, e.g. this one on Philosophy: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Philosophy_Degree

Is there any particular part that you are worried about in Psychology? Check out the links above (mainly the first one) to see if any of your questions are answered there; if they aren't, feel free to keep asking them. :smile:
I found A level a bit of a drag as well, it was just memorising a mountain of studies (sample size, method etc) and producing really formulaic mini answers where I learnt it. I don't know if this is what you dislike as well? University is more about exploring topics in detail, you will obviously look at literature but you use it to understand a topic and build an argument rather than memorising how many participants someone had. Looking at smaller areas in more depth is much more interesting regardless of whether you like the topic or not! You will construct proper answers and essays rather than just regurgitating facts.
Reply 3
Original post by doodle_333
I found A level a bit of a drag as well, it was just memorising a mountain of studies (sample size, method etc) and producing really formulaic mini answers where I learnt it. I don't know if this is what you dislike as well? University is more about exploring topics in detail, you will obviously look at literature but you use it to understand a topic and build an argument rather than memorising how many participants someone had. Looking at smaller areas in more depth is much more interesting regardless of whether you like the topic or not! You will construct proper answers and essays rather than just regurgitating facts.

Yeah we have tiny studies that we have to use like 3/4 of in an essay and say how they support a very introductive description of a theory and then there is the remembering of what happened in it etc and it's all so cryptic
Original post by Harry321
Yeah we have tiny studies that we have to use like 3/4 of in an essay and say how they support a very introductive description of a theory and then there is the remembering of what happened in it etc and it's all so cryptic

Yeah, university it much more logical! You will use lots of studies to build an argument, but you will use their main findings and so on to form a proper argument and the topics are more in depth.

Quick Reply

Latest