The Student Room Group

How to work out the number of moles of reactants??

Idk if I'm stupid or whatever but I'm really confused. I know I need to do q/number of moles of reactants. And I know how to calculate the moles of each individual reactant but which one do I divide the q by??? Sometimes the question is specific like "the enthalpy change when one mole of ammonium nitrate dissolves) so I know I need to calculate 1 mole of ammonium nitrate (Mass/Mr) but there are other questions that say stuff like "calculate the enthalpy of neutralisation for this reaction" or "calculate the enthalpy of combustion" (assuming it means enthalpy change) and I can work out q but that's it. Am I meant to calculate the moles of the thing being used to burn or...? and no idea for neutralisation. THIS IS STRESSING ME OUT SO MUCH.
is there a question you could post that has this problem in it
Original post by Proxenus
is there a question you could post that has this problem in it

20160104_223055.jpg

question 2. i kinda figured out that moles were 0.05 but there are 2 reactants so like what if they both had different moles :frown:
Original post by bluemadhatter
20160104_223055.jpg

question 2. i kinda figured out that moles were 0.05 but there are 2 reactants so like what if they both had different moles :frown:

You need a balanced equation for the reaction and then you must see which is the limiting reagent. It is this one that gives you the moles of the final products.
Original post by charco
You need a balanced equation for the reaction and then you must see which is the limiting reagent. It is this one that gives you the moles of the final products.

Thank you! This is what someone explained to me that you use the limiting reagent which is the one with the smallest moles :smile: now it makes sense :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest