The Student Room Group

Increasing numbers of students going without food to cope with rising costs at Uni

Scroll to see replies

It's relatively easy to live on under £2.86/day by buying in bulk (must have access to a large freezer) and avoiding Western comforts. Middle Eastern (Persian), South/East Asian (including Thai, Indian, authentic Chinese like Sichuanese and Cantonese), and African cuisine are great at making efficient use of food. Basmati and Jasmine rice average between £1.00 to £2.00 per kilogramme.

Whole chicken approx. £1.35/kg, fish and pork approx. £2.00/kg, and lamb approx. £2.79/kg at wholesalers like JJ Food Services, as well as Smithfields in London (both open to the public). I remember Sainsburys and Iceland selling chicken legs for about £1.60/kg. Lidl and depending where you live, farmers markets are excellent value for fruits and vegetables.

If you're diligent, food ingredients cost about half of what it does at the supermarket.

Focus on meals like shawarma (Persian) or curry (Thai or Indian) or stir fry (Chinese). Stews are a good place to start. Dumplings and such are amazing as a snack food. Served with rice and plenty of cheap vegetables, it shouldn't take more than £1.50 for any particular meal. And learn to love tea, the traditional kinds that don't require sugar or milk.

Example meal that's simple and delicious

Grilled fish, served with a bed of steamed rice, and leafy greens and a slice of lemon. It'll cost about £1.50 if you're careful with sourcing.

It'll a pretty big lifestyle change, but if you compare it to skrimping by on ramen noodles and beans on toast the benefits are absolutely massive.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 201
The pp makes a valid point about food buying and cooking. I would take it a step back and suggest that parents should not be failing in their role to prepare students for independent living to such a huge scale. It's tragic.

If you have not been taught then learn to cook. With that basic skill you can source raw ingredients for a huge variety of meals and raw ingredients, as opposed to ready meals, are very cheap. No UK citizen need go hungry.
Reply 202
Original post by Katty3
I'm vegetarian for ethical, environmental and health reasons.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not saying you're not sincere but show me an ex-vegetarian and I'll show you an ex-student.
Reply 203
Original post by ForgottenApple
Dude my loan doesn't even cover my accomodation, I will be in deficit by >£100 by the end of the year and that was without food/travel costs.

I'll be starting Uni in Sept and after accommodation I'll be left with £200 of my loan. So I'll be in the same boat as you! It'll be nearly impossible to be able to keep myself clothed and fed without working part time, shopping smart and the odd food parcel off my mum, ha-ha!
Original post by KrisTH
I'll be starting Uni in Sept and after accommodation I'll be left with £200 of my loan. So I'll be in the same boat as you! It'll be nearly impossible to be able to keep myself clothed and fed without working part time, shopping smart and the odd food parcel off my mum, ha-ha!

I'm in a decent position where I get £9/h + tips at my job. But without that I'd be ****ed. Regardless why do I need a job to simply afford what others are given? Not fair.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending