The Student Room Group

Essay writing help?

Hi there I am currently in my first year at university studying Psychology.

We have already done a few assignments like essays and reports but I am currently struggling with an essay.

I just feel that the topic is already so highly researched that I literally cannot write anything about it without copying what everyone else has already contributed/said if that makes sense? I know that it can be seen as a good thing as there are more resources to use and then more references, but my whole essay would literally just be citations of what other people have done.

This wasn't so much a problem with previous essays because I feel the lack of information forced me to contribute my own input.

Does anyone have any tips of getting around this, or if I am just being stupid haha?
Reply 1
Original post by Juuuuh
Hi there I am currently in my first year at university studying Psychology.

We have already done a few assignments like essays and reports but I am currently struggling with an essay.

I just feel that the topic is already so highly researched that I literally cannot write anything about it without copying what everyone else has already contributed/said if that makes sense? I know that it can be seen as a good thing as there are more resources to use and then more references, but my whole essay would literally just be citations of what other people have done.

This wasn't so much a problem with previous essays because I feel the lack of information forced me to contribute my own input.

Does anyone have any tips of getting around this, or if I am just being stupid haha?

But do you agree with what is written? You don't always have to agree with research, show that there are potential flaws, whether it is multifactorial, what could've been taken into account. No source is flaw free, you are the critic :smile:
Reply 2
I doubt all the research is conclusive and fully in agreement. In fact it can't be possible. Since you cannot possibly agree with everything that is written, plenty of room to maneuvre.
So figure out what your position on it is, use the extensive research to back you up, and dismiss the others with criticism.
Reply 3
As above, use existing publications to demonstrate where they may disagree with each other. Analyse what's being said and put forward your own reasoned arument as to why you might agree with one of the views. Or why you might not agree with any of them.

It's OK to spend an essay discussing varous existing viewpoints and then concluding that you agree with one (or elements of several). Undergrads aren't routinely expected to make original contributions in their coursework. You're showing that you can read widely and critically, absorb that information, analyse it and present a cogent argument.

Quick Reply

Latest