The Student Room Group

Stuck on a Mechanics 2 question!

IMG_1652.jpg

Stuck on question 2)

I've done question 1) and I know how to do question 3) once I get the answer to question 2). Any help is appreciated thanks.

I understand that I have to get the central acceleration (v^2/r) which I have gotten and it is 63.733 by using energy at initial compared with energy at 90 degrees.

I also know I need the additional tangent acceleration(dv/dt) but I don't know how to get this with this information.
Reply 1
Original post by 2014_GCSE
IMG_1652.jpg

Stuck on question 2)

I've done question 1) and I know how to do question 3) once I get the answer to question 2). Any help is appreciated thanks.

I understand that I have to get the central acceleration (v^2/r) which I have gotten and it is 63.733 by using energy at initial compared with energy at 90 degrees.

I also know I need the additional tangent acceleration(dv/dt) but I don't know how to get this with this information.

The centripetal acceleration is the resultant acceleration...
Reply 2
Original post by Zacken

Oh, haha, thanks. I feel dumb now.
Original post by Zacken

No, the OP is correct that there is also tangential acceleration. This can be calculated from the only vertical force, the weight of the particle. So the tangential (vertical) component of the acceleration is 9.8 (mg / m).

Now use Pythagoras to combine the two components of the acceleration and then trig for Q3 to find the direction.

Original post by 2014_GCSE
IMG_1652.jpg

Stuck on question 2)

Reply 4
Original post by tiny hobbit
No, the OP is correct that there is also tangential acceleration. This can be calculated from the only vertical force, the weight of the particle. So the tangential (vertical) component of the acceleration is 9.8 (mg / m).

Now use Pythagoras to combine the two components of the acceleration and then trig for Q3 to find the direction.

Ah yes, my mistake.

Quick Reply

Latest