The Student Room Group

General Studies

At A2, my school offers students to take General Studies as an enhancement course in addition to their current subjects. I am currently doing an EPQ Enhancement which will be finished by February (theoretically) and am wondering whether it is worth taking General Studies later this year? I know it is often not accepted as an A Level Qualification by Universities, although this is not the case for all. In addition it will also give me extra UCAS points and an additional qualification for things such as employment. Hence I am wondering whether anyone had any advice on whether from their experience or perspective it was worth taking as a subject? I am currently leaning towards taking it however this will be dependent on whether I am up-to-date with my other subjects and additionally whether it will take up much time. Hence is it a demanding subject or requires a lot of revision etc? Thanks,
Reply 1
I took general studies because it was compulsory in my college. Felt like it was a complete waste of time. It's not recognized by most uni's and I don't think it will matter much as an additional qualification.
I didn't do any prep at all and basically just sat for the exam empty handed and came out with an a.
Not a demanding subject at all and as long as your English is good, you won't have a problem.
Reply 2
Does the course include useful knowledge of subjects that you may not have studied outside your three other A Levels?
Reply 3
For General studies, you basically write essays. 2 for me since I took the CIE board.
The topics for the essays vary in short it test about general knowledge. (no useful knowledge about other subjects)
You can go look up past papers to get a feel of the topics and then decide from there.:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest