The Student Room Group

USC Vs. UCL

As an international student, I've been more inclined towards experiencing US culture away from the 'ghetto mentality' of fellow minority students in the UK. However, being unable to get into any of the 'top' US universities, I've begun to reconsider England.

Now I'm left with the dilemma of picking between USC (University of Southern California) and UCL (University College London.) I hope to major in Economics at USC (although it's likely i might change my mind after experiencing other subjects) whereas at UCL I've already selected an undergraduate degree in Economics and Philosophy.

Any help or pointers please? :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Ooh thats a toughie, I think if it was me I would just about pick UCL over USC. Although it depends on what you're looking for from the experience if anything at all
USC is often referred to in California as "University of Spoiled Children" because it has a lot of rich kids who aren't very academic. It's very expensive and it's not in a nice neighborhood of LA, plus it doesn't have a great academic reputation. I would put UCL in a league ahead of USC, if not two leagues ahead of it!
Reply 3
Wasn't there a double shooting there the other day? I saw something on the news about it last night but wasn't paying too much attention.
arkbar
Wasn't there a double shooting there the other day? I saw something on the news about it last night but wasn't paying too much attention.

Erm are you referring to the virginia university shooting. Then I think think its a different university. You only heard about the shooting yday? everyone knows about it...

ANyways, check USC on world university table, even though it is a true indiction of how good a university is, it still gives a general idea of the uni, I think UCL is 22nd or 23rd.
Kelv
Erm are you referring to the virginia university shooting. Then I think think its a different university. You only heard about the shooting yday? everyone knows about it...

ANyways, check USC on world university table, even though it is a true indiction of how good a university is, it still gives a general idea of the uni, I think UCL is 22nd or 23rd.

Umm...no. I'm sure there was a double shooting somewhere near USC yesterday. There was also probably one today and will likely be one tomorrow.

USC is in the middle of a ghetto.
Reply 6
Yea, so are many good schools though. New Haven isn't that nice tbh...
ravi21
I hope to major in Economics at USC (although it's likely i might change my mind after experiencing other subjects) whereas at UCL I've already selected an undergraduate degree in Economics and Philosophy.

If your not completely sure that Economics is what you want to study then go for the more flexible option. As far as repuations go I can't really comment because I am British and don't know USC (I doubt the average American has heard of anything more than Oxford as far as universities in England go so don't take this to be a bad thing!). London isn't exactly the best student city either - its expensive (to travel, live in etc) and everyone is really spread out all over the place.
Reply 8
I have a friend who was just doing Economics and Philosophy at UCL. He absolutely loved it. Being in London is a great experience and you get to meet tons of different people. The social and cultural life is also excellent, especially with the multi-cultural population of the city. Not only will you be in one of the best Universities in the World, you'll also be taught by some of your subject's leading academics. I personally love the combination of Economics and Philosophy - if I had the chance, I would definitely do this course but unfortunately I don't have A-Level Mathematics.

I can only talk about UCL as I don't know anything about the other. All I can say is that if you do pick London, you won't regret it.
I say UCL. USC is a great university, buts it mainly because of all the $$$ it recieves off of rich kids who couldn't really get into anywhere else (of course, that's a HUGE generalization, but this is the case in my school: if you haven't got the SAT scores, and you're a slacker, HK kids use connections to get in there. mainly just to party as well). Yeah, its got great professors and stuff and its ranked around the 30s in US, but, I mean, in terms of prestige or reputation, I think its nowhere near as good as UCL.

Philosophy and Econ is a very interesting course, so I think you should take that.
Reply 10
Hi, I'm an American... UCL is way better than USC.
Reply 11
Kelv

it was Virginia Tech, not University of Virginia.

&& at the OP: go to UCL. Especially since USC isn't really renowned for economics. If you wanted to study something like communications, then its more of a consideration.
Reply 12
Go to UCL, because:

1) London is amazing
2) UCL economics is amazing

'nuff said :smile:
UCL is by far the better choice- better university, better city, better department...
Reply 14
shady lane
Umm...no. I'm sure there was a double shooting somewhere near USC yesterday. There was also probably one today and will likely be one tomorrow.

USC is in the middle of a ghetto.

It is not a ghetto they are not forced to live there.
Yes it is in the middle of a rough area of LA. The USC students don't have to live there, but off-campus housing in the nice parts of LA is very expensive and you'd need a car to get to university. Also, you still might be leaving the library late at night and have to deal with the dangerous surroundings on a regular basis, even if you don't live in university housing.
london123
Hi, I'm an American... UCL is way better than USC.

You're an American at UCL? Welcome!
Reply 17
UCL most definitely. UCL = Lower ivy + NU, Gtown, UChicago, nowhere near USC
UCL most definitely. UCL = Lower ivy + NU, Gtown, UChicago

This might be a bit too optimistic. I might be on a par with Emory or Vander or something along these lines. I don't really think that most ppl would put UChicago and UCL in the same tier.
well its considered a somewhat top30ish Uni in the world is it not? and i doubt the prestige of going to Emory is the same in USA as the prestige of going to UCL is in UK :smile:

Latest