The Student Room Group

Am I too late ?

Hello. I am 23 years old, I am German and I live in the UK, I am married and I am self-employed as an IT-Security consultant.

Lately I was thinking about starting to study. I've never had a good " relationship " with school in general, but after being out of school for quite a while now, I feel much more relaxed about the whole learning and doing a higher degree stuff. However, let's tell you what I have in mind !

I already have a German degree, which should be equivalent to British GCSEs ( at least from the context ) like maths,german,english and stuff. My plan is to start my GCSE in Biology & Chemistry, and after succeeding to continue with Biology & Chemistry A-Levels, and then maybe studying something Chemistry related or Chemistry itself.

My other thought was to do Physics and Chemistry and then study something Physics related or Physics itself.

I've seen that some universities would like you to have a third A-level in maths, at least when you do Physics, but this would be a thing I would do separately at the end, since I was never good in maths, or never had the motivation to learn it.

What do you guys say about it? Am I too old to get started from 0 again? I mean, it's not like I want to get the degrees to earn more money, I earn a hell of a lot money in my IT-Job, I want to do it out of interest and because I like the thought being finally in a University or even getting a Doctor title.

Of course I am aware that the whole thing would not be some sort of " funny-easy hobby " it's a lot of hard work. I would do the GCSEs and A-levels via distance learning. The university of course I would not do via distance learning ))

Please don't get offended about me being not 100% informed about the whole university/A-level structure, but I am from an other country and came here to inform myself.
Reply 1
it's not too late. if you really want to do it then go for it.. btw, i don't really think you'd need to do the gcses via distance learning though..just buy some textbooks and it will do the whole job.. i am saying so because that's what i am currently doing and i have my exam this january
Reply 2
Original post by danr2
it's not too late. if you really want to do it then go for it.. btw, i don't really think you'd need to do the gcses via distance learning though..just buy some textbooks and it will do the whole job.. i am saying so because that's what i am currently doing and i have my exam this january

Well, GCSEs via distance learning are nothing different than textbooks, just supported by tutors and some assignments you can send of. The positive side effect is that you get a valid school degree on top :-)

However, I don't disagree with you. My father did it like this, a long time ago. He bought most of the stuff by himself and learning at home, then doing his German Abitur, and to learn for the German Abitur back then, was extremely hard, at least using textbooks bought somewhere.

Thank you for your answer! I am happy that you said I am not too old, this cheered me up.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending