The Student Room Group

Naughty Korea goes nuclear again

And this time, it's (allegedly) an H-bomb.
BBC News

What fun.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Drewski
BBC News

What fun.

Is there any way to confirm if it was an H-Bomb or not? It seems very unlikely, although this is the country that mastered Cold Fusion....
Reply 2
Original post by Aj12
Is there any way to confirm if it was an H-Bomb or not? It seems very unlikely, although this is the country that mastered Cold Fusion....

In theory, yes.

Normally, we or the Americans would be able to fly nearby and conduct atmospheric tests and by analysing the gases would be able to tell.
With them conducting tests in an underground bunker it's unlikely that any gas release would get to a register-able level.
Original post by Drewski
BBC News

What fun.

No prob mate, just call Team America World Police.

Aw hell Naw!
Original post by Aj12

As said above, there is analysis of the fallout, which also as was stated won't be too helpful underground. There is also the earthquake it causes in that realistically there is an upper limit to fission yield (the largest pure fission the US did was only 450kt) so if the magnitude is great enough you can be fairly confident it was a fussion weapon. Doesn't work so reliably the other way around though.
Aj12 and Drewski are too different users?

Well I never.
Reply 7
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Aj12 and Drewski are too different users?

Well I never.

You thought we were the same person?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Good for them. Knocking one to the American imperialists!
Original post by Aj12

Supposedly the seismic activity recorded isn't consistent with what would be expected given the yield of a hydrogen bomb, but as mentioned above it's not possible to fully confirm given the test occurred underground.
Original post by Aj12

Posted from TSR Mobile

I used to think you two were the same poster. I just never remembered your usernames beyond a fuzz of memory and your posts are very similar to each other on almost everything.
Reply 11
Original post by Aj12

Who's Smeagol and who's Gollum?
Original post by Aj12

International experts seem sceptical at the moment.

A-bomb tests above ground are bad enough, these morons should really be stopped. High time the Chinese government put an end to the regime there.
It is worth noting though that unless it is consistent with low yeilds even by fission standards it doesn't rule it out given that some fusion weapons are only in the tens of kt
Reply 14
Original post by Fullofsurprises

A-bomb tests above ground are bad enough, these morons should really be stopped. High time the Chinese government put an end to the regime there.

But they won't, it'll cost them too much and they'd rather build aircraft carriers.

I don't know much about this, are there dangers associated with carrying out there sort of these tests?

You seem to be suggesting that underground testing is worse, there is a reason that surface, water and space testing was banned in favour of underground testing way back in the 60s whilst underground wasn't banned for another 33 years.
Original post by Yidi Amin
I don't know much about this, are there dangers associated with carrying out there sort of these tests?

Above-ground nuclear tests spread radioactive material globally in the stratosphere and poison extensive areas of ground near the test sites. They also add heat to the atmosphere at a time when we are all concerned about global warming from manmade sources.
Above-ground nuclear tests spread radioactive material globally in the stratosphere and poison extensive areas of ground near the test sites. They also add heat to the atmosphere at a time when we are all concerned about global warming from manmade sources.

I accept the severity of the situation, thank you for answering.
Original post by Jammy Duel
You seem to be suggesting that underground testing is worse, there is a reason that surface, water and space testing was banned in favour of underground testing way back in the 60s whilst underground wasn't banned for another 33 years.

Sorry if my sentence was confusing, I didn't mean that above-ground tests are better than underground tests, I was referring to the fact that even if they don't have an H-bomb, A-bombs are still a very bad thing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending