The Student Room Group

Error in my personal statement?!

Scroll to see replies

You should be really worried. Not because you made a mistake but I picked up on this "I used the same personal statement as last year, but made changes." you absolutely SHOULD NOT have done this. I applied to university before for a different subject that I've applied for this year and my tutor pulled me over to make sure I knew I absolutely could not use my personal statement from 2 years ago, not even part of it because UCAS stores every submitted personal statement on file and every single one submitted is checked for plagiarism, if it flags your statement as having identical sections to another previous one you'll be rejected before it's even sent off, regardless of the fact the original one was your own work. I'd get into contact with UCAS ASAP cause it's not a simple mistake to fix....
Original post by savingwonderland
You should be really worried. Not because you made a mistake but I picked up on this "I used the same personal statement as last year, but made changes." you absolutely SHOULD NOT have done this. I applied to university before for a different subject that I've applied for this year and my tutor pulled me over to make sure I knew I absolutely could not use my personal statement from 2 years ago, not even part of it because UCAS stores every submitted personal statement on file and every single one submitted is checked for plagiarism, if it flags your statement as having identical sections to another previous one you'll be rejected before it's even sent off, regardless of the fact the original one was your own work. I'd get into contact with UCAS ASAP cause it's not a simple mistake to fix....

What?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2462768

This thread would suggest the opposite

You can re-use your own previous personal statement, as long as you haven't done anything like put them on the internet for other people to help themselves to. UCAS don't flag you for plagiarism for it.
Original post by Potally_Tissed
You can re-use your own previous personal statement, as long as you haven't done anything like put them on the internet for other people to help themselves to. UCAS don't flag you for plagiarism for it.

They do, my tutor and careers department warned me about it. Because it doesn't categorise by name it categorises by track or personal ID and that changes every time you apply so you show as a different student.
They're not gong to exclude an otherwise excellent candidate due to a typo.

I missed some puncutation which meant my ending made no sense in parts. I got an offer to a course that is competitive with 15-20 applicants for every place.

It is not the end.
They do, my tutor and careers department warned me about it. Because it doesn't categorise by name it categorises by track or personal ID and that changes every time you apply so you show as a different student.

They're both wrong.

https://www.facebook.com/ucasonline/posts/874659295900518

https://twitter.com/ucas_online/status/380722056842588160

UCAS made me use a different Personal ID while applying. But as soon as I sent it off, UCAS made me sign into track with the same Personal ID as last year.

Also my friend applied with the same personal statement, but nothing happened to her since they known she cant have plagiarised from herself.
Lol. You dont have too worry too much. Trust me in my personal statement i wrote the name of a course i really wanted to study "Korean Studies" and how much i loved korea. But i still got into all my choices even if they had nothing to do with that subject. "International Business Management"

Trust me they wont judge you really harshly for one grammatical error. I must have had 5 or 10 but i still got in to all.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by sunshine97

But if you spotted a mistake like this, would you ignore it if the rest of the application was good e.g. PS and grades?

What other factors would be put at a higher priority in an application than this small mistake?

I've just said it wouldn't be a factor. In education, the interview is the most important thing. If you don't come across as having what it takes and don't seem as if you can acquire it, that's the deal breaker. Plenty of people make horrific mistakes on their ps. Yours is a teeny, tiny thing. Stop agonising over it. It's nothing.

Don't scaremonger. Ucas plagiarism software is able to identify that it comes from the same applicant and it is fine to reuse your old ps. Thousands do it every year. Whether they could have done a better job by updating it is another matter.
UCAS made me use a different Personal ID while applying. But as soon as I sent it off, UCAS made me sign into track with the same Personal ID as last year.

Also my friend applied with the same personal statement, but nothing happened to her since they known she cant have plagiarised from herself.

It's absolutely fine.
Original post by Potally_Tissed
Even if it was a major issue, which it really really isn't, you can't do anything about it anyway.

I know I can't do anything about it. But I'm just trying to get everyone's honest opinion on my error, so I can mentally prepare myself for the worst, without getting TOO disappointed if I get rejected, as I would have been able to see it coming.
Reply 32
I know I can't do anything about it. But I'm just trying to get everyone's honest opinion on my error, so I can mentally prepare myself for the worst, without getting TOO disappointed if I get rejected, as I would have been able to see it coming.

Everyone's honest opinion (including some actual experts in admissions) is it will make no difference to your application.

You can move on. It's fine :smile:
Original post by YGEntertainment
Lol. You dont have too worry too much. Trust me in my personal statement i wrote the name of a course i really wanted to study "Korean Studies" and how much i loved korea. But i still got into all my choices even if they had nothing to do with that subject. "International Business Management"

Trust me they wont judge you really harshly for one grammatical error. I must have had 5 or 10 but i still got in to all.

But I remember that your PS was focused on how much you're interested in the Korean culture and the skills you have for why you'd be suited to study International Business Management. Hence why you got into Korean Studies, International business management and International business management & Korean Language. So you basically killed two birds with one stone.

What type of grammatical errors did you have? Give examples if you can :s-smilie:
(edited 8 years ago)

You could be rejected for entirely unrelated reasons anyway. It's like you're fishing for people to tell you it's a disaster and you'll get no offers because of it. I didn't even spot the error until I reread the sentence looking for one.
But I remember that your PS was focused on how much you're interested in the Korean culture and the skills you have for why you'd be suited to study International Business Management. Hence why you got into Korean Studies, International business management and International business management & Korean Language. So you basically killed two birds with one stone.

What type of grammatical errors did you have? Give examples if you can :s-smilie:

No that wasn't me! Mine was a medicine application.
Lol the grammatical errors that i made were spelling mistakes. Reallllly Long sentences and just listing without a concluding and. You know how bad my english language skills are. I dont even know how the **** my PS got accepted. Trust me they dont give two ****s about that sentence. Realistically the only reason they could deny your acceptance is for some other reason like not enough experience. Unis dont give that much of a **** about grammer if you are able to get the idea across. Does it make sense for a uni to get rid of an high graded and experienced student because of one grammatical error? No. I understand that you are thinking theres competition it can just give leeway to another student without grammatical errors. But competition isnt that fierce that one grammatical mistake doesnt get you a place.
Original post by Neostigmine
No that wasn't me! Mine was a medicine application.

I was meant to have said that to another user. But thanks, what you said also reassured me. I'm hoping the course I applied to see it the same way the courses you applied to saw yours.
Original post by YGEntertainment
Lol the grammatical errors that i made were spelling mistakes. Reallllly Long sentences and just listing without a concluding and. You know how bad my english language skills are. I dont even know how the **** my PS got accepted. Trust me they dont give two ****s about that sentence. Realistically the only reason they could deny your acceptance is for some other reason like not enough experience. Unis dont give that much of a **** about grammer if you are able to get the idea across. Does it make sense for a uni to get rid of an high graded and experienced student because of one grammatical error? No. I understand that you are thinking theres competition it can just give leeway to another student without grammatical errors. But competition isnt that fierce that one grammatical mistake doesnt get you a place.

Hopefully your right. Just hoping they ignore this error and focus on my other qualities instead.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending