The Student Room Group

Should I apply to a Russell group uni for chemical engineering?

My top three universities, are Surrey, Manchester and Queens Belfast

Having visited all three, I really like Surrey however after graduation I hope to work in different countries and worry that a degree from Surrey may not be as widely accepted internationally when compared to the other two which are a part of the Russel group.

Surrey ranks the highest though in terms of the UK student satisfaction, average graduate pay but I need help in choosing.

What do you think is the best option having described my future plans?
Reply 1
Original post by Itsallaconundrum

Having visited all three, I really like Surrey however after graduation I hope to work in different countries and worry that a degree from Surrey may not be as widely accepted internationally when compared to the other two which are a part of the Russel group.

Surrey ranks the highest though in terms of the UK student satisfaction, average graduate pay but I need help in choosing.

Russell Group means nothing to engineering employers. Especially internationally.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Surrey still carries a name, its higher than a lot of russell group unis
Original post by Itsallaconundrum

Manchester; you will have higher calibre classmates, access to some of the best chemical engineering labs in the country, benefit from the universitys incredible links to the oil and gas industry (if you want to take that route) and study at the "birthplace" of chemical engineering.

If it were any other course it would be debatable. Like others said Russel Group doesn't mean much but neither do league tables, Manchester is on the level of KCL/Edingburgh when it comes to international reputation. The university is also a powerhouse for chemical engineering research coming 2nd or 3rd i I believe, to Cambridge/imperial.

If you recieve an offer to study chemical engineering at Manchester the only universities I would suggest choosing over Manchester are Imperial, Cambridge, Bath (preference) and UCL(while not better as a department the overall prestige of the uni outweighs the weaker ChemEng department).

Quick Reply

Latest