The Student Room Group

advice please... /reality check?

I'm in year 12 again, resitting this year. And i just need some advice, so decided to post this thread, since you guys are really good with helping...

i know this might seem kinda long but could you bear with me please, idk how else to get this down... sorry

i'm currently doing maths and two non science a levels (psychology/english lit)- i changed all my subjects from last year which were all 3 sciences.tbh my results were really crap because i didn't revise/anything- i know it sounds like an excuse but its true- i procrastinated right till the very end- it kinda hit me days before my exams how stupid i'd been, decided to cram a years worth of stuff, and it didn't really work out for me.

i regret wasting the past year and not revising and not taking it as seriously as i should've ( i did work in school and stuff but i can admit i had a habit of ditching anything that was remotely school related when i got home ) but its in the past now.I decided to change my a levels completely, so i could get like a fresh start since my grades were pretty bad (and i'm positive that i wouldn't have been allowed to carry on the subjects, because my school is a pain in the backside when it comes to resitting the same subjects- they wouldn't have given me a chance tbh)

It's half way-ish through the year and i've found i'm kinda liking maths- i never really focused on this and suprised how clear it is to me. I've been looking up possible courses to apply for in uni and careers to go into since i'll have to decide later on in the year.

I still like the sciences, and always found it alright understanding wise and everything and since i know people applying for uni- engineering has held my interest quite a bit. so i have looked into courses to apply for to get into engineering (i don't have specifics yet of which type or anything i'd like to go for) and found foundation year courses that i can apply for with maths to proceed onto first year of (my choice) engineering course.

the question i've been dying to have answered is: do you think if i was to apply for foundation year engineering course, would there be any chance of getting accepted or considered with very good grades despite my first horrific attempt at a levels (which were 3 science a levels).

i know i was capable of getting good grades, my results were a shock to my teachers]- i expected it to turn out like gcse ngl (which was extremely stupid of me).can someone please help me out on this? i've been thinking this for a while, idk is there any chance to do what i want to do?
(edited 8 years ago)
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses. :redface:

I'm going to quote in Tank Girl now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :h: :yy:

Spoiler

Original post by richtealeggings
I'm in year 12 again, resitting this year. And i just need some advice, so decided to post this thread, since you guys are really good with helping...

i know this might seem kinda long but could you bear with me please, idk how else to get this down... sorry

i'm currently doing maths and two non science a levels (psychology/english lit)- i changed all my subjects from last year which were all 3 sciences.tbh my results were really crap because i didn't revise/anything- i know it sounds like an excuse but its true- i procrastinated right till the very end- it kinda hit me days before my exams how stupid i'd been, decided to cram a years worth of stuff, and it didn't really work out for me.

i regret wasting the past year and not revising and not taking it as seriously as i should've ( i did work in school and stuff but i can admit i had a habit of ditching anything that was remotely school related when i got home ) but its in the past now.I decided to change my a levels completely, so i could get like a fresh start since my grades were pretty bad (and i'm positive that i wouldn't have been allowed to carry on the subjects, because my school is a pain in the backside when it comes to resitting the same subjects- they wouldn't have given me a chance tbh)

It's half way-ish through the year and i've found i'm kinda liking maths- i never really focused on this and suprised how clear it is to me. I've been looking up possible courses to apply for in uni and careers to go into since i'll have to decide later on in the year.

I still like the sciences, and always found it alright understanding wise and everything and since i know people applying for uni- engineering has held my interest quite a bit. so i have looked into courses to apply for to get into engineering (i don't have specifics yet of which type or anything i'd like to go for) and found foundation year courses that i can apply for with maths to proceed onto first year of (my choice) engineering course.

the question i've been dying to have answered is: do you think if i was to apply for foundation year engineering course, would there be any chance of getting accepted or considered with very good grades despite my first horrific attempt at a levels (which were 3 science a levels).

i know i was capable of getting good grades, my results were a shock to my teachers]- i expected it to turn out like gcse ngl (which was extremely stupid of me).can someone please help me out on this? i've been thinking this for a while, idk is there any chance to do what i want to do?

Hi, I know someone that was going to re-sit year 12, but she applied to do a foundation year for marine biology and was accepted and that is now what she is doing. So there is a chance you can do a foundation year in engineering. Hope this helps! :redface:
Reply 3
LOOL this post is literally word for word what happened to me 2 years ago. First attempt of AS with Economics, Business Studies, Biology and Physics yielded me extremely poor grades (i.e EBEU), however, second time round i achieved ABB in Economics Business and Psychology. I am now sitting on 4 uni offers from Nottingham, Southampton, Sheffield and Queen mary London.
I was also pretty worried if any unis would take me considering my retake, but to my surprise all four of my unis offered me a place. So basically, go for it. The foundation year is for those who dont have the specified subjects, since you have maths youll be ahead of most students doing the foundation year.
Original post by adott25
LOOL this post is literally word for word what happened to me 2 years ago. First attempt of AS with Economics, Business Studies, Biology and Physics yielded me extremely poor grades (i.e EBEU), however, second time round i achieved ABB in Economics Business and Psychology. I am now sitting on 4 uni offers from Nottingham, Southampton, Sheffield and Queen mary London.
I was also pretty worried if any unis would take me considering my retake, but to my surprise all four of my unis offered me a place. So basically, go for it. The foundation year is for those who dont have the specified subjects, since you have maths youll be ahead of most students doing the foundation year.

The similarity has thrown me off haha, i got similiar grades too, managed to ace one and the other three i just bombed. You don't know how happy this has made me, i've got a lot of hope, :excited:thanks for helping, i've been asking around too and i've found that as long as my grades are upto par i've got a chance so now i've got to literally work for it
(downside: another year in sixth form :unimpressed::afraid:, upside: better future :^_^:, i think this'll give me enough to strive for)

The uni's i've been looking at for foundation year usually require one science or maths which is good for me i guess.

i forgot to congratulate you on the offers btw, :colondollar: do you mind if i ask what have you applied for?

p.s do you have any ideas on what i work experiences/voluntary work i should do, i really need to find some.. if you got any tips/ideas i'd appreciate it, :biggrin:

thanks again i really appreciate your comment mate
Original post by Em_Scott10
Hi, I know someone that was going to re-sit year 12, but she applied to do a foundation year for marine biology and was accepted and that is now what she is doing. So there is a chance you can do a foundation year in engineering. Hope this helps! :redface:

Thanks for the comment,IT HELPS, i just wanted to know if i had a chance and you've kinda shown me that :biggrin:
The similarity has thrown me off haha, i got similiar grades too, managed to ace one and the other three i just bombed. You don't know how happy this has made me, i've got a lot of hope, :excited:thanks for helping, i've been asking around too and i've found that as long as my grades are upto par i've got a chance so now i've got to literally work for it
(downside: another year in sixth form :unimpressed::afraid:, upside: better future :^_^:, i think this'll give me enough to strive for)

The uni's i've been looking at for foundation year usually require one science or maths which is good for me i guess.

i forgot to congratulate you on the offers btw, :colondollar: do you mind if i ask what have you applied for?

p.s do you have any ideas on what i work experiences/voluntary work i should do, i really need to find some.. if you got any tips/ideas i'd appreciate it, :biggrin:

thanks again i really appreciate your comment mate

Has anyone got good advice for yr12 because im currently doing my AS mocks and literally every past paper i've done, i've kept on getting C's except for maths, is there still time to resurrect my AS without having to re-sit year 12?
Original post by riyadhussain123
Has anyone got good advice for yr12 because im currently doing my AS mocks and literally every past paper i've done, i've kept on getting C's except for maths, is there still time to resurrect my AS without having to re-sit year 12?

BRO DO YOU HEAR YOURSELF? :eek: of course there's time you've got atleast 4 months, just don't waste you're time and keep practising, you keep getting C's cos you've still got to overcome that final learning curve.

There's a lot of maths resources online- a really good one is physicsandmathstutor just click on the maths module you need and its even divided up into whichever examboard you have and don't rely on resits cos its getting even harder too.

(i know i might sound like a hypocrite but take it from someone who's been there and is here again:rolleyes:)

i hope that helps but seriously, get your **** together MAN -YOU'VE GOT 4 MONTHS- 'eat, breath and sleep maths if you have to'- it's two years of your life (three, if you're me :colondollar:) that determines that rest of it, make the most of it.
Reply 8
Thanks dude , the wait between sending off my UCAS and recieving offers was so nerve racking haha; I applied for three MEng mechanical engineering courses and one BEng, but I can switch what type of course I want to do after the foundation year, provided I get the required grades and stuff.

I did the Engineering Education Scheme, in which I was working with a defence company called Selex, through this I was offered work experience for a week, but other than that I have no other experience (apart from working in Mcdonalds)

The unis you want to apply shouldn't really matter, since after you complete the foundaiton year you can switch to any uni that will take you. I beleive Sheffield is the highest ranking uni for mechanical engineering that offers a foundation course, or it could be Southampton, regardless they're both R-group unis, so not much difference there. As a benchmark the best unis offering engineering would most likely be in the r-group.

Overall, don't worry about not getting in, its unlikely if you meet the grade requirements they'll reject you for retaking... Other than that, ace you current subjects and it'll be a walk in the park for you.

And the best thing is, we get two fresher's, one for the foundation and one for the first year 😊😊😊
Original post by adott25
Thanks dude , the wait between sending off my UCAS and recieving offers was so nerve racking haha; I applied for three MEng mechanical engineering courses and one BEng, but I can switch what type of course I want to do after the foundation year, provided I get the required grades and stuff.

I did the Engineering Education Scheme, in which I was working with a defence company called Selex, through this I was offered work experience for a week, but other than that I have no other experience (apart from working in Mcdonalds)

The unis you want to apply shouldn't really matter, since after you complete the foundaiton year you can switch to any uni that will take you. I beleive Sheffield is the highest ranking uni for mechanical engineering that offers a foundation course, or it could be Southampton, regardless they're both R-group unis, so not much difference there. As a benchmark the best unis offering engineering would most likely be in the r-group.

Overall, don't worry about not getting in, its unlikely if you meet the grade requirements they'll reject you for retaking... Other than that, ace you current subjects and it'll be a walk in the park for you.

And the best thing is, we get two fresher's, one for the foundation and one for the first year 😊😊😊

haha that's awesome, thanks for that- you're kinda a legend in my books rn, you turned it all around, resitting, four offers AND two freshers...:eek: LUCKYYYYY... :colone:

Which uni do you think you'll be taking on their offer? or will you be transferring after foundation year to a better one?
besides uni talk, how are you finding A2 ?:albertein:

And how did you know you want to apply for mechanical engineering? because idk how to 'pick/choose' which type of engineering would be the best for me, i know i'd love to do something in engineering but not at all sure yet :confused: it's frustrating :angry:

do you think i need to get some work experience though to be considered properly- i don't really have any at all, i've got compulsory work experience from sixth form to do so i'm looking, got any connections :wink:

sorry ive got so many questions, you're the first person who gets what i'm asking and has had experience, so you're knowledge is actually helpful :biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 10
haha that's awesome, thanks for that- you're kinda a legend in my books rn, you turned it all around, resitting, four offers AND two freshers...:eek: LUCKYYYYY... :colone:

Which uni do you think you'll be taking on their offer? or will you be transferring after foundation year to a better one?
besides uni talk, how are you finding A2 ?:albertein:

And how did you know you want to apply for mechanical engineering? because idk how to 'pick/choose' which type of engineering would be the best for me, i know i'd love to do something in engineering but not at all sure yet :confused: it's frustrating :angry:

do you think i need to get some work experience though to be considered properly- i don't really have any at all, i've got compulsory work experience from sixth form to do so i'm looking, got any connections :wink:

sorry ive got so many questions, you're the first person who gets what i'm asking and has had experience, so you're knowledge is actually helpful :biggrin:

aha, i understand your relief, i was having the same 'reality check' this time last year, so i guess it normal? maybe?

Its probably going to be Sheffield as my firm and Nottingham as my insurance, i only picked Notts over Southhampton cus i absolutely love the campus, but the rational me would have picked shampton over notts.. but oh wells :smile:

A2 is relatively okay... i think... im finding all my subjects except physics (picked it up this year, cus i needed to take a break from writing essays) super boring to revise for, but the good thing is that procrastination for me is doing past papers for physics, so ive got that going for me i guess:h: (also i started watching american horror story, so that also contributes to finding revision boring)

I chose mechanical cus its the broadest engineering barring general engineering, tbh i looked on the wiki page for mechanical eng and it looked pretty cool and from then on i was hooked onto mechanical.. then agian, if i find its boring i can always switch, so im not totally in the dark :smile:

As for work experience, i presume they wouldnt take it as a factor to reject you if dont have it, but it kinda shows that youre proactive and have an actual intrest in engineering. Also, its great for personal statements, you can use it as a whole paragraph and BS all the wonderful things you learnt during your time. :wink:
Original post by adott25
aha, i understand your relief, i was having the same 'reality check' this time last year, so i guess it normal? maybe?

Its probably going to be Sheffield as my firm and Nottingham as my insurance, i only picked Notts over Southhampton cus i absolutely love the campus, but the rational me would have picked shampton over notts.. but oh wells :smile:

A2 is relatively okay... i think... im finding all my subjects except physics (picked it up this year, cus i needed to take a break from writing essays) super boring to revise for, but the good thing is that procrastination for me is doing past papers for physics, so ive got that going for me i guess:h: (also i started watching american horror story, so that also contributes to finding revision boring)

I chose mechanical cus its the broadest engineering barring general engineering, tbh i looked on the wiki page for mechanical eng and it looked pretty cool and from then on i was hooked onto mechanical.. then agian, if i find its boring i can always switch, so im not totally in the dark :smile:

As for work experience, i presume they wouldnt take it as a factor to reject you if dont have it, but it kinda shows that youre proactive and have an actual intrest in engineering. Also, its great for personal statements, you can use it as a whole paragraph and BS all the wonderful things you learnt during your time. :wink:

i'm glad you understandi think this is as normal as i'll ever get (which is not normal), i'm glad you got through it all tho, you seem pretty chill :u:i'll probably do what you've said with work experience, English has made me a pro in the art of BS. I did physics last year too haha got a U, if you're doing AS maybe i can help...? idk how much help i could be tho- i found physics really interesting... well concepts and theory but i hated past papers- but you keep at it And you're spoilt for uni choices, they sound really good and they're r-group (all i can think right now is #goals and that i should probably take a look at Sheffield myself too) i'm guessing you're going to take the leap and move away to uni? I hope everything works out really well, fingers crossed for you're firm (have you had any interviews?) i'm rooting for ya - you're grades are up there, so i guesss you'll get it soon enough if you stop with the distractions American horror story is awesome- (what season are you on?) And have any of the unis asked about you resitting? (just a bit curious, i've had mixed responses about this from the people i;ve asked but none of them have resat so i guess they wouldn't know??:s-smilie:) i was just wondering since you've done Psychology, how do you manage revision for that, remembering studies for evaluation, theories and concepts etc.- in all honesty i find it quite boring, and no idea where to start when i do revision. (i'm okay at it but there's always room for improvement) and any other kind of revision stuff you do in general that can be used with other essay subjects too (like english)thanks for your replies, you've cleared up a lot for me :biggrin: i'll have a look on engineering- still deciding though but that sounds like a good thing to consider -the courses i've looked allow students to decide fully at the end of the foundation year, so i can change my mind. (you do economics as well?- i have no idea what this subject is tbh but i hope that is going well for you in general) :cool: keep chill :smile:
Reply 12
i literally think we were seperated at birth, i too got a U in physics on my first sitting, i found it so interesting but i did absolutely no work for it, but this year its going pretty well, i've also realised how little you actually need to remember, it all about understanding, once you nail that it's pretty simple.
As for AHS ive binged watched the last three episodes of series one today( my excuse is i had two two hour mocks today :biggrin:). I blame my girlfriend for this, she was bugging me to start watching it, i did, and now im hooked :biggrin:
the unis have sent nothing but give me offers and the generic emails they send out to offer holders. The only mention of me resitting was on my reference from my econ teacher, but it was in a good light, so i guess the unis took it pretty well. tbh, i dont think they really give a crap, unless its the 'prick' unis i.e. oxford, cambridge, imperial etc.

As for psychology, OMG, AS content is soooooooo boring(A2 is intresting but the amount you have to remember is astoundingly large ), i have no idea how i managed to scramble all that crap into my head. the way i did revision was to write notes, then rewrite them till i remembered it, so i think i rewrote all my notes about 4 times over my revision period. but thats me being weird, you just have to use a bunch of different techniques and see which works out for you. tbh, psychology you can BS your way through it, as long as you know the key concepts, you can almost make up the studies and as long as you link the results back into the question, no examiner will actually go out and look for that specific study; my teacher said you can use uncited research, which basically means you can make up a study in you the exam and theyll take (although i wouldnt recommend this unless you're really stuck )

economics? that was my first true love, till i dug deep and realised how boring my working life would be in comparison to doing engineering
Original post by adott25
i literally think we were seperated at birth, i too got a U in physics on my first sitting, i found it so interesting but i did absolutely no work for it, but this year its going pretty well, i've also realised how little you actually need to remember, it all about understanding, once you nail that it's pretty simple.

As for AHS ive binged watched the last three episodes of series one today( my excuse is i had two two hour mocks today :biggrin:). I blame my girlfriend for this, she was bugging me to start watching it, i did, and now im hooked :biggrin:
the unis have sent nothing but give me offers and the generic emails they send out to offer holders. The only mention of me resitting was on my reference from my econ teacher, but it was in a good light, so i guess the unis took it pretty well. tbh, i dont think they really give a crap, unless its the 'prick' unis i.e. oxford, cambridge, imperial etc.

As for psychology, OMG, AS content is soooooooo boring(A2 is intresting but the amount you have to remember is astoundingly large ), i have no idea how i managed to scramble all that crap into my head. the way i did revision was to write notes, then rewrite them till i remembered it, so i think i rewrote all my notes about 4 times over my revision period. but thats me being weird, you just have to use a bunch of different techniques and see which works out for you. tbh, psychology you can BS your way through it, as long as you know the key concepts, you can almost make up the studies and as long as you link the results back into the question, no examiner will actually go out and look for that specific study; my teacher said you can use uncited research, which basically means you can make up a study in you the exam and theyll take (although i wouldnt recommend this unless you're really stuck )

economics? that was my first true love, till i dug deep and realised how boring my working life would be in comparison to doing engineering

it's awesome that you got the chance again with physics :smile:, the understanding bit is 100% true but i don't think my school will ever let me near a science classroom ever again... haha

You're officially caught up with me on AHS, i got addicted to SUITS a while back, i recommend you watch that 111%, it's amazeball, a con artist-ish type of dude and Harvard graduated top of the rocks lawyer join forces, and kick legal ass (that the best improvised summary i could come up with- if that doesn't persuade you i don't know what will) :nutcase:

two words 'prick unis' :five: i think thats all i needed to know really. thanks, that really cracked me up

TWO two hour mocks :ahhhhh:you're a survivor, a survivor MAN. i've got a 2 and a half hour mock coming up which i'm dreading. there's too much pain, suffering. heartache.... (i'm getting a little dramatic but i think you get the point)

I'm just going go in and do that mock the only way i know how to.. i'm going to go in Rambo :rambo: style, all or nothing.

I fully agree, AS psychology is about a interesting as getting hit in the head with a brick repeatedly, it's becoming painful, especially research methods. i've started making model essays for myself for the three topics in paper 1 (Attachment, social psychology and memory) so far, so i should roughly get about 21-22 12 mark essays for that whole paper- it's been helping remember theory and evaluation and understand everything WAY better, then i'm probably going to do some written notes for odd bits and bats i need to know- it's time consuming but it helps then for shorter mark questions and i'd be pretty easy to strip away extra info only apply what the question requires. I'm going to practise with these essay rewriting and memorising so i should be prepared for the exams. i don't think my teacher is much help in helping apply knowledge etc. so i kinda came up with this way. i think this technique might help you for A2, cos i think you get 3 essays? (i'm not really sure, but for AS there's is a wide breadth of choices for 12 markers but atleast it'd help me remember stuff for long mark questions and short) -hopefully that helps you

which topics has you're school chosen you for A2?

(*did you have to declare you're first sitting AS on UCAS?)
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest