The Student Room Group
The Quad, Middlesex University
Middlesex University
London

Journalism, Creative Writing and English – Course Ambassador Q&A

Hello,
My name is Ludovica and I am a third year student of Journalism and Media!
I am also the Course Ambassador of Journalism, Creative Writing and English.
Contact me if have any question about these courses at Middlesex University!
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hey I am planning on studying this course at either Kingston or Middlesex university and I would like to knw if you could tell me more about the course and the way the University runs it. Thank you
The Quad, Middlesex University
Middlesex University
London
Hello Shazia,

nice to meeting you.
Which course are you thinking on studying?
Journalism and Media?
Yes I am planning on studying Journalism and Media
Hello, TheJournalism and Media course is a three years course. It covers thejournalism side and the media side. It is 50% theory and 50% practice. You willhave just one exam at the end of the first year and it will be about the"journalism law" (copyright, privacy...etc)In the firstweek of the first year you will be sent around the area to find a newsstory! In the first year you will analyse the basics of journalism(e.g. how to write features, how to conduct an interview..), you willlearn how to use Adobe Indesign, Premiere and Photoshop, you will organise andconduct a small social change campaign and you will learn the basics of themedia analysis (e.g semiotics..)
In yoursecond year you will have three modules compulsory (journalism in whichyou will have to work on a portfolio and with Indesign, media productionin which you will learn how to use the radio station, the news room and youwill learn how to make TV packages, and research techniques that willexplore the different research techniques) and one optional. This will bethe moment in which you will be able to choose in which direction you want togo. If you are more interested in media or in journalism. For example you canchoose global journalism or communication techniques.
In your thirdyear there are two modules compulsory (Independent project and Journalism)and two are optional. For example, you can choose a module in which you have torun a campaign and another one about media events.
Additionally,there are so many extra activities that you can join and improve your skills! Youcan have a radio programme, write for the University magazine or join theJournalism Society!
Hope ithelps, if you need any other help let me know!
I advice youto come to the next Open Day on the 13th of February! You can have alook at the open day here:
http://www.mdx.ac.uk/get-in-touch/meet-us/ug-open-days
Oh thank you so much. This has made its really clear to me now. And yes I will try my best to attend it that open event. I would also like to ask if I can use photography as part of my modules, showing my projects and topics through photos taken by myself?
Hello,

you can definitely use photography!
There will be loads of opportunities to use your own interests and skills!
This is my last project for the module "Writing the City". https://londonwearsredwordpresscom.wordpress.com
As you can see, pictures played an important role :smile:
Looking forward to meeting you at the next open day :smile:
Wow that is really impressive!
I really like it.
That is great, it's my passion to do photography and I am really glad that I will be able to use my skills for my course as well.
Definitely!
there is also a photography society that you can join :smile:
Let me know if you need any other help. :smile:
I am really considering coming to Middlesex now haha
Thank you so much for your help and yes sure I will.
:smile: thank you!
Have a great week-end.
Hello, this is my previous week. I am writing it to show how is the life of a Journalism and Media student at Middlesex University.

This week has been a very busy week. Itstarted with doing the Social Media for Broadcasting Today, a TV show run bythe Media Department, on Monday afternoon.
On Wednesday I had classes and I workedat the VIP offer holder event. We welcomed the students who have applied forMiddlesex University and we answered their questions. There was also some foodand drinks.
On Thursday, my society and I run astall at the ReFresh Fair. We had the chance to promote our society to the new and old students. In the evening, I went with a bunch of friends to a pub crawl organized by the Raise and Give society. We started from the local pub and wewent to five different places in Camden Town. We had loads of fun!
On Friday I had classes in the early morning and at lunchtime. In the afternoon, I have written some articles forthe online magazine that I am working for and I went to the gym.
On Saturday I went to Piccadilly Institute with some Italian friends. We had a very nice catch up! On Sunday I relaxed, watched a movie and wrote a couple of articles for my dissertation.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Ludovica at MDX
:smile: thank you!
Have a great week-end.

Thank you!
You too xx
What I’ve been doing this week 25th Jan 2016

It has been a busy week between University work, ambassador work and society work. On Monday, I got an e-mail saying that a company I applied for wanted to invite me for an interview on Friday. So, my week has mainly been about researching for this interview.
On Tuesday, I worked at an event led by the Health andEducation department and we had some guests from Northern Ireland. I welcomed them, gave them lunch and floated around in case they needed help.
On Wednesday, I spent most of my day in Notting Hill, where my class, my teacher and I went for a walk. The aim of this walk was to see how London has changed throughout the years.
In terms of society work, the Journalism Society and I organised a “meet and greet” event on Thursday. We organised some activities and games to play with the freshers.
On Friday, after my lesson, I went to my job interview in South West London. After that, I met my best friend for a tea and went out with some friends.On Saturday and on Sunday, I mainly did my University work,went to the gym and invited some friends over.

Ludovica
Course Ambassador
Journalism, Creative Writing and English
(edited 8 years ago)
What I’ve been doing this week 1st Feb 2016

This week I have started to promote the live talk that the Journalism Society and I have set up. We are very excited to have a Journalist from Vice coming to talk to us! Here is the event if you want to have a look!
https://www.facebook.com/events/1301521736540006/
I have also kept working on one of my projects (http://ludovicauggeri94.wix.com/volunteersjubilee ) and on my final creative project.

Ludovica
Course Ambassador
Here are the highlights of the past week!
I have edited this video : http://ludovicauggeri94.wix.com/volunteersjubilee#!show-reel/c1tmc
I have worked on my magazine for which I went to take pictures of a detox kitchen in soho!
Additionally, I have worked at the open day! It was so much fun and I got to know so many new potential students :smile:
Do not miss the next open day in June :biggrin:

Ludovica
Course Ambassador
This week I have mainly done my uni work.
I have worked on my magazine and I had some tutorials.
Additionally, I have organised an event with the Journalism Society. We had a guest from Vice who came to give us some advice and talk about his carrier! It was a success!
On Friday the Visual Arts Society, linked with the Journalism Society and me, have organised a movie night! We watched "Anchorman" and we had a very good time.

Ludovica
Course Ambassador
This week, I have manly done my uni work and helped with the Students' Union elections.
I have worked on my magazine and my teacher gave me a good feedback! I just need to change a few things and it will be done! :smile:
About the elections, I have helped some friends to campaign for President and for Vice President! I went around the University and talked to people.

Ludovica
Course Ambassador
The final deadlines are coming and I am spending a lot of time in the library! I really enjoy my course tho, I will be sad to leave this amazing University!
On Saturday I went to celebrate one of my friends birthday! We went to a pub in Chalk Farm and we had a very nice evening.
Check out my contemporary Journalism project finished! http://ludovicauggeri94.wix.com/volunteersjubilee

Ludovica
Course Ambassador
This week I took part of some exciting events and activities!
The Visual Arts Society and The Grove Magazine organised an exhibition and I went to the opening night! On Wednesday I went to the 2nd year students dance show. I was so impressed, they are extremely talented.
I also worked at the Applicant day on Saturday! I had the chance to talk to many potential students and share my love for Middlesex University.

Ludovica
Course Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending