The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Materials Science and Engineering Applicants and Offer Holders - Imperial College

Hey guys,

I thought I'd start a thread for anyone who's applying to Materials Science and Engineering at Imperial to chat and share experiences!

This could be a great place to talk about the course, accommodation, interviews, offers, extracurricular e.t.c

Personally I'm going to accept my A*AA offer and put Imperial as my first choice with St Andrews as backup.

Who's hoping to go to Imperial? :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey! I got the offer for the same course. but, my conditional offer is A*A*A. why is it different?
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
You guys are so lucky! ICL does an exchange with MIT for materials students
Reply 3
Original post by itsme96
Hey! I got the offer for the same course. but, my conditional offer is A*A*A. why is it different?

Congrats on your offer! I know I was really happy to get one, Imperial can be really picky so well done :smile: In terms of grades for offers, I'm not 100% sure why they give people different offers, however I think that Predicted grades and Interviews have something to do with it. What were your predicted grades?
Are you gonna put Imperial down as your first choice?
Reply 4
Original post by Student403
You guys are so lucky! ICL does an exchange with MIT for materials students

Ah wow, I never knew that. Sounds like an incredible opportunity :O
Are you a Materials applicant too?
Original post by GeorgeG7
Ah wow, I never knew that. Sounds like an incredible opportunity :O
Are you a Materials applicant too?

I wish, for the simple reason of going to MIT! I'm an aeronautics offer holder
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
congrats for your offer!
I wish, for the simple reason of going to MIT! I'm an aeronautics offer holder
Original post by itsme96
congrats for your offer!

Thank you :smile: Maybe we'll meet next year!? :biggrin:

Congrats on yours too!
Reply 8
Congrats on your offer too! I didn't go for any interview. My predicted grades are A*A*A*A* when I was applying to UCAS. Now, I am planning to drop Further maths.What should I do? Do you think imperial will reject me becuse of that?
Btw, how about your grades? Had you been to interview before?

Original post by GeorgeG7
Congrats on your offer! I know I was really happy to get one, Imperial can be really picky so well done :smile: In terms of grades for offers, I'm not 100% sure why they give people different offers, however I think that Predicted grades and Interviews have something to do with it. What were your predicted grades?
Are you gonna put Imperial down as your first choice?
got rejected last night, had the grades, got 4/5 offers so nothing wrong with PS, gutted
Original post by Alevelstudent678
got rejected last night, had the grades, got 4/5 offers so nothing wrong with PS, gutted

Damn sorry to hear! What were your grades? Perhaps it was the interview? :/
Reply 11
Yes! I hope we can meet this year! :smile:
Damn sorry to hear! What were your grades? Perhaps it was the interview? :/

AAAB AS (Two A's not cashed in for double maths), Predicted A*A*A, didn't even get an interview!! thats what I'm annoyed about is that I didn't get the chance to show how good I am
Here!I got the offer yesterday night. It is really nice to see a thread about materials sceince on TSR.Personally I will definately firm imperial, but I am still choosing between Bristol (chemical physics)and UCL (natural sciences)as my insurance, any suggestions?
Hey :smile: I'm so glad to see a material science thread seeing as I can't see many applicants of this course on the general 2016 thread :/
I finally have been invited for an interview 2 months later, when I thought i'd been outright rejected :/
Any tips on the interview?? I'm also not sure how formal I should dress...
AAAB AS (Two A's not cashed in for double maths), Predicted A*A*A, didn't even get an interview!! thats what I'm annoyed about is that I didn't get the chance to show how good I am

Wow that's very weird. I'm very sorry to hear that!
Reply 16
Original post by itsme96
Congrats on your offer too! I didn't go for any interview. My predicted grades are A*A*A*A* when I was applying to UCAS. Now, I am planning to drop Further maths.What should I do? Do you think imperial will reject me becuse of that?
Btw, how about your grades? Had you been to interview before?

Wow, awesome predicted grades! I would probably continue with Further Maths cause I hear it can be really useful for the course. However, they gave you an A*A*A offer so I'm sure they wouldn't reject you if you dropped Further Maths, i think you have to notify them though.

My grades were 8A*2A GCSE then 4A at AS with 3A*s predicted + an A predicted in AS further maths + yeah I had an interview and it seemed like they were mostly testing communication skills :smile:

Where abouts are you from?
Reply 17
Original post by Ramyun
Hey :smile: I'm so glad to see a material science thread seeing as I can't see many applicants of this course on the general 2016 thread :/
I finally have been invited for an interview 2 months later, when I thought i'd been outright rejected :/
Any tips on the interview?? I'm also not sure how formal I should dress...

Haha yeah I thought TSR needed a MatSci thread!
Congratulations on your interview!

My advice would be to practice talking about your subject to parents/friends/teachers - anyone who will listen, so that you can communicate your interest in the real thing. Learn as much as possible about what you have written in your personal statement, though they may only test you on a very small part of it. Graph sketching, differentiation and integration could also come up! Other than that, familiarity with the Physics A2 course is helpful.

Most people dressed Smart-casual at the interview I attended.

Hope this helps and best of luck - remember that getting an interview means they liked your application! :smile:
Reply 18

I'm really sorry to hear that. Sometimes it can be really confusing to understand what exactly they are looking for. Absolute best of luck wherever you end up as I'm sure you will have an amazing time there :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by hahaox768
Here!I got the offer yesterday night. It is really nice to see a thread about materials sceince on TSR.Personally I will definately firm imperial, but I am still choosing between Bristol (chemical physics)and UCL (natural sciences)as my insurance, any suggestions?

Congrats on your offer! I'm really looking forward to meeting everyone (if I get my grades)
Where abouts are you from? + Your insurance decision is really up to you, go with your gut instinct! Both are great UNIs

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending