The Student Room Group

Do I have time for a job and societies at uni?

Since my maintenance loan doesn't cover my rent I basically have to get a job when I'm at uni. But I was looking at my university SU page and saw that there's 3 societies I really want to join, and I would also like to be able to volunteer at the local RSPCA once a week or so as volunteering is something I really enjoy.

I'm going to be studying psychology, and at my university I'll have about 8-12 contact hours a week. Is it possible to commit to several or more societies, hold down a job, do my uni work and keep up a social life? I don't want to end up being ridiculously overwhelmed and have a breakdown by the end of the first term :')
Reply 1
yes you do.
I mean, the important question that needs to be asked is which uni?

I'd also query why you're not getting parental support if your maintenance loan doesn't cover your rent.
Original post by TheDefiniteArticle
I mean, the important question that needs to be asked is which uni?

I'd also query why you're not getting parental support if your maintenance loan doesn't cover your rent.

Leicester. And the whole loan situation is a big long story but basically my parents have a high income so therefore I get a small loan, but they don't have much disposable income so can't really afford to give me much extra cash
Original post by catherineannava
Leicester.

The answer's 'yeah, probably, so long as you learn to work efficiently and don't decide to go out every single night on top of all that'. You can bash out most uni courses' work in about 20-25 hours a week once you're practised.
Does the SU page show what time the societies meet? If so, you could check this year's timetable for students. Not 100% useful but it should give you an idea of what it would've been like this year.

With those contact hours if you made a plan to make sure that you were studying outside of lectures enough, you'd be okay with all of the other things
I would say it's unlikely, 3 societies by itself is pushing it let alone adding volunteering and work on top of that. I would start with a job and either 1 society which requires a lot of time investment (e.g. varsity sports or anything competitive really) or 2 societies which require a couple of hours per week and it's not a big deal if you miss a couple meet ups, then if that goes fine try the other things.
Reply 7
Depends on the societies also.
Team sports tend to be very regular and can be time consuming at higher levels, but more casual ones you don't even need to attend all the time if you've a lot on, and may not be regular at all.
Worth waiting and finding out how often they are.
i have about 15 hours contact time a week.
i go to one soc which takes up around 3 hours a week more if i go to the socials.
i work 12 hours every weekend.
i get my work done (2 assignments per module.)

just dont procrastinate and make sure you prioritise uni work when it gets to the deadline times and everything will be fine.
It depends on how many hours you'll need to work, how much time commitment they require (and if you would need to go to every event/meeting or not), how 'efficiently' you study, how much time you'd spend volunteering and how much relaxing time you would need. You can try out the societies and see how you feel about them and make a decision partway though the term. Maybe it would be useful to leave the volunteering until the second term so you know whether you have the time for it.
Original post by catherineannava
Leicester. And the whole loan situation is a big long story but basically my parents have a high income so therefore I get a small loan, but they don't have much disposable income so can't really afford to give me much extra cash

Once you leave home they will have fewer outgoings as you will no longer be eating, using hot water or using toiletries at home, and they won't be supplying bus fares, pocket money, lunch money etc etc, so they should at least be able to divert that money in your direction.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending