The Student Room Group

Is monogamy dying out?

Poll

Do you think monogamy is dying out

Is polygamy the next gay marriage?

Someone around here said polygamy is increasingly becoming the norm so what do you think about it?
Original post by Lisbethli
Is polygamy the next gay marriage?

Someone around here said polygamy is increasingly becoming the norm so what do you think about it?

Monogamy is still very much the norm, but marriage and long term committment is definitely decreasing in society, and more casual relationships (e.g. fwb, open relationships, swinging) are definitely increasing.

You can thank feminism for all of that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dreifusser

You can thank feminism for all of that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks feminism. Keep up the good work.
Reply 5
Here's the thing if polygamy became fully legalised, it would be very weird. Imagine the jealousy problems. Which straight guy would want his wife going off to get married to another guy. The other way round less of a problem as it has been through surveys that more women %wise are bisexual then men but still a problem.
Then how would it work. Would they all be married to each other or would it be like: women1 is married to man 1 &man 2. man 2 is married to women 2. woman 2 is also married to women 3 who is married to man 3.
Imagine how complicated the divorce would be, plus child custody

Those two probably aren't the best articles, the first one is pretty much an op-ed written by someone who doesn't seem to be particularly good at handling relationships and the latter a write up about some hick equating polygamy and gay marriage.

If anything I think monogamy is becoming a stronger concept, we take longer to find partners and commit, divorce is accepted better and it's more difficult to hide an affair.
Original post by DiddyDec

Don't be unreasonable. :wink:
Reply 8
Trust me I'm doing my bit to kill monogamy off :wink: :worm:
Reply 9
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Thanks feminism. Keep up the good work.

LOOOOL
Original post by futbol
Trust me I'm doing my bit to kill monogamy off :wink: :worm:

Strong avatar to post content ratio, lmao

Posted from TSR Mobile
Are the amount of these relationships increasing, or is it merely the amount of people who are open about their private affairs that have increased? :holmes:
Reply 12
Original post by Drunk Punx
Are the amount of these relationships increasing, or is it merely the amount of people who are open about their private affairs that have increased? :holmes:

But i was not just talking about open relationships, i was also talking about marriage between more than two people. Someone on here said that this will be the new norm in the future and somehow that got me thinking, because i actually like monogamy, but will it die out?
Original post by Lisbethli
But i was not just talking about open relationships, i was also talking about marriage between more than two people. Someone on here said that this will be the new norm in the future and somehow that got me thinking, because i actually like monogamy, but will it die out?

It's not dying out.

And so what if polygamy becomes the new norm? The likelihood of you not being able to find someone who's into monogamy as much as you are is extremely slim, especially within your lifetime.
EWWWW who would want like 5 husbands that's just ****, I will stick to one thnx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending