The Student Room Group

Would employers take Goethe Institute exam as an acceptable alternative to a degree?

(Disclaimer: I'm unsure if this is posted in the right forum, so moderators feel free to move it)

I'm interested in a potential career using my German as I have a natural ability in it (got an A* at GCSE & A-level) but I am unable to study it to degree level as I am also caring for a terminally ill parent and so I can't take the year abroad (which is a compulsory part of the degree for the decent uni in my area).

Will employers regard the Goethe Institute certificate as an equivalent, or would it disadvantage me?

I'm thinking of doing my actual degree in Marketing or Politics.

Is it worth the risk of not doing the degree if I want to use my German for a career?
Original post by J_89

Better still, talk to the Universities about what they could do. If you were a current student and met some situation whereby you simply couldn't complete the year abroad, they would find a solution that enabled you to graduate.

The other much tougher considerations is, will your situation probably be different in 18-20 months time, when a second year programme might start?
Reply 2
Thanks for your reply.

I've spoken to the university and they're not willing to renege on the year abroad part and as I have not yet started the degree, I'd either have to not take German (or take it at 25% which I don't think employers will take as evidence of German knowledge, especially as the only option for that is ab initio), or do the year abroad (I don't know if my mum will still be around then, but I have to take it like she will in making the decision now in case she is).

So, really, I need to know about this Goethe Institute programme. Any ideas much appreciated :smile:
Original post by J_89
Thanks for your reply.

I've spoken to the university and they're not willing to renege on the year abroad part and as I have not yet started the degree, I'd either have to not take German (or take it at 25% which I don't think employers will take as evidence of German knowledge, especially as the only option for that is ab initio), or do the year abroad (I don't know if my mum will still be around then, but I have to take it like she will in making the decision now in case she is).

So, really, I need to know about this Goethe Institute programme. Any ideas much appreciated :smile:

You said the good university requires a year abroad - are there less good unis that don't require it? If so I would just go there and do German. I'm sure any employer will see your good grades and will accept that you couldn't attend a uni with a year abroad in your circumstances
I guess it depends on the exam as well, you should be aiming for C1/C2 for employers to take it into account. I couldn't do a language A Level so unis were asking me for a B2 certificate to replace that, I ended up passing the C1 exam and even though I am not studying German at degree level, I managed to get some jobs where speaking German was a requirement.

I guess having the certificate would be a good substitute in order to fulfill the initial requirements. If employers are interested in your level of German, they will test you on it during the interview. You might be able to speak the language better than somebody who has a degree and just slept through it, just focus on keeping your language skills at a high level. Keep practising, get your degree in a different area (which will give you more exposure into a new domain as well), and remember that in the UK you can even be a freelance interpreter without a degree in languages!
Original post by infairverona
You said the good university requires a year abroad - are there less good unis that don't require it? If so I would just go there and do German. I'm sure any employer will see your good grades and will accept that you couldn't attend a uni with a year abroad in your circumstances

All language courses will require a year abroad, regardless of institution. You cannot complete a language degree without a year abroad
Original post by super_kawaii
All language courses will require a year abroad, regardless of institution. You cannot complete a language degree without a year abroad

You can at the Open University and Birkbeck, University of London. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending