The Student Room Group

Best University for CompSci (based on my grades)

Greetings,

I am hoping to go to university in 2017/18 after finishing my A-levels. Now, I am going to be modest. I know I won't get into any super high-end university like Cambridge because of my GCSE maths result, I got a C which means I could not do A-level maths or Physics. And, tbh I probably wouldn't have done maths had I got the requirement anyway, which was a B. I would have done Physics however. (P.S. I wouldn't really want to go to Oxbridge anyway)

So my question is, do you have any suggestions for CompSci based upon my predicted grades (i.e. my actual predictions + how hard I work in class)?

My grades are predicted to be...

ICT - A/B
Geography - B
Business Studies - B
Media - C (Purely because I don't enjoy it. This WILL be my AS level.)

In year 13 I will be doing extended project as well, adding another 40/50 points to my UCAS score.

Again, I will mention that I only got a C in GCSE maths, which may exclude some options where A-level maths isn't required.

I have checked out Teesside, Edge Hill, LJMU and Liverpool Hope, as well as Huddersfield University.

Any replies I will be extremely grateful for.

Thank you! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Not many places...

Mathematics pretty much underpins computer science. You NEED Mathematics.

Let me clarify. Plenty of uni's will take you without A level maths (although that GCSE grade will disadvantage you). But you cannot avoid maths in a computer science degree.
Original post by High Stakes
Not many places...

Mathematics pretty much underpins computer science. You NEED Mathematics.

Let me clarify. Plenty of uni's will take you without A level maths (although that GCSE grade will disadvantage you). But you cannot avoid maths in a computer science degree.

Thanks for the reply. Obviously maths is unavoidable. I did enjoy maths. And I am doing two maths-heavy courses at A-level; geography and business studies. Perhaps I can use this to my advantage? What do you think?
Original post by abrack
Thanks for the reply. Obviously maths is unavoidable. I did enjoy maths. And I am doing two maths-heavy courses at A-level; geography and business studies. Perhaps I can use this to my advantage? What do you think?

@Princepieman I believe has applied to Comp Sci so he knows a bit more. But I can confidently say that the maths you encounter in business and geography is no where near sufficient.

My suggestion for you is probably, if you're really serious about Comp Sci is to finish your A levels. Then take up A level Maths. Get really excited about maths and start killing it until you're at least B grade. If you find A level Maths to be too difficult, I'm afraid you'll have to find an alternative course (perhaps one focused more on just programming - which even then requires some mathematical ability at the higher levels).

You can sit the A level Maths exams privately and learn from the comfort of your home. If you're doing it after you finish your A levels, you pretty much have a full year to focus on one A level so you should be fine. You can even up it by trying Further Maths but first try A level Maths and give it a try.
Original post by High Stakes
@Princepieman I believe has applied to Comp Sci so he knows a bit more. But I can confidently say that the maths you encounter in business and geography is no where near sufficient.

My suggestion for you is probably, if you're really serious about Comp Sci is to finish your A levels. Then take up A level Maths. Get really excited about maths and start killing it until you're at least B grade. If you find A level Maths to be too difficult, I'm afraid you'll have to find an alternative course (perhaps one focused more on just programming - which even then requires some mathematical ability at the higher levels).

You can sit the A level Maths exams privately and learn from the comfort of your home. If you're doing it after you finish your A levels, you pretty much have a full year to focus on one A level so you should be fine. You can even up it by trying Further Maths but first try A level Maths and give it a try.

I understand. I already have a back up. As much as I *enjoyed* maths, I couldn't do it again, so based on what you've said, I think I may stop pursuing CompSci. Luckily for me, I have got a fallback, Cyber Security. I know for a fact that isn't as maths intensive as Computer Science luckily for me. It is also something I have enjoyed and have been intrigued by for years and years.
Original post by abrack
I understand. I already have a back up. As much as I *enjoyed* maths, I couldn't do it again, so based on what you've said, I think I may stop pursuing CompSci. Luckily for me, I have got a fallback, Cyber Security. I know for a fact that isn't as maths intensive as Computer Science luckily for me. It is also something I have enjoyed and have been intrigued by for years and years.

In addition to this, I work a lot with networking theory in ICT. I also have years of personal experience with security application etc.

Maybe Cyber Security is for me?? :P
Cyber security is a branch of CompSci, which includes cryptography, data structures and highly technical maths concepts. ICT has almost nothing to do with CompSci, I wouldn't rely on that as career indicator.
Original post by abrack
Greetings,

I am hoping to go to university in 2017/18 after finishing my A-levels. Now, I am going to be modest. I know I won't get into any super high-end university like Cambridge because of my GCSE maths result, I got a C which means I could not do A-level maths or Physics. And, tbh I probably wouldn't have done maths had I got the requirement anyway, which was a B. I would have done Physics however. (P.S. I wouldn't really want to go to Oxbridge anyway)

So my question is, do you have any suggestions for CompSci based upon my predicted grades (i.e. my actual predictions + how hard I work in class)?

My grades are predicted to be...

ICT - A/B
Geography - B
Business Studies - B
Media - C (Purely because I don't enjoy it. This WILL be my AS level.)

In year 13 I will be doing extended project as well, adding another 40/50 points to my UCAS score.

Again, I will mention that I only got a C in GCSE maths, which may exclude some options where A-level maths isn't required.

I have checked out Teesside, Edge Hill, LJMU and Liverpool Hope, as well as Huddersfield University.

Any replies I will be extremely grateful for.

Thank you! :smile:

I have a friend who is in a similar situation regarding not taking A-Level maths. I believe there are quite a few universities that are good and don't require A-Level maths for cs. Though, if you're not into maths why cs, why not software engineering? Anyway Leicester, UEA, Sussex and Kent are just a few that don't require A-level maths. Hope this helps.
Original post by AndrewC19
I have a friend who is in a similar situation regarding not taking A-Level maths. I believe there are quite a few universities that are good and don't require A-Level maths for cs. Though, if you're not into maths why cs, why not software engineering? Anyway Leicester, UEA, Sussex and Kent are just a few that don't require A-level maths. Hope this helps.

I would love to do Software Engineering... I just thought Computer Science and CS were both the same? I mean, if they're not - fantastic! Do you know of the differences?

Cheers
Reply 9
Original post by abrack
I would love to do Software Engineering... I just thought Computer Science and CS were both the same? I mean, if they're not - fantastic! Do you know of the differences?

Cheers

CS/Computer Science/Software Engineering are all interchangable. Software Engineering sometimes has 2/3 compulsory modules in the 3rd year, where the CS modules would have been optional.

Just look up 'Computer Science Undergraduate Courses' that don't require Maths A Level, look at the Unis, look at the course content and then decide if it is something you would enjoy doing for the next three years. If you wan't help look up CS50X, Python, Java, or just any snippets of programming and start learning. That will give you a good indication of what CS is about. Not A-Level IT I'm afraid.
Original post by TrojanH
CS/Computer Science/Software Engineering are all interchangable. Software Engineering sometimes has 2/3 compulsory modules in the 3rd year, where the CS modules would have been optional.

Just look up 'Computer Science Undergraduate Courses' that don't require Maths A Level, look at the Unis, look at the course content and then decide if it is something you would enjoy doing for the next three years. If you wan't help look up CS50X, Python, Java, or just any snippets of programming and start learning. That will give you a good indication of what CS is about. Not A-Level IT I'm afraid.

Yes, I already do peogramming! I have been learning C++, PHP, mySQL. I know HTML and CSS, but it isn't particularly useful in CompSci I guess.

A-level ICT wasn't quite what I was expecting... DTP stuff. :/ More useful than BTEC though.
Reply 11
Original post by abrack
Yes, I already do peogramming! I have been learning C++, PHP, mySQL. I know HTML and CSS, but it isn't particularly useful in CompSci I guess.

A-level ICT wasn't quite what I was expecting... DTP stuff. :/ More useful than BTEC though.

ICT more useful than BTEC? the BTEC in IT/Computing is miles better than A level ICT

I have experience of both and am in the second year of my Computer Science degree also the university that i go to doesnt accept A level ICT as 'a sufficiently analytical subject' however they evidently do accept the BTEC
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by yt7777
ICT more useful than BTEC? the BTEC in IT/Computing is miles better than A level ICT

I have experience of both and am in the second year of my Computer Science degree also the university that i go to doesnt accept A level ICT as 'a sufficiently analytical subject' however they evidently do accept the BTEC

I believe the BTEC course is designed to cover IT and Computing, and as a standalone is more relevant for Computer Science, however, most universities still accept A Level ICT as an A-Level, but most for Computer Science, require a Scientific/Mathematical based A-Level alongside. Plus, a lot of universities for Computer Science will only take the BTEC alongside an A Level in maths.
Original post by abrack

Experience in programming isn't essential in most cases, in fact, in my interviews/applicant days I found that a lot of the Uni's prefer someone who is inexperienced, as a lot of applicants tend to think they're a polished and perfected programmer. But when applying I'd definitely emphasise your interest in the subject by teaching yourself various languages as it would be your strongest point in terms of Computer Science.
Reply 14
Original post by AndrewC19
I believe the BTEC course is designed to cover IT and Computing, and as a standalone is more relevant for Computer Science, however, most universities still accept A Level ICT as an A-Level, but most for Computer Science, require a Scientific/Mathematical based A-Level alongside. Plus, a lot of universities for Computer Science will only take the BTEC alongside an A Level in maths.

Yes it is but the OP said A level ICT was better :P which it doesn't come close to being

I know universities accept it but usually not in place of a desired subject like Computing or CS, where in most cases the BTEC is accepted.

usually its just top 10-15 unis that require maths for CompSci, also i do CompSci to a top 20 uni which requires ABB (inc. Maths, Physics or Computing) which they specifically say they dont regard ICT A level as being sufficient however they do accept the BTEC in IT

i was just correcting the OP on the point that they made of ICT A level being better for computer science than the BTEC
Original post by yt7777
Yes it is but the OP said A level ICT was better :P which it doesn't come close to being

I know universities accept it but usually not in place of a desired subject like Computing or CS, where in most cases the BTEC is accepted.

usually its just top 10-15 unis that require maths for CompSci, also i do CompSci to a top 20 uni which requires ABB (inc. Maths, Physics or Computing) which they specifically say they dont regard ICT A level as being sufficient however they do accept the BTEC in IT

i was just correcting the OP on the point that they made of ICT A level being better for computer science than the BTEC

Ah, I see! Misunderstood, I completely agree. As a standalone, BTEC is more beneficial to a Computer Science student than ICT. A lot of people don't understand that Computer Science isn't just word, excel and programming!
Original post by yt7777

I didn't say it, sorry. I meant to say that A-level ICT gets more in terms of UCAS points.
Reply 17
They get the same...

Pass = E = 40 UCAS points
Merit = C = 80 UCAS points
Distinction = A= 120 UCAS points
D* = A*= 140 UCAS points
Original post by yt7777
They get the same...

Pass = E = 40 UCAS points
Merit = C = 80 UCAS points
Distinction = A= 120 UCAS points
D* = A*= 140 UCAS points

A BTEC Pass is equivalent to a C, is it not? Otherwise everyone would be doing BTECs, as they're much easier than A-levels.
Original post by abrack
A BTEC Pass is equivalent to a C, is it not? Otherwise everyone would be doing BTECs, as they're much easier than A-levels.

He's not making it up. The government, and many universities, give them the same amount of 'UCAS points' as traditional A Levels. However, the amount of unis that accept BTECs are less than that of those that accept A Levels as they are seen as a less demanding qualification. If you've ever only wanted to go to 'University of X' and X accepted BTEC, then it would be a lot easier to get into with BTECs.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending