The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zrehman24
Very worried as one of my friends told me that there physics teacher said that the old higher was easier than the current cfe higher!! I have bought a specimen paper book for physics for cfe and working through that if I work through them will that be the right style and level of questions in the cfe higher physics exam?

Try not to worry about teacher's opinions of easier/harder exams as that will only make you less confident in yourself/ your preparation. The questions from the old higher are still valuable, particularly those from the revised higher. Below is a link to a document produced by the SQA which highlights the relevant questions for CfE higher from the past few years' exams. There are similar documents for other subjects which you should find if you just type into google '(name of subject) cfe higher guidance on past paper use'
Here's the link: http://www.sqa.org.uk/files_ccc/PhysicsSQPHPPGuidance.pdf

I'm assuming you are talking about the Hodder Gibson book? If so, I find them particularly good as they were similar to the exam in terms of format, style of questions, difficulty and range of questions- I have found them really useful, both this year for higher and last year for national 5s. I'm pretty sure they are also SQA approved/endorsed.
Hope this helps and that your revision is going well:smile:
Yes it is the hodder Gibson book I also use the how to pass physics book which is good for summarising topics. It's going okay for physics haven't yet completed a full paper to see where I'm really at but will plan to do that either tomorrow or at the weekend. Physics chemistry and maths are my biggest worry :frown:. How is your revision going? How many hours are you doing each day? Are you back to school
Yes it is the hodder Gibson book I also use the how to pass physics book which is good for summarising topics. It's going okay for physics haven't yet completed a full paper to see where I'm really at but will plan to do that either tomorrow or at the weekend. Physics chemistry and maths are my biggest worry :frown:. How is your revision going? How many hours are you doing each day? Are you back to school

My revision is going ok- some days I do really well and other days I do not...I do about 8 hours on a good day, but the average is probably nearer 6 hours... I am still on Easter holiday- I go back next Tuesday. English is probably my biggest worry, but only because I hate it! How is your revision going and how long do you spend revising? When do you go back to school?(or are you back already?)
Reply 63

For Maths and Physics the BEST thing you can do is past papers, work through them one by one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JP298
For Maths and Physics the BEST thing you can do is past papers, work through them one by one.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I 100% agree with this.
I'm back at school now but when I come back I revise a lot. Today I'm very tired so only managed to do physics today and go over refraction if light. I am trying to do as many past papers for maths and physics working my way through them and doing the questions I find challenging/ difficult. Hopefully with hard work and determination I'll achieve my goal
Reply 66
Hey guys, thanks so much that makes much more sense.

Still one or two questions though:

For q23, to get your answer you would have to draw a normal vertically. I thought the normal was displayed already in the diagram vertically???

And for q22, for maxima you use m=1 at each bright spot so a minima is therefore m=1/2 or m=1 and a 1/2 ??????????

And lastly @Labrador99, there is no way you're sitting the higher exam!?!?!?! You're amazing at Physics!!!!!!!!!! :smile: You seriously helped me thanks so much. I hope I can get my 5A's this year and I too am worried so much about English because I hate it.

TSR is so good for help because people like you and asklepios don't get pissed when someone as stupid as me doesn't understand anything ahahaha. It's a nice change. :smile:

Thanks so much both of you guys :smile: :smile: :smile:
Reply 67
Anybody feeling generous?

Want to help Jeff over here on questions 3,7,13,21,23,27???

Would appreciate:
http://mrmackenzie.wikispaces.com/file/view/1994_HigherI.pdf
Original post by Jeff548

Would appreciate:

Hi Jeff548
Would you like hints or worked solutions?
Reply 69
Original post by Labrador99
Hi Jeff548
Would you like hints or worked solutions?

Worked solutions please if you could?

How are you so good at physics!?!?!!
Original post by Jeff548
Hey guys, thanks so much that makes much more sense.

Still one or two questions though:

For q23, to get your answer you would have to draw a normal vertically. I thought the normal was displayed already in the diagram vertically???

And for q22, for maxima you use m=1 at each bright spot so a minima is therefore m=1/2 or m=1 and a 1/2 ??????????

And lastly @Labrador99, there is no way you're sitting the higher exam!?!?!?! You're amazing at Physics!!!!!!!!!! :smile: You seriously helped me thanks so much. I hope I can get my 5A's this year and I too am worried so much about English because I hate it.

TSR is so good for help because people like you and asklepios don't get pissed when someone as stupid as me doesn't understand anything ahahaha. It's a nice change. :smile:

Thanks so much both of you guys :smile: :smile: :smile:

For Q23- I'm not really sure what you're asking, but the normal is always drawn perpendicular to the boundary- so in this case, the boundary between the water and the air is horizontal across the page, therefore, the normal would be drawn in the vertical position. If this still doesn't help, I could draw a diagram if you want?

And for Q22- I was taught that for the equations on the relationship sheet to work...the maximum in the middle(at the dotted line) is the zero order maximum(m=0). The first minima that you reach above and below it are the zero order minima(again, m=0). The next maximum is the first order maximum(m=1) and R and S both show first order minima(m=1)... The way that maxima and minima are differentiated between is that the formulae used for each is slightly different...
For a maxima... Path difference = m x wavelength
For a minima... Path difference = (m + 1/2) x wavelength
I know some teachers have different preferred methods for doing this as my teacher likes us to use logic, but I prefer the formula, so if I have confused you further, apologies!

Thank you so much for your kind words...I genuinely hope that you do well and get the grades you want.
Glad to be of assistance:smile:
Reply 71
Original post by Labrador99
For Q23- I'm not really sure what you're asking, but the normal is always drawn perpendicular to the boundary- so in this case, the boundary between the water and the air is horizontal across the page, therefore, the normal would be drawn in the vertical position. If this still doesn't help, I could draw a diagram if you want?

And for Q22- I was taught that for the equations on the relationship sheet to work...the maximum in the middle(at the dotted line) is the zero order maximum(m=0). The first minima that you reach above and below it are the zero order minima(again, m=0). The next maximum is the first order maximum(m=1) and R and S both show first order minima(m=1)... The way that maxima and minima are differentiated between is that the formulae used for each is slightly different...
For a maxima... Path difference = m x wavelength
For a minima... Path difference = (m + 1/2) x wavelength
I know some teachers have different preferred methods for doing this as my teacher likes us to use logic, but I prefer the formula, so if I have confused you further, apologies!

Thank you so much for your kind words...I genuinely hope that you do well and get the grades you want.
Glad to be of assistance:smile:

Cheers, got it.

So for first order maxima m=1 and for first order minima m=1 also? or for first order minima m=1/2?

I get the maxima just not the minima.
Original post by Jeff548
Worked solutions please if you could?

How are you so good at physics!?!?!!

Sure, coming up...I will post them as I do them:smile:
I'm ok at the calculations, but I am really bad at the explaining questions! I would say lots of practice questions, write down what you know from the question to help you decide what it is asking, don't miss any questions out and have a read at the specification and examiners report from last year's paper(both on the SQA website)- In fact, that's probably relevant for most, if not all subjects.:smile:
Original post by Jeff548
Cheers, got it.

So for first order maxima m=1 and for first order minima m=1 also? or for first order minima m=1/2?

I get the maxima just not the minima.

CCI14016.jpg
Hope this helps:smile:
Original post by Jeff548

Would appreciate:

Jeff548 I’ll put a hint so that you can try it yourself- you will benefit more if you figure it out for yourself (thanks Asklepios)…And then I’ll put the full worked solution in the spoiler if that’s ok?
Q3
s =50
u = 30
v = 0 (because the car comes to rest)
a = ?
t =
Use v^2 = u^2 + 2as

Spoiler

Original post by Jeff548

Would appreciate:

Q7
Impulse = Ft

Spoiler

Here's the full answer...

Spoiler

[QUOTE="Jeff548;64147197"]Anybody feeling generous?

Would appreciate:
http://mrmackenzie.wikispaces.com/file/view/1994_HigherI.pdf[/QUOTE]

Hope this helps:smile:
Q13
Hint: You will need to use the three equations V = IR, 1/RT = 1/R1 + 1/R2 and RT= R1 + R2 (in that order).

Spoiler

Here's the full answer:

Spoiler

Original post by Jeff548

Would appreciate:

Q21- This isn't the best explanation, so if anyone else has a better way of thinking, please share...
The light bends away from the normal when it travels from 1 to 2.
When light bends away from the normal, that means that it has travelled from a medium of high refractive index to a medium of low refractive index. Looking at the data sheet, this means that 1 might(for purposes of explanation/thinking) be glass and 2 might be air (as glass has a greater refractive index than air). Thinking about this, it make sense that the light would travel slower in glass than in air, hence v1<v2.

Spoiler

Original post by Jeff548

Would appreciate:

Q 23
To find out what happens as the ray enters the glass…When a ray of light travels from a medium with a lower refractive index to one with a higher refractive index, it bends towards the normal line. Eliminate the answers that don’t fit this rule.
To find out what happens at the second boundary…Find the angle of incidence at the second boundary. Compare with the critical angle (which you will need to calculate) and make a conclusion from this.
Full working in the spoiler….Hope this helps:smile:

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Jeff548

Would appreciate:

Here's 27...
For this one, you need to remember that if a photon has more energy, it has a higher frequency (since E = hf). Also, that higher frequency = shorter wavelength (since v = fλ).
Again, full answer in the spoiler... If any of these don't make sense, just let me know and I'll do my best to clarify.:smile:

Spoiler

Latest

Trending

Trending