The Student Room Group

CfE Higher Physics

What would you answer to this question? It's worth three marks.

According to the lyrics of a popular comedy song:

"The universe itself keeps on expanding and expanding in all of the directions it canwhizz. As fast as it can go, at the speed of light, you know, twelve million miles a minute,and that’s the fastest speed there is"

Use your knowledge of physics to comment on these lyrics.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by TheSmartGirl
What would you answer to this question? It's worth three marks.

According to the lyrics of a popular comedy song:

"The universe itself keeps on expanding and expanding in all of the directions it canwhizz. As fast as it can go, at the speed of light, you know, twelve million miles a minute,and that’s the fastest speed there is"

Use your knowledge of physics to comment on these lyrics.

Hey, we're not on that topic yet but it's to do with the expanding universe and the big bang and Hubble's law I can only presume.

Since we have not done that topic to my knowledge the only fastest speed there is, is the speed of light so you could mention that for a mark I guess but it's 3x10'8
but i have no idea not done this topic yet.
Reply 2
Hope I'm not too late with this, but you would have to comment on the expansion of the universe, the Big Bang and the evidence for them both (redshift, CMBR, dark matter), and mention the speed of light - see if the lyrics got the speed right.
That should be all that's needed for 3 marks
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1457647729.905281.jpg

I thought EMF is only when circuit is open? Here it is closed and only measuring battery voltage but the battery must have internal resistance so therefore it can't be measuring EMF?!

Why is the answer EMF though? - I checked answers. It says no current drawn from supply but how da f does that work out? Doesn't it have to be open circuit?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Help!! I'm finding the projectile and forces questions quite Ricky any help and advice. I'm studying physics just now and I'm going through my notes and rewriting key facts them doing past papers questions by topics then a full paper
Original post by Zrehman24
Help!! I'm finding the projectile and forces questions quite Ricky any help and advice. I'm studying physics just now and I'm going through my notes and rewriting key facts them doing past papers questions by topics then a full paper

For projectile motion always split them into two parts - horizontal and vertical components. The highest point on a projectile, final vertical velocity = 0 m/s. In most cases the horizontal distance can be found through s =vt (t is the same for both horizontal and vertical components). These are just some pointers and do ask more if you're struggling.
Reply 7
Where is everyone in the course???
Reply 8
My class finished the course about 2 weeks ago, and did our final assessment last week. Our researching physics and course assignments have also been finished and handed in (well mine has at least). We're now just doing exam revision and going over any theory again if needed.
Original post by PTS_99
My class finished the course about 2 weeks ago, and did our final assessment last week. Our researching physics and course assignments have also been finished and handed in (well mine has at least). We're now just doing exam revision and going over any theory again if needed.

How was the third unit nab? (Particles and waves)
Reply 10
We are finishing off electricity now
Reply 11
Original post by TheAPupil
How was the third unit nab? (Particles and waves)

Particles and waves was our second unit, and most of us failed. Although that was mostly down to poor preparation and timing - it was the day after our prelim. I'm out and about at the minute but when I get home I'll find the preparation stuff we got (it was very similar to our reassessment).

Edit: Not sure if I'll be able to put it up as it is SQA assessment materials so could someone clarify on that please :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by PTS_99
Particles and waves was our second unit, and most of us failed. Although that was mostly down to poor preparation and timing - it was the day after our prelim. I'm out and about at the minute but when I get home I'll find the preparation stuff we got (it was very similar to our reassessment).

Edit: Not sure if I'll be able to put it up as it is SQA assessment materials so could someone clarify on that please :smile:

Don't bother. it will have an effect on the integrity of the Nab's. Nothing to say you couldn't PM them though. :wink:
Reply 13
Original post by PTS_99

If you could, I would appreciate a copy too please? :smile:

As far as I am aware, it is ok as we have all sat it already.
Reply 14
Original post by JP298
Don't bother. it will have an effect on the integrity of the Nab's. Nothing to say you couldn't PM them though. :wink:

Original post by Jeff548
If you could, I would appreciate a copy too please? :smile:

As far as I am aware, it is ok as we have all sat it already.

I'll pm them when I get to them, I agree that putting them up might compromise their integrity.
Is it the particles and waves one your both looking for sorry?
Reply 15
Original post by PTS_99
I'll pm them when I get to them, I agree that putting them up might compromise their integrity.

Oh no, I'm doing Adv Higher physics this year. Just wanted to see how you were all getting on
Original post by PTS_99

Yeah and thanks a lot!
Reply 17
Well sorry guys but I have bad news. I can't find the particles and waves practice assessment anywhere, my teacher must have taken it in.

I do have the electricity practice if anybody wants to see it though.

I've still got my answers for it but little help without the questions eh?
Sorry again guys for getting your hopes up
Reply 18
Original post by JP298
Oh no, I'm doing Adv Higher physics this year. Just wanted to see how you were all getting on

Could you maybe tell me what AH is like? I've picked to do it next year but I don't really know what's it's like.
Reply 19
What is everyody doing their assingments on?

Im doing exoplanets but i'm really struggling to find a source :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending