The Student Room Group

Need some advice choosing my A-levels

Right so I'm on my last year of GCSE's and have started attending Post 16 opening evenings.

I have decided that I will be carrying on education in sixth form (preferably at the same school) and we are now starting to decide what 4 A-levels to choose. I don't really know what career I want to follow but I am currently considering medicine, teaching or something computer related seen as I enjoy working with others and helping people. My strongest subjects by far are Maths, Computer Science/ IT and Business. I have no idea what A-levels I should choose however I have managed to narrow the subjects down to Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Computer Science, Philosophy & Ethics, Maths and Further Maths. Can anyone that has taken these subjects or has considered taking them possibly give an opinion on which of these 7 subjects I should choose as my 4 A-levels based both on difficulty and the benefit in terms of applying for universities?

Also a subject leader suggested I did economics as he thinks I would do well in it and earn a fair amount of UCAS points, does anyone think this would be a good idea?

Any advice is greatly appreciated and thank you :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by m.dani
Right so I'm on my last year of GCSE's and have started attending Post 16 opening evenings.

I have decided that I will be carrying on education in sixth form (preferably at the same school) and we are now starting to decide what 4 A-levels to choose. I don't really no what career I want to follow but I am currently considering medicine, teaching or something computer related seen as I enjoy working with others and helping people. My strongest subjects by far are Maths, Computer Science/ IT and Business. I have no idea what A-levels I should choose however I have managed to narrow the subjects down to Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Computer Science, Philosophy & Ethics, Maths and Further Maths. Can anyone that has taken these subjects or has considered taking them possibly give an opinion on which of these 7 subjects I should choose as my 4 A-levels based both on difficulty and the benefit in terms of applying for universities?

Also a subject leader suggested I did economics as he thinks I would do well in it and earn a fair amount of UCAS points, does anyone think this would be a good idea?

For either medicine or computer science?

Maths, Further maths OR physics (this part will suit both CompSci and medicine), chemistry and bio.
If you want to do medicine, then Maths/Biology/Chemistry and either Physics or Further Maths as the last one. I know the BMAT has some physics questions though so maybe physics would be the most useful.

If you wanted to do computer science, then out of those you listed I'd say Maths/FMaths/Computer Science/Physics (has electricity topics which may help).

Do you have a preference because they're quite different career choices?
Reply 3
Original post by RonnieRJ
For either medicine or computer science?

Maths, Further maths OR physics (this part will suit both CompSci and medicine), chemistry and bio.

Have you done further maths? Is it worth doing?
Reply 4
Original post by JRKinder
If you want to do medicine, then Maths/Biology/Chemistry and either Physics or Further Maths as the last one. I know the BMAT has some physics questions though so maybe physics would be the most useful.

If you wanted to do computer science, then out of those you listed I'd say Maths/FMaths/Computer Science/Physics (has electricity topics which may help).

Do you have a preference because they're quite different career choices?

I'm not really that sure what degree I want to do at the moment. I have been looking a university requirements and it seems that a lot of courses don't actually require specific A-levels apart from medicine which requires Bio and another science i think.
Reply 5
Original post by m.dani

I'm self teaching this year, both AS and A2.
I think it'll be useful to you because it's maths you've never done. Plus by doing maths AND further maths you can do S1 and S2 which may be useful in medicine As well as D1 and D2 which will help with comp Sci

Keeps your options open tbh
Original post by m.dani

It is non stop banter
Reply 7
Original post by Lucasium
It is non stop banter

What are you on about? If you aren't hear to give me any advice please don't bother replying.
I think it'll be useful to you because it's maths you've never done. Plus by doing maths AND further maths you can do S1 and S2 which may be useful in medicine As well as D1 and D2 which will help with comp Sci

Where has your rep gone?
Reply 9
Original post by Lucasium
Where has your rep gone?

I hid it lol
if you want to go into medicine you need to take chemistry and most universities require biology as well so its worth taking these two.
Chemistry is vital for medicine, as is at least one other science.

Ideally, that would be bio, but physics is likely to be fine as well.

Just research each med school's entry requirements. Nobody here can explain every single medical school's policy on A level subjects.

As a side note, some medical schools just outright don't respect further maths while others will say that it can't be one of your 3 A2 subjects.

If I were you, I'd decide what I wanted to do as soon as possible. Med requires a good amount of WE/volunteering and ECs. If you want a strong med application, your best bet is to make an informed choice fairly early and completely commit to it.
(edited 8 years ago)

So you decided to do it then :smile:
Which modules are you writing?

Original post by m.dani

I have decided that I will be carrying on education in sixth form (preferably at the same school) and we are now starting to decide what 4 A-levels to choose. I don't really know what career I want to follow but I am currently considering medicine, teaching or something computer related seen as I enjoy working with others and helping people. My strongest subjects by far are Maths, Computer Science/ IT and Business. I have no idea what A-levels I should choose however I have managed to narrow the subjects down to Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Computer Science, Philosophy & Ethics, Maths and Further Maths. Can anyone that has taken these subjects or has considered taking them possibly give an opinion on which of these 7 subjects I should choose as my 4 A-levels based both on difficulty and the benefit in terms of applying for universities?

Chem, Physics, Math, FM sound good.

tbh though, math and further math aren't really like 2 separate a levels, in terms on content though.

physics with maths is a given.
Original post by Mihael_Keehl
So you decided to do it then :smile:
Which modules are you writing?

Chem, Physics, Math, FM sound good.

tbh though, math and further math aren't really like 2 separate a levels, in terms on content though.

physics with maths is a given.

Well I'm not sure if I'm sitting the exams yet, I'm covering content though, FP1-3, M1-2 and S2 if I do do the exams lol :biggrin:

Also if he takes physics instead of bio then he can't do medicine tho
Do maths, further maths, biology and chemistry - all very respectable a levels which keep all career doors open including medicine and it only feels like you are doing 3 because of further maths 😀

Posted from TSR Mobile
Maths, Chemistry, Biology, Physics or Further Maths.
Stick to the respected traditional subjects.
Original post by m.dani

Mathematics is a subject that you should definitely do and is required by all universities for computing and business. Physics will help with computing at a later stage and should be considered. In terms of medicine you must have chemistry and biology preferred. Biology is not needed as they teach you it all in first year whereas chemistry they expect you to know. If i was you i'd chose something like Business, Maths, Physics Chemistry. Those are a good rounded group of subjects which can potentially get you into medicine but of course that's not a guarantee. If you wanted to do Computing at university you would need to have maths and physics would be recommended, again computing or ICT is not needed as they teach you it all in first year computing. Chemistry is there in case you decide to give medicine a shot where by then you will have the requirements to apply and be considered.

Physics
Business
Maths
Chemistry

Those can be altered but personally it would be the best combination for your interests as to get to university you need a maximum of 2 A-levels that are required for a course.

For anymore help just ask :biggrin:
Reply 17
Original post by Konanabanana
Mathematics is a subject that you should definitely do and is required by all universities for computing and business. Physics will help with computing at a later stage and should be considered. In terms of medicine you must have chemistry and biology preferred. Biology is not needed as they teach you it all in first year whereas chemistry they expect you to know. If i was you i'd chose something like Business, Maths, Physics Chemistry. Those are a good rounded group of subjects which can potentially get you into medicine but of course that's not a guarantee. If you wanted to do Computing at university you would need to have maths and physics would be recommended, again computing or ICT is not needed as they teach you it all in first year computing. Chemistry is there in case you decide to give medicine a shot where by then you will have the requirements to apply and be considered.

Physics
Business
Maths
Chemistry

Those can be altered but personally it would be the best combination for your interests as to get to university you need a maximum of 2 A-levels that are required for a course.

For anymore help just ask :biggrin:

Not Business for CompSci or Medicine.

Stick with the 4 sciences: Maths, Physics, Biology, Chem. Note that CompSci at leading unis prefers applicants to also have Further Maths, so consider swapping that with (probably) Bio or Physics.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well I'm not sure if I'm sitting the exams yet, I'm covering content though, FP1-3, M1-2 and S2 if I do do the exams lol :biggrin:

Also if he takes physics instead of bio then he can't do medicine tho

ooh nice, I am doing S3,M3,D2 as well.

Maybe, depends on the uni.

Should probably do Chem, Bio,Maths, Phy then idk
I'd say Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry. If you're ok with ruling out medicine, I'd swap Chemistry for Economics.

Quick Reply

Latest