The Student Room Group
University of York
York

York University Law Interview?

Hey, has anyone else got an interview for Law at York on the 11th of February?
Reply 1
I had mine 17th of December, and got an offer 2 days later! If there's any advice I can give you, they may try and trick you into giving answers you don't want to give; so always make sure your answers ultimately reach the goal of a) explaining why PBL is good b) Teamwork c) Some background knowledge. Think through your answers providing BOTH sides of the argument coming to your own conclusion, and for the weird-ass question they love to throw in at the end say "wow that is a very good, unique question" and drink some of your drink. These 6 seconds, and 10 second (max) break you give will give you 16-20 seconds valuable time to come up with and structure an answer.

Be charismatic, crack a joke if you can (not forced, try to read the situation and interviewer, but if you're lucky like I was - they'll be lovely :smile:!) and just show that you're a nice person! Don't take yourself too seriously, I think smart-casual is better personally because it shows you want to be a LAW STUDENT. Not Harvey Spectre off of suits!

Best of luck! That's quite far away but start gathering questions, and look at the example ones they have online!
University of York
York
Reply 2
Original post by Kitta
I had mine 17th of December, and got an offer 2 days later! If there's any advice I can give you, they may try and trick you into giving answers you don't want to give; so always make sure your answers ultimately reach the goal of a) explaining why PBL is good b) Teamwork c) Some background knowledge. Think through your answers providing BOTH sides of the argument coming to your own conclusion, and for the weird-ass question they love to throw in at the end say "wow that is a very good, unique question" and drink some of your drink. These 6 seconds, and 10 second (max) break you give will give you 16-20 seconds valuable time to come up with and structure an answer.

Be charismatic, crack a joke if you can (not forced, try to read the situation and interviewer, but if you're lucky like I was - they'll be lovely :smile:!) and just show that you're a nice person! Don't take yourself too seriously, I think smart-casual is better personally because it shows you want to be a LAW STUDENT. Not Harvey Spectre off of suits!

Best of luck! That's quite far away but start gathering questions, and look at the example ones they have online!

Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate the help. I'm not sure I'll be cracking a joke, I fear the awkward silence that could follow haha. What sort of weird questions did they ask you? I'm guessing there was an informative afternoon on the same day, was that good?
Reply 3
Original post by fingolfin
Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate the help. I'm not sure I'll be cracking a joke, I fear the awkward silence that could follow haha. What sort of weird questions did they ask you? I'm guessing there was an informative afternoon on the same day, was that good?

The informative part depends on if you have an interview in the first part or second part, it's divided into 3 parts. For example, if you have an interview in the first period (unlucky) then your tour of the campus is on the second part. The third part is the talk by admissions tutor. The tour around the campus really depends on the guide, and personally for me my person was ok in showing us around with everything, but it was matter of fact and didn't sell the uni very well (I already loved York so it didnt bother me)

I'm not sure if I can say what my weird question was because it may be re-used etc. but mine included law but relating it to a COMPLETELY different context. It's just seeing how you act under pressure in different circumstances. As long as you establish a bit of laughter etc, you'll be so in the game and groove by then that whatever they throw at you will be easy :wink:!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending