The Student Room Group

Where to apply for Maths

Hi,

Does anyone know where I can apply for Maths that would accept me without a C in GCSE English?

I am predicted AAA, and also doing STEP but no university I am applying to will not accept me without a C in GCSE English and my school will not accept me to retake and predict me higher than an E for English :frown:
Anyone?
Original post by Probably Someone
Anyone?

Not to be rude, but I think people aren't replying because they cant think of anywhere :dontknow:

English GCSE is pretty vital, I would personally advise doing the exam at an external centre if you cant do it in school

Hi,

Does anyone know where I can apply for Maths that would accept me without a C in GCSE English?

I am predicted AAA, and also doing STEP but no university I am applying to will not accept me without a C in GCSE English and my school will not accept me to retake and predict me higher than an E for English :frown:

Also if this is true I would complain, it's really not any of the staffs place to reject you from resitting an exam, if you're willing to pay for it etc etc
Original post by DylanJ42
Not to be rude, but I think people aren't replying because they cant think of anywhere :dontknow:

English GCSE is pretty vital, I would personally advise doing the exam at an external centre if you cant do it in school

Also if this is true I would complain, it's really not any of the staffs place to reject you from resitting an exam, if you're willing to pay for it etc etc

Thank you for the reply.

My head of sixth form has been trying to help me by talking to them, but cannot do anything about it as there apparently is evidence for me not trying hard enough. I think its also because I struggle a lot at writing essay that contributes to this.

I had sent a private message to a user here, and they found a few who dont accept English, but thank you I think I will try the IELTS :tongue:
Thank you for the reply.

My head of sixth form has been trying to help me by talking to them, but cannot do anything about it as there apparently is evidence for me not trying hard enough. I think its also because I struggle a lot at writing essay that contributes to this.

I had sent a private message to a user here, and they found a few who dont accept English, but thank you I think I will try the IELTS :tongue:

That sucks a lot, I would honestly talk to your head of sixth form about submitting a report about the certain members of staff not letting you repeat, lack of effort in the past is no excuse for not letting a pupil repeat an exam, what you have said is sort of equivalent to some maths teacher saying, "Oh johnny here struggles with differentiation, he obviously isn't trying hard enough to understand it, so were not going to let him do the maths exam", it's just silly tbh

But anyway that's super good :biggrin: I didn't think any existed :laugh:
Reply 5
Not sure how they can accuse you of not trying hard enough if you're predicted AAA
Original post by DylanJ42
That sucks a lot, I would honestly talk to your head of sixth form about submitting a report about the certain members of staff not letting you repeat, lack of effort in the past is no excuse for not letting a pupil repeat an exam, what you have said is sort of equivalent to some maths teacher saying, "Oh johnny here struggles with differentiation, he obviously isn't trying hard enough to understand it, so were not going to let him do the maths exam", it's just silly tbh

But anyway that's super good :biggrin: I didn't think any existed :laugh:

Yeah Glasgow, Liverpool, Lancaster, Strathycyde don't seem to care at all for GCSEs.

I'll try ask my head of sixth form, but she warned me that the higher ups are really stubborn

Original post by apcpyo
Not sure how they can accuse you of not trying hard enough if you're predicted AAA

Me neither. I don't have any lessons either and they were extremely unsuportive with me during the past 2yrs :s
Reply 7
Hi,

I would ask @morgan8002
If I remember well he had similar issues with English

Good luck
Perhaps you could sit it regardless of prediction, then apply next year while aiming for A* in Maths/FM if you don't achieve that this year?
Hi,

I took GCSE/IGCSE English once in years 10-11, once in year 12 and twice in year 13.
I don't think the GCSE predictions matter at all. As far as I'm aware, I didn't have a predicted IGCSE English grade on UCAS.
If your school won't let you retake, you can take it privately with another. It seems to be primarily luck based so you should make several entries with different boards if possible. I'd also recommend CIE, because their IGCSE results day is the same as A-level results day so you've got some time to take extra tests if necessary(You should probably check this as I'm not sure if it's the same every year).
Unfortunately GCSEs or equivalents are usually the only solid requirements. Many people miss their A-level/STEP offers and still get in.

Yeah Glasgow, Liverpool, Lancaster, Strathycyde don't seem to care at all for GCSEs.

I'll try ask my head of sixth form, but she warned me that the higher ups are really stubborn

Me neither. I don't have any lessons either and they were extremely unsuportive with me during the past 2yrs :s

I wouldn't be fully confident about whether the unis you've listed in your other post would accept you without a C in GCSE English. When I was looking for a course, I was unable to find any that would for anything maths-related. Looking at it now, the Glasgow one looks promising, but I'd email them to be sure.
I took IELTS and PTE academic and found them much easier than the GCSE. On my first time around I got a high enough grade for both unis for PTE and high enough for my firm for IELTS, but not my insurance(I think it was that way around anyway). If you decide to take one of these tests, you should contact the unis beforehand to check exactly what you need. It turned out that my firm didn't accept my PTE even though it was much higher than their website said I needed(I got close to 100% and needed about 75%). In the end I miraculously got a high enough grade in my last two IGCSEs and I'm still not sure whether they'd have accepted my IELTS.

I had lessons except in years 7 and 11, but they were just a waste of time. I didn't learn anything in them past year 6. I had a tutor for most of year 11 and I found that helpful, but more for the controlled assessments than the exams.

Quick Reply

Latest