The Student Room Group

Considering dropping English A-Level

It's terrible. I mean I always had a knack for creative writing but ever since A-Levels came, I'm constantly getting the lowest scores in my class and even the class isn't that special. There's hardly anyone I can relate to in order to make the lessons a bit more bearable. I don't want to stick with it for another 2 YEARS. However, the problem is that I am doing 3 A-levels (Biology, Chemistry and English lit) and I want to study Medicine at Uni so I cannot afford to only get 2 A-Levels.

Any advice?
Reply 1
If you play on taking medicine. I would recommend you keep it. I know you hate it but you will have to endure it for another year. If you had taken 4 subjects you could've dropped it ;(
Reply 2
I wouldn't worry too much! I can relate to how irritating it is getting lower grades than you know you're capable of achieving. At the start of the year, I was getting D's, but I turned that around and how I did it is actually quite simple. My biggest advice would be to learn the key terminology, that will allow you to cover (A01). I'm assuming you have different A0's for specific requirements that need to be met when writing your essays in order to obtain as many marks as possible. Knowing the terminology will allow you to expand on points- which links to (A02), I think. You just need to be concise and relevant with the points you're making to ensure you're not wasting time on pointless info. Sorry, if this is a bity long-winded, but hope it helps!
Reply 3
Original post by Hassanh
I wouldn't worry too much! I can relate to how irritating it is getting lower grades than you know you're capable of achieving. At the start of the year, I was getting D's, but I turned that around and how I did it is actually quite simple. My biggest advice would be to learn the key terminology, that will allow you to cover (A01). I'm assuming you have different A0's for specific requirements that need to be met when writing your essays in order to obtain as many marks as possible. Knowing the terminology will allow you to expand on points- which links to (A02), I think. You just need to be concise and relevant with the points you're making to ensure you're not wasting time on pointless info. Sorry, if this is a bity long-winded, but hope it helps!

It did help! Thanks
English Lit is a subject you need to grow with. Even the A* scholars at GCSE will end up getting Cs and Ds at the beginning of the A-Level term. If you want an example - I scored a C for my first Lit test at A-Level, but scored 97% for the AS. Definitely don't drop it, most medics will have 3 or 4 A-Levels, so having two would dreadfully disadvantage you. Good luck x
I study English Lit at uni, maybe I can help you? What texts are you studying?

You'll be studying coursework in May/June so you'll have some choice of either your text choices/pairings or chose your own topic/question which maybe allow you to enjoy it more.

You might be able to do creative writing in one of them. But I think with the new specs, they've removed the recreative writing task cause hardly any centres (schools) chose it as a coursework alternative.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending