The Quad, Middlesex University
Middlesex University
London

Nursing-Course Ambassador Q&A

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Bhavika437
Hi Nuradin

I have a few questions to ask regarding student finance, accommodation and the course I have applied for.

I have received an offer from Middlesex University to study Adult Nursing this September 2016, so I am in the process of deciding which University's to go for.

I just wanted to know what sort of finance am I able to apply for which will support me throughout the three years. As researched I am aware that this Univerisity enables students receive a £1,000 grant with an additional means tested bursary, so I just wanted to know how do I go about that?

Also I will be moving out from home so therefore I am considering an accommodation through the University and I was wondering whether I am able to apply for the accommodation in the new Unite Olympic way and whether this is ideal for a student nurse. And in terms of expense is this ideal too? I also wanted to know how far this is to from the Hendon campus (as this is where I am based).

In terms of the course I have applied for, I just wanted to know where about would the placements be based and would it be far from where I would live? Also I wanted to know whether this University offer placements to study abroad for students studying adult nursing?

Hope to hear from you soon!

With kind regards

Bhavika437

Hi Bhavika437,

Accommodation:If student nurses (and midwives) request University accommodation in their first year they are normally placed in Ivy Halls.
This is mainly because they have a 45 week year.Further information about financial support is available from the NHS bursary site. It is best for students to make their own enquiries as each case is different. Here is the linkhttp://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/Students/3941.aspx
Nuradin
Nursing Course Ambassador
Middlesex University
The Quad, Middlesex University
Middlesex University
London
Reply 41
Original post by Bhavika437
Hi Nuradin

I have a few questions to ask regarding student finance, accommodation and the course I have applied for.

I have received an offer from Middlesex University to study Adult Nursing this September 2016, so I am in the process of deciding which University's to go for.

I just wanted to know what sort of finance am I able to apply for which will support me throughout the three years. As researched I am aware that this Univerisity enables students receive a £1,000 grant with an additional means tested bursary, so I just wanted to know how do I go about that?

Also I will be moving out from home so therefore I am considering an accommodation through the University and I was wondering whether I am able to apply for the accommodation in the new Unite Olympic way and whether this is ideal for a student nurse. And in terms of expense is this ideal too? I also wanted to know how far this is to from the Hendon campus (as this is where I am based).

In terms of the course I have applied for, I just wanted to know where about would the placements be based and would it be far from where I would live? Also I wanted to know whether this University offer placements to study abroad for students studying adult nursing?

Hope to hear from you soon!

With kind regards

Bhavika437

Hi Bhavika437,

Sorry for the delay, I have been sent more information re placement abroad:
this message is from placement coordinator abroad at Middlesex University Dr Sheila:

'I have been asked to answer your question about placements abroad since I am the Erasmus coordinator for H&E (Nursing). They can elect to undertake an Erasmus placement for their first placement of year 3. The partners (9) we currently work with are: University of Coimbra (College of Nursing) (Portugal)University of Alicante (Spain)University College Limberg-Leuven (Belgium)Satakunta College of Applied Sciences (Pori, Finland)Metropolia University of Applied Sciences (Helsinki, Finland)Swedish Red Cross University College (Stockholm, Sweden)University College Lillebaelt (Odense, Denmark)University of Malta (Malta) All are Ok with English speaking students but knowledge of some language is a benefit. Some options for Child field students Adult is much better catered for. We are unable to offer Mental Health students exchange opportunities unless they possess a language. For Italian speakers only we have University of Florence (Italy). There may be other partners in the future however. Choice is given but those on BSc European Nursing take priority on some countries and of course many only take 2 students so an application process is undertaken to select students for their first and second choice countries. Hope this helps '

Nuradin
Middlesex University
Reply 42
Original post by Megastar123
Thank you very for much for ur response

Hi Megastar123,

Hope you are well,
Have you got my message? if not, please tell me your email and i will send a reply.

Regards,
Nuradin
Nursing Course Ambassador Middlesex University
Reply 43
Weekly update as student nurse atMiddlesex University. This week has been an interesting andcelebrating one, because I finished my placement with excellent note, also, Iwas invited an interview as a band 5 staff nurse. Firstly, end of placement. Worked forfour days at placement and Thursday was my last day. I was given presents fromthe team, and I did the same. This placement has been an excellent placementand very flexible one. As, a family man with a part-time job, I needed thatflexibility. My mentor was excellent as she had allowed me to work with othernurses, also, I was given opportunity to work three to four days a week. I learnt psychotropic medicationmanagement for those patients who live in their own homes. I was able to givedepot injections. To do this, I needed to have time management skills and to beable to prioritise tasks. In addition, I learnt team work skills, as in orderto manage medications efficiently, I needed to be able to work with medical teamand also the nursing staff. Furthermore, through this placement, I was able todevelop leadership and decision making skills.For example, I was able to leadplanning meetings. These meetings are essential for daily work planning. I havebeen attending these daily meetings for the last 8 weeks every day. By the lastweek, I was an established member of the team and I was able to make decisionwith consultations with mentor and the team manager. In the community, it iscrucial that the nurses are able to make quick decisions and manage risks forthose patients with mental health illness. This placement has given me anopportunity to manage risks for those patients living in their own homes. Asnurses, we work with patients who are hearing voices that might be telling themto hurt them self or others. Therefore, risk management is a skill that isrequired and at the same time nurses are expected to respect patient’sindependent and that they must approach patients by encouraging them to maketheir own decisions. Secondly, happy news is that I wasinvited for an interview for a registered nurse position I applied. The NHSTrust that I applied this position is doing well compared to others in thecountry. Although, I am not qualified as nurse till September 2016, but Trustsprefer to do all the interviews in advance and if you are successful, they willoffer you a job and you can start work as a bank 3 assistant nurses, and onceyou get your NMC pin, they will pay you back as band 5. Nuradin
Middlesex University
Hi Nuradin

Thank you so much for your response!

However I just wanted to ask another question which is that if I did choose the Unite Olympic way or another accommodation other then the Ivy hall then would I still be accepted into that accommodation. As well as would I be able to change my accommodation once I have visited the applicant day?

Once again thank you and I am really sorry for the late response!

With kind regards

Bhavika437

Original post by Nur at MDX
Hi Bhavika437,

Accommodation:If student nurses (and midwives) request University accommodation in their first year they are normally placed in Ivy Halls.
This is mainly because they have a 45 week year.Further information about financial support is available from the NHS bursary site. It is best for students to make their own enquiries as each case is different. Here is the linkhttp://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/Students/3941.aspx
Nuradin
Middlesex University
Hi There

Thank you once again!

So are there limited spaces for students to experience these placements abroad? And how long are these placements?

Also what essential things are needed for a student nurse (from your experience) prior to starting in terms of any books to read or to spend on before starting the course?

I am so sorry for asking you so many questions

With kind regards

Bhavika437

Hi Bhavika437,

Sorry for the delay, I have been sent more information re placement abroad:
this message is from placement coordinator abroad at Middlesex University Dr Sheila:

'I have been asked to answer your question about placements abroad since I am the Erasmus coordinator for H&E (Nursing). They can elect to undertake an Erasmus placement for their first placement of year 3. The partners (9) we currently work with are: University of Coimbra (College of Nursing) (Portugal)University of Alicante (Spain)University College Limberg-Leuven (Belgium)Satakunta College of Applied Sciences (Pori, Finland)Metropolia University of Applied Sciences (Helsinki, Finland)Swedish Red Cross University College (Stockholm, Sweden)University College Lillebaelt (Odense, Denmark)University of Malta (Malta) All are Ok with English speaking students but knowledge of some language is a benefit. Some options for Child field students Adult is much better catered for. We are unable to offer Mental Health students exchange opportunities unless they possess a language. For Italian speakers only we have University of Florence (Italy). There may be other partners in the future however. Choice is given but those on BSc European Nursing take priority on some countries and of course many only take 2 students so an application process is undertaken to select students for their first and second choice countries. Hope this helps '

Nuradin
Middlesex University
Reply 46
Hi
Thanks for your questions.
I sent an email to Head of Recruitment regarding accommodation questions, once I receive a reply, I will post it on student room.
Also, regarding abroad placements, I will be sending email to placement coordinator abroad.

Before, starting university, I will suggest that you attend open day on the June 11. Also, I recommend that you do health care assistant bank shifts as these will be valuable experience during your study years.
University will give you online free book for each module you register, so please do not buy too many books before your actually start the course.
Also, you can borrow books from the Middlesex University, and the NHS libraries. You can also register with NHS Athens account which will give you all you need, and up to date evidence based research papers and online book. All the hospitals that you will be doing your placement have a library and you are allowed to borrow from them as well. You can become a member for RCN which gives access to their library, which is in central London and you can borrow up to 8 books!
Optionally, you can subscribe with nursing journals such as Nursing Times and Nursing Standard.

That all I can think for now!
Hope this helps.
Nuradin
Middlesex University

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 47
Hey! Ive been offered a place for Adult Nursing in September 2016 and was wondering if you could tell me what date the course actually starts?
Original post by Lmimi
Hey! Ive been offered a place for Adult Nursing in September 2016 and was wondering if you could tell me what date the course actually starts?

Awww great I'm also holding an offer. Great to meet someone before September. Have u got conditions on your offer.
Yay that's great!! Hope to meet you all in September 2016 😀
Thank you!!!

Hi
Thanks for your questions.
I sent an email to Head of Recruitment regarding accommodation questions, once I receive a reply, I will post it on student room.
Also, regarding abroad placements, I will be sending email to placement coordinator abroad.

Before, starting university, I will suggest that you attend open day on the June 11. Also, I recommend that you do health care assistant bank shifts as these will be valuable experience during your study years.
University will give you online free book for each module you register, so please do not buy too many books before your actually start the course.
Also, you can borrow books from the Middlesex University, and the NHS libraries. You can also register with NHS Athens account which will give you all you need, and up to date evidence based research papers and online book. All the hospitals that you will be doing your placement have a library and you are allowed to borrow from them as well. You can become a member for RCN which gives access to their library, which is in central London and you can borrow up to 8 books!
Optionally, you can subscribe with nursing journals such as Nursing Times and Nursing Standard.

That all I can think for now!
Hope this helps.
Nuradin
Middlesex University

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 51
Hi Nuradin, could I please have a list of hospitals where student for adult nursing do their placements at Middlesex University
Thanks
I've gotten a conditional offer to study adult nursing in Middlesex with the condition that I get 280 ucas tariff points which I don't have. What do I do then?
Heyy

Congrats for getting your conditional offer!!

Are you in college or studying any a-levels as this will enable you to get the UCAS points (280) you may need.

Check out this website: https://www.oxford-royale.co.uk/articles/10-ways-more-ucas-points.html

Hope this helps :smile:

Original post by Chizerem Asoegwu
I've gotten a conditional offer to study adult nursing in Middlesex with the condition that I get 280 ucas tariff points which I don't have. What do I do then?
Reply 54
Original post by Olub
Hi Nuradin, could I please have a list of hospitals where student for adult nursing do their placements at Middlesex University
Thanks

Hi Olub,

I answered this question in one of the earlier threads.

Regards!
Nuradin
Middlesex University
Reply 55
Original post by Chizerem Asoegwu

Hi Chizerem,

I think you will need to meet the conditions for your conditional offer.

Regards!
Nuradin
Middlesex Nursing Course Ambassador
Reply 56
Original post by Lmimi

Hi Lmimi,

I will let you know once I know the official starting date for this year, as it is normally the second week of September.

Regards
Nuradin
Middlesex Nursing Course Ambassador
Reply 57
This week has been verysettled week and fruitful one, because I was able to focus on my course workand it was a university week and I we had a good bye event as we have next weekholiday. Unfortunately, most of the university students were off this week,however, as my course is accelerated course I do not have that much of aholiday. My course is supposed to be three years course; however, it has beencondensed into two years.This week, I mainly focusedon my essay and the oral examination. We had a lecture session on Wednesday andthis session was about Cognitive Behavioural Therapy. I thoroughly enjoyed thislecturer because it was relevant to my essay assignment, as I have chosen CBTas the technique that I will be using in terms of enhanced communicationskills, and the best intervention with service users with diagnosis ofschizophrenia and other mental health diagnosis. This intervention was new tome and the lecturer was a professional lecturer had a background of nursing andthat she moved into counselling and psychological intervention who had workedwith people with mental diagnosis. For the first three hours it was about aslistening to lecturer and then we had to practice for the last hour and usingthe techniques and asking questions about how we can resolve the problems thatsome of our service users present to us. The CBT was all about changing someoneperception of life and interpretation and this happens all the time with theservice users I work with in mental health nursing settings. We try to explorepeople about the thoughts and how these thoughts are affecting them in terms oftheir feelings and emotional reactions and we look the behaviours that theymight be presenting in consequence to this. It is all about educating serviceusers about their current presentations and all we do is to help these serviceusers learnt about their thoughts. All during this day, we metour team this week as weekly tasks as we have a new project that we will needto video typing and representing the School of Health and Education. I had a meetingwith co-course ambassador (Midwifery) and we did brain-storming, about how weshould and we had a brilliant ideas and brain-storming. We were also able tosend email to relevant people and request facilities access. On Thursday, was also a dayassessment as we had maternal mental health nursing session in the morning andin the afternoon I had a practice session with our oral examination. This wasan opportunity for me to practice for video recording skills. And I was able toask my lecture as she is currently working with the School of Health and Educationwhether she could give us a couple of words about the Research Centre forTranscultural Nursing in Europe. Although, she had not agreed to it but shesaid that she will look into it and will inform me the outcome. As I was ableto film my classmates doing the OSCE practice and this will presentations ofwhat is it like to be working in that environment.I had thoroughly enjoyedthis session, as it was about case studies and that we were able to look intothis case studies and did our presentations and the essential skills that wererequired as nurse was that we were able to be safe clinical practitioners andat the same time that we were compassionate in our care. The rest of weekend wasabout time to have a holiday and do some bank shifts, and course work. NuradinMiddlesex University Course Ambassador
Reply 58
Original post by Lmimi

Hi Lmimi

The September 2016 start date is Monday 12th September.

Regards!
Nuradin
Nursing Middlesex Course Ambassador
Hi Lmimi

The September 2016 start date is Monday 12th September.

Regards!
Nuradin
Nursing Middlesex Course Ambassador

Hi Nuradin I just wanted to know. What happens if u don't meet your offer conditions.

Quick Reply