The Student Room Group

Need urgent help

I have an Edexcel Unit 1 Chemistry Exam ( A-S Level) in a few days, and I haven't started much. I have been revising for my other subjects and didn't have time for chemistry. I am struggling a little with it because, even though the questions are basic and follow a specific pattern, I am freaking out and being stressed about it.... I am not even sure where to start, so if any of you beautiful people have any ideas, tips, good websites or revision notes and is willing to help, that will be wonderful! Thank you in advance.
Original post by LaylaM99
I have an Edexcel Unit 1 Chemistry Exam ( A-S Level) in a few days, and I haven't started much. I have been revising for my other subjects and didn't have time for chemistry. I am struggling a little with it because, even though the questions are basic and follow a specific pattern, I am freaking out and being stressed about it.... I am not even sure where to start, so if any of you beautiful people have any ideas, tips, good websites or revision notes and is willing to help, that will be wonderful! Thank you in advance.

Hey. First things first, don't stress or fret about it, it won't achieve anything!

In terms of prep, I really liked and found the CGP chemistry book golden - it covers everything on the spec - if you know that inside out then you'll be fine. And the second piece of advice I'd give is doing LOADS of past paper questions, for every topic, do questions on it. Try not waste past papers though, go through the content and then do the questions, not the other way round it that makes sense.

And finally good luck - I'm sure you'll smash it!

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
Reply 2
Original post by ultimatesword
Hey. First things first, don't stress or fret about it, it won't achieve anything!

In terms of prep, I really liked and found the CGP chemistry book golden - it covers everything on the spec - if you know that inside out then you'll be fine. And the second piece of advice I'd give is doing LOADS of past paper questions, for every topic, do questions on it. Try not waste past papers though, go through the content and then do the questions, not the other way round it that makes sense.

And finally good luck - I'm sure you'll smash it!

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Thank you so much! I appreciate the help :smile:
As said before, stressing over things will not help, so try to relax and take a deep breath !

My brother is sitting higher chemistry this year (scottish A level equivalent) so I know how you feel. My brother obviously has topics that he is better at over others so i told him to take out as many past papers as possible and just see how many questions you can answer. it doesnt have to be under timed conditions and you dont have to write the answers down. The purpose of the exercise is to make 3 lists: a green, amber and red one.

On these 3 lists, start to write down topics or areas of the course where you are confident, not so confident and completely stuck. It doesnt matter if you have lots on the red list and hardly on the green. These lists will help you prioritise what areas of the course you have to look over in more detail with the limited amount of days you have left.

I told my brother to do this last week, and from these lists he was able to make a quick timetable where he gave certain hours of the day to particularly tricky areas of the course for him.

With regards to the actual note taking. I tend to find that for chemistry, i liked flash cards and spider diagrams. I also love to highlight key words and use different coloured pens as i was able to remember things more if they popped out from the paper.

Obviously these techniques might not work for everyone so if you dont like the sound of them then you dont have to use them. Good luck for your exams !!!! :smile::smile::smile:
Reply 4
Original post by evalilyXOX
As said before, stressing over things will not help, so try to relax and take a deep breath !

My brother is sitting higher chemistry this year (scottish A level equivalent) so I know how you feel. My brother obviously has topics that he is better at over others so i told him to take out as many past papers as possible and just see how many questions you can answer. it doesnt have to be under timed conditions and you dont have to write the answers down. The purpose of the exercise is to make 3 lists: a green, amber and red one.

On these 3 lists, start to write down topics or areas of the course where you are confident, not so confident and completely stuck. It doesnt matter if you have lots on the red list and hardly on the green. These lists will help you prioritise what areas of the course you have to look over in more detail with the limited amount of days you have left.

I told my brother to do this last week, and from these lists he was able to make a quick timetable where he gave certain hours of the day to particularly tricky areas of the course for him.

With regards to the actual note taking. I tend to find that for chemistry, i liked flash cards and spider diagrams. I also love to highlight key words and use different coloured pens as i was able to remember things more if they popped out from the paper.

Obviously these techniques might not work for everyone so if you dont like the sound of them then you dont have to use them. Good luck for your exams !!!! :smile::smile::smile:

That was great, thank you very much! I did try doing a past paper in timed conditions and without any revision whatsoever, and after I marked myself I got 53%. it might not seem so good but that is without revision so I'm hoping that if I do get some studying done I might be able to score higher... I do like your advice, and I hope your brother does well too!
Original post by LaylaM99
That was great, thank you very much! I did try doing a past paper in timed conditions and without any revision whatsoever, and after I marked myself I got 53%. it might not seem so good but that is without revision so I'm hoping that if I do get some studying done I might be able to score higher... I do like your advice, and I hope your brother does well too!

53% is really good for no revision ! Well Done ! :smile:

Just keep pushing through and you will get there. I always hate exams but once they are over it will all be worth it !
Reply 6
Original post by evalilyXOX
53% is really good for no revision ! Well Done ! :smile:

Just keep pushing through and you will get there. I always hate exams but once they are over it will all be worth it !

Ahh !! Thank youuu! I'm really hoping so :suith::suith:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending