The Student Room Group

Back to original course after illness?

Erm, not sure if this is the right place, but I was wondering if anyone could help.
I was at Cambridge in 2013/2014, first year in Natural Sciences, but I dropped out in April due to being quite serverely ill with anorexia. I started a new course that I chose while still ill, closer to home, but since improving my health I have realised that this was a mistake and that I should have continued studying science, as this is what I have always wanted to do. I am now halfway through second year, and my question is whether it seems likely that any university might take me on straight to second year in Physics (due to having done Cambridge first.year) ,as I cannoy afford to go back to first year due SFE issues. And whether it is even worth asking Cambridge if they would consider taking me back on my old course or not, since I didn't intermit, but withdrew, but only because I was very mentally unwell? If this sounds muddled a bit, I am quite tired atm, had no sleep last night, and have flu, so sorry in advance :smile:
Original post by Luna3107
Erm, not sure if this is the right place, but I was wondering if anyone could help.
I was at Cambridge in 2013/2014, first year in Natural Sciences, but I dropped out in April due to being quite serverely ill with anorexia. I started a new course that I chose while still ill, closer to home, but since improving my health I have realised that this was a mistake and that I should have continued studying science, as this is what I have always wanted to do. I am now halfway through second year, and my question is whether it seems likely that any university might take me on straight to second year in Physics (due to having done Cambridge first.year) ,as I cannoy afford to go back to first year due SFE issues. And whether it is even worth asking Cambridge if they would consider taking me back on my old course or not, since I didn't intermit, but withdrew, but only because I was very mentally unwell? If this sounds muddled a bit, I am quite tired atm, had no sleep last night, and have flu, so sorry in advance :smile:

I m afraid I believe Oxbridge won't accept 2nd year entry at all. However I m sure you could contact other universities to see if they do. You could see if sfe would give you compelling personal reasons to get a year of funding back?
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
I m afraid I believe Oxbridge won't accept 2nd year entry at all. However I m sure you could contact other universities to see if they do. You could see if sfe would give you compelling personal reasons to get a year of funding back?

Yes, I am attempting to get the funding back, but even with that, I would only get funding for second year onwards, not first year, as I used two years as well as the Cambridge one, since I am in second year on a new course now. I didn't think they did in normal circumstances, but was wondering if they might accept it due to having done first year already and having to leave?
Original post by Luna3107
Yes, I am attempting to get the funding back, but even with that, I would only get funding for second year onwards, not first year, as I used two years as well as the Cambridge one, since I am in second year on a new course now. I didn't think they did in normal circumstances, but was wondering if they might accept it due to having done first year already and having to leave?

Oh I see, sorry I got a little muddled there. I don't think they would regardless of the circumstances, you can always call admissions but since you didn't intermit,I m not hopeful they would.

Quick Reply

Latest