The Student Room Group

Best way to get sound information on accommodation

Does anyone have any magic strategy for getting reasonably sound information about accommodation?

1) Universities often seem to have a very random way of allocating first year accommodation, which makes comparative budgetting challenging (never mind whether my child can afford to eat, *I'd* like to eat)... and of course all bets are off if you end up with your insurance place or clearing.

2) Working out private sector housing costs

Google ain't doing it for me at the moment. Don't want to discourage son from one place in favour of another on mythical grounds.
Go and visit. Unis also usually have virtual tours of accommodation on their websites. There will also be info on budgeting. I think you can put down preferences for accommodation.

For private sector, use a map and google to work out where are good places to live then have a look on rightmove or similar for rent prices. For some places bills will be included but typically, water is about £30 (or less), gas and electric about £100 (or less). Students don't pay council tax. Shop around for internet deals to get an idea of what they cost. Then you have food (I'd allow about £50/week but this is what we as a couple spend) and travel which is city and area dependent.
Original post by dirtmother
Does anyone have any magic strategy for getting reasonably sound information about accommodation?

1) Universities often seem to have a very random way of allocating first year accommodation, which makes comparative budgetting challenging (never mind whether my child can afford to eat, *I'd* like to eat)... and of course all bets are off if you end up with your insurance place or clearing.

2) Working out private sector housing costs

Google ain't doing it for me at the moment. Don't want to discourage son from one place in favour of another on mythical grounds.

Have you looked at the comparatives on the Unistats website? I know the ranges are quite broad, and haven't checked how accurate they are.

Some universities cannot meet all the accommodation needs of staff and students, and so work in partnership with local landlords. For instance, have a look at the Warwick scheme here:

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/services/accommodation/landlords/fully/

The way these work, I should imagine that the relevant accommodation office would be able give you fairly reliable information on the housing cost of these types of schemes.
Reply 3
Do some Google research, ask others on tsr their views on accommodation. Check online reviews etc. Look at the university websites.

What uni is it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
My son ruled out going to any uni where they couldn't guarantee accommodation for all first years (lots of them now can,having heavily invested in new accommodation in recent years ) the last thing that was needed was trying to find a house share when we lived over 300 miles from the uni - plus he preferred to be in a building with security - best bit of advice is (regarding halls ) if you can't visit the uni look on the website for the virtual tour - then go over to youtube - search for that accommodation as there are usually videos made by students giving you a tour of their room - this was great for us as my son thought he had found the accommodation he wanted - and the girl filming in her room said "hang on a minute - I have to stop talking as a train is coming" - went over to the window with her phone and showed us a train track 100 yards away -and said "you get used to it" - needless to say he was really glad we found that out and started the search again.
You can do all the research you want but the Uni will still allocate a room which is not necessarily your first choice.

Dont go for ensuite. You are paying for an unnecessary luxury
Go self catering. Much cheaper and you can eat when you want to, not stuck to their times
Apply for halls closest to Uni. Makes a huge difference that extra time in bed
Reply 6
"My son ruled out going to any uni where they couldn't guarantee accommodation for all first years (lots of them now can,having heavily invested in new accommodation in recent years )"

I have yet to come across a university with such a guarantee. Many that *look* as though they do but are actually only for those who have made the university their Firm choice. Quite a few that have the 'guarantee' but when you really go rummaging for information you find that some students do not have accommodation and all sorts of unsatisfactory arrangements have to be made. I assume these are students coming to their Insurance choice or via Clearing.
Reply 7
Original post by hedgemonkey
You can do all the research you want but the Uni will still allocate a room which is not necessarily your first choice.

Dont go for ensuite. You are paying for an unnecessary luxury
Go self catering. Much cheaper and you can eat when you want to, not stuck to their times
Apply for halls closest to Uni. Makes a huge difference that extra time in bed

My impression (across a fair number of institutions) is that accommodation close to the university is likely to be en suite and more expensive.

When I posted my question I was thinking a little longer term than only first year. It seems to be very hard to find out about how much students pay for house shares in subsequent years and to work out whether there are 'not so trendy so cheaper but still decent and plenty of students' areas or whether some of the affordable prices you are looking at on eg letting agency websites would leave your offspring isolated. We have pinned down a number of students at offer holder days and asked intrusive questions but that's still quite a small sample.

You make a very good point hedgemonkey about the way in which rooms are allocated.
Original post by dirtmother
My impression (across a fair number of institutions) is that accommodation close to the university is likely to be en suite and more expensive.

When I posted my question I was thinking a little longer term than only first year. It seems to be very hard to find out about how much students pay for house shares in subsequent years and to work out whether there are 'not so trendy so cheaper but still decent and plenty of students' areas or whether some of the affordable prices you are looking at on eg letting agency websites would leave your offspring isolated. We have pinned down a number of students at offer holder days and asked intrusive questions but that's still quite a small sample.

You make a very good point hedgemonkey about the way in which rooms are allocated.

In 2nd and third years you can still apply for uni accommodation. If you apply early enough you may get lucky. But DS or DD may want to move in with friends in private rental.

The trick with private is for the students to book by jan. Not easily done because to get commitment from 4-5 people's not easy. But costs depends on how good the house is. Parents will have very little say in this. You just have to grin and pay up.
Original post by hedgemonkey
In 2nd and third years you can still apply for uni accommodation. If you apply early enough you may get lucky. But DS or DD may want to move in with friends in private rental.

The trick with private is for the students to book by jan. Not easily done because to get commitment from 4-5 people's not easy. But costs depends on how good the house is. Parents will have very little say in this. You just have to grin and pay up.

Yes, I've wondered about that. Little Jonny Fresher arrives friendless in early October and he's advised that by Christmas he's got to bond with 4-8 people enough to live with them and hope they can pay their share of the bills.
Reply 10
Quite a lot of students bond for life by the end of the first week (of course whether it lasts till January is another matter...)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending