The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Sexism and racism are nothing compared to what ugly people face

Scroll to see replies

Original post by theperformer
Hate and disdain from society; far less likely to be accepted into social groups and associated with negative qualities. That's to name a few.

It's time we stop pretending good looking/average people face problems. Racism and sexism are only serious issues when the victims are ugly.

fair enough. How do you propose we tackle this?
More coverage of ugly people on television? Ugly models?
Reply 21
Hate and disdain from society; far less likely to be accepted into social groups and associated with negative qualities. That's to name a few.

It's time we stop pretending good looking/average people face problems. Racism and sexism are only serious issues when the victims are ugly.

So only ugly women are raped and are at risk of sexual violence? Only ugly black people are subject to police brutality? Only ugly non-white women are subject to unfair Eurocentric beauty standards?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 22
I'm guessing that you're an ugly below average white man who can't get a girlfriend and that this is your only way of venting out your frustration that the white patriarchy isn't benefiting you for once...
(edited 8 years ago)
You are living in denial. Ugly can easily be objective; someone who is acne-ridden, anorexic and balding will definitely be ugly. Or on the other end of the spectrum, fat, long hair and bad teeth = ugly. It's not subjective.

:laugh: how can someone be so wrong
as an ugly person i can confirm
Original post by picklescamp
fair enough. How do you propose we tackle this?
More coverage of ugly people on television? Ugly models?

We might get a lot more television worth watching if the draw of simply having attractive actors had to be replaced with having actually good writing!
Fact. The discrimination that ugly people face is far, far worse than racism or sexism.

If you are average or good looking (most people); then you have social acceptance. Being average/good looking means that you will have social acceptance, whereas ugly people are always given the short end of the stick.

It makes me sick when people think that average/good looking people have problems. This is why I don't take Feminism seriously; the only women who face problems in society are the ugly ones. Their problems are very, very minor in contrast to the discrimination that ugly people face.

A rich ugly person will be more discriminated against than a poorer good looking person.

I don't agree that the discrimination is at all similar or comparable, but the fact that some posters are in such fantastic denial over this is definitely part of the problem you highlight.
Original post by Treeroy
how can you even define someone as ugly? beauty is subjective, gender and race and sexuality etc are not.

Attractiveness might be subjective, but the amount of people that find someone attractive is not.
Original post by Treeroy
OP, you haven't actually said what your problems are you're just baiting us. What discrimination issues do ugly people face?

There are several examples of how attractive people do better in society, and unattractive people do worse.

Original post by hau28
I'm guessing that you're an ugly below average white man who can't get a girlfriend and that this is your only way of venting out your frustration that the white patriarchy isn't benefiting you for once...

It's interesting you seem to consider that the validity of someones point is dependent on whether they can find a girlfriend or not. You're like those people declaring all feminists are fat and ugly.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by JuliusDS92
We might get a lot more television worth watching if the draw of simply having attractive actors had to be replaced with having actually good writing!

lol good point. Although they're not mutually exclusive- like friends was craazy well written and had 6 very hot actors
Reply 29
Original post by Farm_Ecology
Attractiveness might be subjective, but the amount of people that find someone attractive is not.

There are several examples of how attractive people do better in society, and unattractive people do worse.

It's interesting you seem to consider that the validity of someones point is dependent on whether they can find a girlfriend or not. You're like those people declaring all feminists are fat and ugly.

*ignores where I state that he is a white man and therefore has no experience of racism or sexism* Iassumed you were ugly and sexually frustrated due to you making such an idiotic and ego-centric thread. You really think you being called ugly is worse than hundreds of years of slavery, colonisation, western imperialism and women being seen as men's property? Get the **** over yourself.
Reply 30
Original post by Treeroy
how can you even define someone as ugly? beauty is subjective, gender and race and sexuality etc are not.

Beauty is intersubjective. Therefore people can be ugly by the general consensus :tongue:
Reply 31
mate no. Have you seen the amount of ugly billionaires? As long as you have drive, intelligence and are business savvy your aesthetics don't matter.
Reply 32
Original post by JuliusDS92
I don't agree that the discrimination is at all similar or comparable, but the fact that some posters are in such fantastic denial over this is definitely part of the problem you highlight.

No one is saying that ugly people don't face discrimination, but to make such an idiotic statement that being called ugly is worse than racism and sexism is appalling. The statement also lacks intersectionality, as though only ugly white men exist. So you can't be non-white, female and ugly? Strange because according to a number of people on this site (see all the black girl threads) all black women are ugly simply by virtue of being black.
(edited 8 years ago)
This is actually very true.
Original post by hau28
*ignores where I state that he is a white man and therefore has no experience of racism or sexism* Iassumed you were ugly and sexually frustrated due to you making such an idiotic and ego-centric thread. You really think you being called ugly is worse than hundreds of years of slavery, colonisation, western imperialism and women being seen as men's property? Get the **** over yourself.

I didnt make this thread...
Reply 35
Original post by Farm_Ecology
I didnt make this thread...

My response is still relevant.
Original post by hau28
My response is still relevant.

You mean apart from that none of it applies to me?

Edit: To add to this. You decided to point out that the person was jaded by the very negative experiences that he was raising as an issue. And you think this somehow invalidates their point?
(edited 8 years ago)

can you give more specific examples?

Do you mean ugly people struggle to make friends?
This isn't true. People see me as average and are still horrible to me. I've seen good looking people get discriminated from friendship groups too as well as ugly people be accepted into various friendship groups.
What is the problem is popular people forcing their dislike on someone onto others, I've been victim to this numerous times
Fact. The discrimination that ugly people face is far, far worse than racism or sexism.

If you are average or good looking (most people); then you have social acceptance. Being average/good looking means that you will have social acceptance, whereas ugly people are always given the short end of the stick.

It makes me sick when people think that average/good looking people have problems. This is why I don't take Feminism seriously; the only women who face problems in society are the ugly ones. Their problems are very, very minor in contrast to the discrimination that ugly people face.

A rich ugly person will be more discriminated against than a poorer good looking person.

Latest