The Student Room Group

Is fat shaming ok?

Scroll to see replies

Depends on what you call fat shaming.

I don't think it's appropriate to be rude to people. But I also think it shouldn't be taboo to calmly and politely tell people that they have a weight problem. Note, this is not the reason for my weight gain but while gained my 6 stone, people were lying and saying I looked fine. Of course, I didn't want to be bullied either but I do think that brutal honesty is the best option :smile:. Infact, probably what kickstarted the weight loss for me were the comments guys made on gay dating apps. I realised that I did want to look attractive to the same sex and thus began making steps to reduce my weight.
(edited 8 years ago)
My mum used to tell me I was chunky. I took it to heart that I was fat and loss 2 stone.
May not have felt nice at the time but I looked and felt a lot better about myself afterwards. So overall it was a positive.
Now I've gotten fat again. People have got so PC that if you say 'I need to lose a few pounds' it's all false like 'no you don't omg you look fine', when your BMI is the top end of obese.
It's not okay to be unhealthily overweight and should be treated the same as someone noticing you've broken your arm. If any fat person was given the chance to look be fit at the drop of a hat, would any realistically say no?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 22
I'm sorry but you can't fat shame when you don't know the situation.

People may be fat because:
They're depressed
They have anxiety
Their parents brought them up to eat lots of food
They've been bullied
They've had an injury which means they can't exercise for a while

These are just some of the reasons. The phrase, "big is beautiful" is just to make big people feel better about their body because they are constantly fat shamed even by themselves.

It's hard to live as a fat person, constantly wanting to be beautiful because people tell you that you're ugly or that you can't fit into the same clothes as your friends and even if you do, you won't look nice.

It's the same as skinny shaming. Everyone has their own unique body size and we need to respect that I think. Don't you?
Yes 100%

I could do with being called a fatass for some motivation :colondollar:
I don't know if this counts as fat-shaming but the only time I'd say it's necessary is telling a parent/guardian that they need to be doing something about their obese or very overweight child, because it's not fair on the child to be growing up with health issues and (probably) being bullied just because their parents don't feed them properly. But I definitely wouldn't fat-shame the child - tell the parents without the child hearing, basically.
Original post by The Wavefunction
But they'll cost more than they put in. I, on the other hand, will cost less than i put in (in terms of obesity caused illness).

You drink (probably!) and I don't, so why should I subsidise your cirrhotic liver with my tax money?

If you look hard enough, everybody does something unhealthy that some other people don't. Some people will always get more benefit and draw more resources from the NHS than other people do, for various reasons, and there is no humane way to change that. You may as well stop moaning about it.
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
You drink (probably!) and I don't, so why should I subsidise your cirrhotic liver with my tax money?

If you look hard enough, everybody does something unhealthy that some other people don't. Some people will always get more benefit and draw more resources from the NHS than other people do, for various reasons, and there is no humane way to change that. You may as well stop moaning about it.

I drink, but well under a recommend limit. Even under the new ones brought out recently, from which it was stated have no effect on long term health.

You could have a "free" service, much like the one you have now, for ailments that are unavoidable, and then charge for ones that result from smoking, drugs, obesity, and alcoholism.
But they'll cost more than they put in. I, on the other hand, will cost less than i put in (in terms of obesity caused illness).

Exactly this

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by emma.v
I'm sorry but you can't fat shame when you don't know the situation.

People may be fat because:
They're depressed
They have anxiety
Their parents brought them up to eat lots of food
They've been bullied
They've had an injury which means they can't exercise for a while

These are just some of the reasons. The phrase, "big is beautiful" is just to make big people feel better about their body because they are constantly fat shamed even by themselves.

It's hard to live as a fat person, constantly wanting to be beautiful because people tell you that you're ugly or that you can't fit into the same clothes as your friends and even if you do, you won't look nice.

It's the same as skinny shaming. Everyone has their own unique body size and we need to respect that I think. Don't you?

So it's ok if you do know the situation?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I drink, but well under a recommend limit. Even under the new ones brought out recently, from which it was stated have no effect on long term health.

You could have a "free" service, much like the one you have now, for ailments that are unavoidable, and then charge for ones that result from smoking, drugs, obesity, and alcoholism.

That would result in more money needing to be spent on the NHS, and poorer health for people in general, for reasons best demonstrated by a parable that I have told before, and evidently need to tell again.

Joe is a working-class smoker. His doctor tells him that he has heart disease and needs a certain medication, but that under recent legislation, the NHS cannot pay for it, because his heart disease was likely caused by smoking. The drug is pricey but not that expensive, but all the same Joe is hard up at the moment and decides to put it off buying it until he has a bit more cash. After a month or so he forgets all about it.

A year later, Joe has a heart attack and is rushed to the hospital for emergency triple bypass surgery. He survives, thank goodness. The procedure and the ambulance ride that delivered him to the hospital cost thousands of pounds. Joe cannot pay and declares bankruptcy. The NHS is never paid in full for his surgery. This is a lose/lose situation: because the NHS did not pay a few hundred pounds for his medication, it lost thousands of pounds on his surgery and Joe had a completely avoidable heart attack.

In the United States, where the health service is partially privatised, I would estimate that this turn of events happens at least weekly. I am happy to live in a civilised country.
Original post by Moonstruck16
So it's ok if you do know the situation?

Posted from TSR Mobile

How do you know that you know the situation?
Reply 31
Is any sort of "shaming" okay? Like, think about it... what if someone started "hair shaming" or "ear shaming"? it's ridiculous! You don't know people's situations and they have the right to do what they want with their bodies! The idea of shaming people is not nice - why do it?

And doing it to give them a "kick up the back side....." If someone is overweight do you not think they know? They can see for themselves! Sometimes obesity goes deeper than just the amount that someone weighs; it's a lot more psychological than that.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
That would result in more money needing to be spent on the NHS, and poorer health for people in general, for reasons best demonstrated by a parable that I have told before, and evidently need to tell again.

Joe is a working-class smoker. His doctor tells him that he has heart disease and needs a certain medication, but that under recent legislation, the NHS cannot pay for it, because his heart disease was likely caused by smoking. The drug is pricey but not that expensive, but all the same Joe is hard up at the moment and decides to put it off buying it until he has a bit more cash. After a month or so he forgets all about it.

A year later, Joe has a heart attack and is rushed to the hospital for emergency triple bypass surgery. He survives, thank goodness. The procedure and the ambulance ride that delivered him to the hospital cost thousands of pounds. Joe cannot pay and declares bankruptcy. The NHS is never paid in full for his surgery. This is a lose/lose situation: because the NHS did not pay a few hundred pounds for his medication, it lost thousands of pounds on his surgery and Joe had a completely avoidable heart attack.

In the United States, where the health service is partially privatised, I would estimate that this turn of events happens at least weekly. I am happy to live in a civilised country.

If Joe is that hard up, he should stop smoking. They're quite pricey. Also, if he gave up I'm sure he'd be able to afford the meds. Joe's an absolute idiot for forgetting about the medication. Joe's case is an example of natural selection. Joe should have his assets seized.
Original post by AC57
Is any sort of "shaming" okay? Like, think about it... what if someone started "hair shaming" or "ear shaming"? it's ridiculous! You don't know people's situations and they have the right to do what they want with their bodies! The idea of shaming people is not nice - why do it?

Having a dodgey barnet doesn't really result in death/illness/burdening the NHS/burdening the tax payer, does it? I think you've missed the point. I'm not trying to promote bullying, but saying "big is beautiful" will help no one. It's wrong.
This whole big is beautiful thing needs to stop. It isn't. It's very unhealthy and a burden on the rest the nation.

I don't condone bullying, but if someone smokes people will often convey their disgust. The same goes for excessive drinking. So, what's the difference? Ultimately there isn't one.

There is a difference between acknowledging that a certain behaviour is unhealthy - which being overweight is - and bullying someone for it. Of course we should encourage people to have a healthy lifestyle but that doesn't mean that they should be bullied for it (which will make them less likely to improve their lifestyle, anyway).

On top of that, there is a difference between being overweight and and smoking/drinking. If you smoke, you're forcing everybody around you to breathe in carcinogenic and choking smoke. If you drink excessively, you're forcing people around you to deal with your drunken self. In contrast, it doesn't make an iota of a difference to me if I'm standing near someone who's overweight or someone who isn't.
(edited 8 years ago)
Smoking is something people do that also affects others. Being fat is something you are. That's the difference. I hate people who make comments to people about their appearance.
Reply 36
Having a dodgey barnet doesn't really result in death/illness/burdening the NHS/burdening the tax payer, does it? I think you've missed the point. I'm not trying to promote bullying, but saying "big is beautiful" will help no one. It's wrong.

Why can't big be beautiful though? Fair enough acknowledging a problem, but aggressively making someone feel bad about their image won't solve it either. More often than not it makes the problem worse.
As long as the fat people pay for their own treatment and do not receive disability allowance, then it is wrong. But if someone consciously gets obese and then claims free NHS surgical procedures, medication and benefits then they deserve to be fat shamed, publicly and in the masses
Reply 38
Not really, im obese, but not by choice. You can't imagine how might weight i've put on since starting my meds, and they can't change them.

As for anyone else who's over eating for any reason or not exercising because they are lazy, or have a disability or are old..etc, you need to be able to accept them to help them, pushing them out with hate will only make them worse. How you would you like it if I shamed you because of how ignorant you are. how would that feel?, wouldn't it feel better, if you had someone that understood the bid bit of you and helped you change?

Take care

Zoe
Original post by littlenorthernlass
Smoking is something people do that also affects others. Being fat is something you are. That's the difference. I hate people who make comments to people about their appearance.

You're a beautiful angel :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending