The Student Room Group

Hate my course

I absolutely hate my degree. I'm a first year undergraduate Psychology student. Ever since I started my degree, I have found nothing that interests me. NOTHING. I tried changing course but didn't find any appealing. In short, I know for a fact that uni clearly isn't for me. I'm not committed to my course and basically don't want to study further. I was under a lot of pressure when I applied even though a part of me wanted to go to uni, I had no idea what to study and the conclusion is that I just want to drop out and take my time to decide what I want as I know I'm not going to practice psychology ever.

The reason I'm writing this is that I resat my first year of A levels and since then my family has been calling me a failure and everything I say just doesn't matter to them because apparently "I'm uneducated and dumb". I don't think it's smart to torture yourself by doing a degree that you are never going to practice. I'm really upset and incredibly stressed out and have basically reached breaking point. Please help out as to what I can do?
I think you know the right thing for you. Don't let your family put you through hell for the next 3 years just to prove them wrong. I'm sure there is plently of other ways.
Original post by Noodlzzz
I think you know the right thing for you. Don't let your family put you through hell for the next 3 years just to prove them wrong. I'm sure there is plently of other ways.

The thing is, I already am not respected by family and relatives at all even after I got to uni as they still label me a failure for failing 2 AS levels. My family only talks to me with respect when I get good grades especially my dad . And the main problem here is that at the moment I don't know what to do. Literally want to stay home for months till I figure out what I should study to find a decent job. Moving out is not an option as I come from a horrible culture where even thinking about moving out for girls is considered utter stupidity and immaturity. Do you know anyone personally whose done really well without going to uni? WOuld mean the world to me. Thank you for your response.
Reply 3
Original post by sweetspice123
The thing is, I already am not respected by family and relatives at all even after I got to uni as they still label me a failure for failing 2 AS levels. My family only talks to me with respect when I get good grades especially my dad . And the main problem here is that at the moment I don't know what to do. Literally want to stay home for months till I figure out what I should study to find a decent job. Moving out is not an option as I come from a horrible culture where even thinking about moving out for girls is considered utter stupidity and immaturity. Do you know anyone personally whose done really well without going to uni? WOuld mean the world to me. Thank you for your response.

Have you had a look at apprenticeships? Or maybe try looking for permanent jobs now and when you find a good one you can drop out of uni? It's a hard situation but if you're sure University isn't for you then there's no point wasting 3 years and getting a massive debt just to please other people. Try your best to explain how you feel to your parents because parents always just want what they believe to be the best for their kids. Btw most psychology grads don't go on to become psychologists, there's other things you can do with the degree too.
At the end of the day happiness is so much more important than prestige or the image you portray to others, if your family aren't supportive then maybe they need to take a look at how they can make a positive influence on your life rather than trying to convince you to do something you don't want to do. Although in saying that, while uni may not be for you, don't be too hasty making a decision, have a meeting with your advisor to discuss your plan of action, good luck!
Original post by sweetspice123
I absolutely hate my degree. I'm a first year undergraduate Psychology student. Ever since I started my degree, I have found nothing that interests me. NOTHING. I tried changing course but didn't find any appealing. In short, I know for a fact that uni clearly isn't for me. I'm not committed to my course and basically don't want to study further. I was under a lot of pressure when I applied even though a part of me wanted to go to uni, I had no idea what to study and the conclusion is that I just want to drop out and take my time to decide what I want as I know I'm not going to practice psychology ever.

The reason I'm writing this is that I resat my first year of A levels and since then my family has been calling me a failure and everything I say just doesn't matter to them because apparently "I'm uneducated and dumb". I don't think it's smart to torture yourself by doing a degree that you are never going to practice. I'm really upset and incredibly stressed out and have basically reached breaking point. Please help out as to what I can do?

Sorry to hear your family treat you so poorly :frown:

Do you have any other family members you can live with who might be more supportive?
Original post by JuliusDS92
Sorry to hear your family treat you so poorly :frown:

Do you have any other family members you can live with who might be more supportive?

No, I don't have relatives in UK.

Quick Reply

Latest