The Student Room Group

Too weak to do push-ups, please help!

I really want to do the Buzzfeed 4-week challenge but I have already stumbled on the first hurdle - push-ups. My arms are really skinny and weak and I can't even lift myself up from the ground :sad:

Does anyone know of anything I can do to actually be able to do even one set of push ups? If there are any good online resources please tell me, I can't find any good ones. :frown:

Thank you...
Original post by DedicatedWizard
I really want to do the Buzzfeed 4-week challenge but I have already stumbled on the first hurdle - push-ups. My arms are really skinny and weak and I can't even lift myself up from the ground :sad:

Does anyone know of anything I can do to actually be able to do even one set of push ups? If there are any good online resources please tell me, I can't find any good ones. :frown:

Thank you...

I was in a similar position to you and it just took me plenty of practice. Just keep trying and you'll get there eventually. :wink:
Original post by Matrix123
I was in a similar position to you and it just took me plenty of practice. Just keep trying and you'll get there eventually. :wink:

It's really hard to even try to lift myself, my arms hurt immediately and I usually give up.

Is there a way to make my arm muscles stronger or something?
Start off with just 'negatives'.

Don't do the pushing up part of the movement, just get into the final position and lower yourself slowly to the starting position. Keep building on this until you can do it a few times. Eventually, you should be strong enough to actually do a proper pushup.
It's really hard to even try to lift myself, my arms hurt immediately and I usually give up.

Start doing them on your knee's, its easier than a full press up and will help you build up your strength.

(edited 8 years ago)

You could try weight lifting with really small weights. You don't have to do much but daily practice will help get your arms a bit stronger. @dairychocolate 's advice is very good too.
Thank you guys! All repped :smile:

Thank you...

Try push-ups from the knees. For girls, the most it:wink:

Quick Reply

Latest