The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

MSc in Financial Economics- University of Oxford

Hi! I am a final year economics student (undergraduate level) from India. I have received an offer letter from Oxford for MFE. However, I am not too clear about the value for money of the course for people like me with no prior work experience. Also, I am not too clear about the kind of career opportunities that will open up after the course for a student with profile like mine..

If somebody could shed a little light on these issues, I will be really grateful. :smile:
Reply 1
I think that studying at Oxford would significantly increase career opportunity, especially if you're willing to leave India for work. I can't really speak to whether an Oxford degree will particularly valuable if you plan to remain in India, but I'm quite sure that the difference in career opportunity would be very noticeable in the US and England, where I'd expect the most lucrative career opportunities are.
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 2
oh okay, thank you! I have another question.. when you talk of lucrative career opportunities, what kind of options are you talking about other than jobs in IBs and consultancies??
Reply 3
To be honest, I don't really know what other kinds of jobs people get with financial economics degrees (not that other jobs don't exist, I just don't know anything about them.)
Hi, I have received and recently accepted an offer for MFE. Even though I have work experience, the Oxford Finance Lab is a unique opportunity to engage with employers. That, coupled with the reputation of the university, is more than sufficient to land a job in my view.

The only caveat is if you want to work for a bulge bracket, you'd need to start sending out applications as early as September, however, interviews are likely to take place later on in the year, giving you sufficient time to interact with Said's careers support.

Hope this helps!
May I know when did you receive and offer and when did you apply?
Original post by karokaro22
May I know when did you receive and offer and when did you apply?

I was a Round 2 applicant, so I applied just before October 30th. I got my offer on December 11th.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending