The Student Room Group
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website

Weather in Swansea !

What is the weather like in Swansea? Does it always rain? I have applied there and they have given me an offer, however, the weather plays an affect on my decision to continue my further education at Swansea.

Any information will be really helpful ! Thank you :smile:
Original post by Resonxnce
What is the weather like in Swansea? Does it always rain? I have applied there and they have given me an offer, however, the weather plays an affect on my decision to continue my further education at Swansea.

I rains and rains and then rains some more. It is a very rainy city one of the rainiest in the UK. Most of the western coast is the same. However we do get some lovely days as well and during those times you will be able to visit Britain's First Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty known as the Gower which is on the doorstep

http://www.visitswanseabay.com/downloads/?resource=5245&token=d579c21af6f9e0e2b2f59b072132554622158ce3

(edited 8 years ago)
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by swanseajack1
I rains and rains and then rains some more. It is a very rainy city one of the rainiest in the UK. Most of the western coast is the same. However we do get some lovely days as well and during those times you will be able to visit Britain's First Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty known as the Gower which is on the doorstep

http://www.visitswanseabay.com/downloads/?resource=5245&token=d579c21af6f9e0e2b2f59b072132554622158ce3

Some lovely days? How many lovely days on average in a month would you say? And yeah the Gower does look beautiful haha.

Thank you for replying :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Some lovely days? How many lovely days on average in a month would you say? And yeah the Gower does look beautiful haha.

Thank you for replying :smile:

its difficult to say October was pretty good quite a few dry days. December has been horrible it has rained nearly every day. obviously the winter is far worse than the summer when the weather is better. probably march time you will get quite a few sunny days. it is so unpredictable you never can tell but whatever the weather don't let it spoil your experience. the first year you will live on campus so wont have far to walk. There are now 2 campuses the new bay campus that houses engineering and business and has direct access onto a beach and the older campus which really has a stunning location in a huge park over the road from a beach. the park includes a boating lake with swans and a botanical garden. I don't know where your from but all wales and western England like Liverpool and Manchester also suffer from lots of rain. The south east tends to be drier.

http://www.holiday-weather.com/swansea/averages/

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/soggiest-city-britain-pays-high-2440570
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by swanseajack1
its difficult to say October was pretty good quite a few dry days. December has been horrible it has rained nearly every day. obviously the winter is far worse than the summer when the weather is better. probably march time you will get quite a few sunny days. it is so unpredictable you never can tell but whatever the weather don't let it spoil your experience. the first year you will live on campus so wont have far to walk. There are now 2 campuses the new bay campus that houses engineering and business and has direct access onto a beach and the older campus which really has a stunning location in a huge park over the road from a beach. the park includes a boating lake with swans and a botanical garden. I don't know where your from but all wales and western England like Liverpool and Manchester also suffer from lots of rain. The south east tends to be drier.

http://www.holiday-weather.com/swansea/averages/

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/soggiest-city-britain-pays-high-2440570

But what confuses me is, how am I supposed to enjoy the beautiful parts of Swansea when it is raining the majority of the time? I'm from London and I love being around nature. That's what draws me towards Wales. I know it's beautiful.

I am torn between Sussex, near Brighton, and Swansea

At the open day, I was told it was 'Britain's wettest city'.

After 3 years there, it certainly did see its fair share of rain. But when it was sunny, it was one of the nicest places I've ever been. Taking a walk on the beach in the sunshine after your lectures on a Friday afternoon or cycling along the beachfront over to the Mumbles and stopping for ice cream was unbeatable.

So yeah, it rains, but name somewhere in the UK that doesn't.
But what confuses me is, how am I supposed to enjoy the beautiful parts of Swansea when it is raining the majority of the time? I'm from London and I love being around nature. That's what draws me towards Wales. I know it's beautiful.

I am torn between Sussex, near Brighton, and Swansea

You can still get around and see nature even when it rains. To be honest Swansea is a million miles away from London. It is far more relaxed and friendly more green and on the seaside. Even when it rains it doesn't always rain all day but you get used to it and unless it is chucking it down like it has recently you just get on with life.

Over the past couple of years that has been floods in Somerset, South East England, Cumbria, Lancashire and Yorkshire but there have not been major floods in Swansea
Reply 7
Thank you so much for the insight guys. Legends !

Quick Reply

Latest